Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Game 10 thoughts/rant about the WR core

Default Game 10 thoughts/rant about the WR core

The good
    The chiefs didn't get blown out like many thought

Alex Smith played well overall

The defense made a number of stops held manning to 1 passing td

The bad

Our WR core It sucks. You can call me negitive but I'm just calling it like I see it. This is not a one night bad night thing. This has been something that has happened all year long. It was what largely cost the Chiefs the ball game. They couldn't get open. And to me something that I'm starting to see more and more of with them if they don't get open right away they just stop and start watching Alex. That's not going to get the job done. Quiting on the play is just not going to work. If this WR core can't get their together this team isn't going to head anywhere. Again you can call me negitive all you want but that's just how I fell about the WRS on this team right now. They just are NOT getting the job done. People will bash Alex but he CAN NOT catch the ball for these guys. That's not his job. Alex misses some throws yes every QB does just like every team has drops but this team has way to many drops and it's costing the offense like they did tonight. I'm growing tired of this. This team is so close to being able to compete for a title but the WRS are slacking off on the job and they don't seem to care.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Can anyone answer my questions about why Alex Smith can't throw a Hail Mary? I watched till the very last second just to see what would happen with Alex trying the ultimate deep ball, but he wouldn't even attemp it

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Can anyone answer my questions about why Alex Smith can't throw a Hail Mary? I watched till the very last second just to see what would happen with Alex trying the ultimate deep ball, but he wouldn't even attemp it
    Well, it could be because Alex doesn't have any receivers that can catch it if he did throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Oops, I must have blinked and missed that.
    They're much more noticeable when the reciever CATCHES THE )(%*!$!!'n ball. But yes, we've been running a lot more 10-15 yard pass plays instead of the 5-8 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    I feel like people have been saying "KC is rebuilding" for the past 9 years
    Because we have been rebuilding. Not successfully though. I have more confidence in the current regime than in the previous two put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nobody has mentioned how Marcus Cooper was routinely targeted and abused last night.
    Please folks, stay off of this guy's back. HE IS A ROOKIE FOR PETE's SAKES. A converted one at that and in the biggest most pressure filled venue he's ever had to perform. Can you really blame him for being a little wide eyed and overwhelmed early? Veteran QBs test a young kid in the group all the time, and he was being tested by the big bad Peyton freaking Manning. Can you imagine the pressure his young mind was under?!

Cooper wasn't "routinely abused." He fell off the horse but kept getting back on. By the end of the game he was playing as solid as anyone in the secondary. Dude, is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    They're much more noticeable when the reciever CATCHES THE )(%*!$!!'n ball. But yes, we've been running a lot more 10-15 yard pass plays instead of the 5-8 ones.
    To me, running correct routs means the receiver manages to get open, despite shortcomings in speed or size. When our receivers have to battle for every ball with two other pairs of hands it means the desired routs have not been run.

Who is our receivers coach BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Right on. All I've been hearing is how great Denver's defense is with Von Miller's return. Miller didn't do squat last night & the Chiefs blocked him very well. It was poor play-calling, poor execution, penalties at critical times, and especially dropped passes that stopped the Chiefs Offense, not Denver's defense. The media has been talking this dumb trash, saying "the outcome was never in doubt", but that's pure BS. It was 17-10 throughout most of the 3rd QTR and the Chiefs Offense had multiple chances to move down the field & tighten the score, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot by failing to do basic things. The penalty by Avery was just totally retarded & that was a pivotal play that the media doesn't point out.

As for SD, their Offense has been struggling as late. I believe the Chiefs Defense can hold them in check. The big question is can the Chiefs Offense learn to quit stopping themselves & start doing things that they need to to move the ball and score more points?
    Von Miller's play was tough to decipher. It's not that his play was bad, but it's not like it was the thing that defined the outcome of the game. I thought that Sean Phillips had more effect on the KC O-line than anyone else. Fisher and Miller had some battles going, most of them ending with Fisher keeping him in check. Fisher lost it when he did get beat, though. Regardless of what Denver's media or fans think - It was a case of KC shooting itself in the foot, NOT Denver pulling the trigger. If half of those dropped passes had been caught, different ball game altogether. Just like what happened in Buffalo. Except this time it was Avery instead of McCluster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    To me, running correct routs means the receiver manages to get open, despite shortcomings in speed or size. When our receivers have to battle for every ball with two other pairs of hands it means the desired routs have not been run.

Who is our receivers coach BTW?
    Our "Assistant Head Coach" is also our WR Coach, David Culley. http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/coaches...4-2b8c0ff0cc02

Route means path of travel - being where you're supposed to be when the ball is delivered. Getting open has more to do with playcalling vs. their playcalling, and ability (namely speed or jukes/fakes). Having to battle for a ball doesn't mean you've ran a bad route, it means their defensive playcalling is catching on to the gameplan, and their defender has the ability to stay with you.

Von Miller's play was tough to decipher. It's not that his play was bad, but it's not like it was the thing that defined the outcome of the game. I thought that Sean Phillips had more effect on the KC O-line than anyone else. Fisher and Miller had some battles going, most of them ending with Fisher keeping him in check. Fisher lost it when he did get beat, though. Regardless of what Denver's media or fans think - It was a case of KC shooting itself in the foot, NOT Denver pulling the trigger. If half of those dropped passes had been caught, different ball game altogether. Just like what happened in Buffalo. Except this time it was Avery instead of McCluster.
    And of course, you won't see any of Denver fans making mention of that & all around the web they're talking like they won in dominating fashion from start to finish, when they didn't. Even at 24-10 late in the 3rd QTR, the game wasn't in the bag for the Donks, as that's only two plays and it not like no team has ever come from behind to overcome that. Here's a great example:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...8909240phi.htm

Not saying that Alex is Joe Montana, but he has led some comeback wins before, but he can't do it on his own. The support he needed last night wasn't there.

Our "Assistant Head Coach" is also our WR Coach, David Culley. http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/coaches...4-2b8c0ff0cc02

Route means path of travel - being where you're supposed to be when the ball is delivered. Getting open has more to do with playcalling vs. their playcalling, and ability (namely speed or jukes/fakes). Having to battle for a ball doesn't mean you've ran a bad route, it means their defensive playcalling is catching on to the gameplan, and their defender has the ability to stay with you.
    Running routs are subject to correct execution. If the receiver does not execute them well, then he's not getting any separation unless it's by accident.

As for WR coach, here's where I almost wish we had Todd Haley there. There's no question that he was responsible for Bowe's development. And without Haley's effect, and with the big contract, it seems D-Bowe has regressed some. I don't know if Culley is the task master Haley was.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast