Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I have not been impressed with Cassel

Default I have not been impressed with Cassel

I don't think he sucks, and I know we our offense is still in the gelling process, but I honest don't think he is elite or ever will be elite. I don't think he has great accuracy, I don't think he has a great arm, and I don't think he has great vision either. I would say he will be a good quaterback, but never be great. Heres the thing we don't need great, we need good we need a guy that doesn't throw a lot of of interceptions, which he doesn't, but we also need accuracy and right now he doesn't have it, right now he is not a good QB. Trent Green was a good QB behind phenomenal line he had great accuracy and an average arm. Cassel doesn't have the luxury of a good line, and has bad accuracy he overthrows balls or underthrows so when a receiver catches the ball he has to slow down to catch it because of his slow release. I don't think he is worth what we are paying him, because I think he is a 3rd pick at best and we are paying him like a 1st rounder which he isn't. I think we need to work on our O-line and possible pick up a QB with that second round pick we got for Tony, im not saying we should get rid of Cassel but he does need competition which Brody is not going to give him not because Brodie isn't good but Brodie gets hurt too easy so he will pretty much always be a career back up.

As disappointing as 2-7 is, at least we can say that, other than the first Oakland game, we've beaten every team with a losing record and only lost to teams with a winning record.

I'm just not sure we can hang this guy just yet. With the terrible O line we have and the glaring lack of weapons he has, the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. We saw him in NE produce even though he had been sacked a ton but I just don't see how anyone could be successfull with no weapons and no O line.

I am very impressed with his toughness. He needs to work on his vision, in particular, spotting the open man, but again that is hard to do when all you see is 350 pounds of defensive lineman on your face.

I think he will be a good QB for us. He has struggled this year and has made some mistakes but that is the way it will be for any young QB. I don't think he was an upgrade over Thigpen, but he is better than Croyle.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I am very impressed with his toughness. He needs to work on his vision, in particular, spotting the open man, but again that is hard to do when all you see is 350 pounds of defensive lineman on your face.

I think he will be a good QB for us. He has struggled this year and has made some mistakes but that is the way it will be for any young QB. I don't think he was an upgrade over Thigpen, but he is better than Croyle.
    He has defently proven he can take a hit. he has done nothing put get right back up. He has not proved that hes worth 60 million. But he also has not proven that hes not worth that or might not live up to that. Time will just have to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    He has defently proven he can take a hit. he has done nothing put get right back up. He has not proved that hes worth 60 million. But he also has not proven that hes not worth that or might not live up to that. Time will just have to tell.
    He can take a hit but can't hit his receivers worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    He can take a hit but can't hit his receivers worth a damn.
    Thats because he's too busy taking hits...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I didn't know Ricky Williams was our QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    And it's mostly his fault he needs to quit having stage fright and release the damn ball, that's why last year and this year he has been the most sacked QB. Tom Brady was sacked 21 times in 2007 Matt Cassel with the same line and one game less was sacked 47 times thats more then double the amount with the same line, so it's not just our crappy line Matt needs to release the ball sooner not just to avoid a sack, but he needs to hit his receivers sooner so they don't have to slow down to make the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    And it's mostly his fault he needs to quit having stage fright and release the damn ball, that's why last year and this year he has been the most sacked QB. Tom Brady was sacked 21 times in 2007 Matt Cassel with the same line and one game less was sacked 47 times thats more then double the amount with the same line, so it's not just our crappy line Matt needs to release the ball sooner not just to avoid a sack, but he needs to hit his receivers sooner so they don't have to slow down to make the catch.
    Unfortunately, if he "quits having stage freight", then he is likelier to be injured. If he does find a way to ignore the pressure, then he will start taking harder hits, without being able to prepare for impact.

So, while that was my criticism of his play with The Patriots, I can't really be as judgemental about this season.

Both sides to this argument have good points. We all agree the OL stinks.
    Cassell was sacked twice as much in 2008 than Brady in 2007, but then again I believe Brady is being sacked more this year than in 2007.
    I agree Cassell holds the ball too long. But if he could trust the WR to run the correct routes and be were they should be, maybe he would have the confidence to relaease the ball earlier.
    All I'm saying is it's a combined effort, OL, QB, WR and coaching.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast