Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    About the 12 minute mark in the 2nd quarter, Okung took the wrong guy and Hasselbeck got hit from a guy coming off the corner
    Okung didn't miss his block. What you're compalining about is Okung's inability to guard two bodies with his one.

....several hurries, a holding...
    That isn't bad at all for a rookie LT.

I just like to give brdemspey crap about his boyfriend.
    I get that, but your complaints just aren't valid. Okung had a terrific game and is the best rookie OL this year by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Okung didn't miss his block. What you're compalining about is Okung's inability to guard two bodies with his one.
    It was the long pass to Mike Williams down the right sideline (incomplete)...Okung double-teamed the defensive end with the guard and a blitzer came off the edge and got Hasselbeck. He also got away with a second holding, but can't really fault him for that if it's not called.

That isn't bad at all for a rookie LT.
    It's not terrific either.

I get that, but your complaints just aren't valid. Okung had a terrific game and is the best rookie OL this year by a long shot.
    I agree about the latter of that statement.

And if that's terrific, then I'd like to just say Albert's performance against Freeney was terrific. A couple hurries, one hit.

...I just like to give brdemspey crap about his boyfriend.
    Sounds like sour grapes. Okung was simply my preferred player going into the 2010 draft, and I'm not alone believing it was a mistake passing on him. Your statement referring to Okung as "boyfriend" isn't any different than me telling you "you like wearing rose colored glasses for the sake of your butt-buddy Albert" -- but I never suggested such -- until now.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Sounds like sour grapes. Okung was simply my preferred player going into the 2010 draft, and I'm not alone believing it was a mistake passing on him. Your statement referring to Okung as "boyfriend" isn't any different than me telling you "you like wearing rose colored glasses for the sake of your butt-buddy Albert" -- but I never suggested such -- until now.
    All I'm saying is that you're quick to judge Albert, while not doing the same w/ Okung. That is all.

I actually think we are better off to look for an LOT in free agency.

Overall, I think we are at the point where hopefully the draft won't be as important as a few free agent acquisitions. I think the "window" has opened for us and we are good enough now that we should be looking to develop guys but bringing in guys to fill the now finite number of holes we have.

As such, I think we need to trade our #1 pick, preferably for Fitzgerald but if not him than some other impact player. Also, I think we need to make a splash in free agency. I don't like the idea of drafting a WR (which is our biggest need) because they are a 50/50 proposition at best.

We can get a a center-of-the-future with a later round pick. If we are going to spend our #1 on a draft pick I think it should be at NT or OLB and then go after a WR in free agency. I am not completely sold with Albert at LOT, but it certainly isn't as a big a position of need as at the moment as WR, OLB and NT.

The time is now. We need to act, draft and deal with FA like a team preparing for a superbowl run, not one that is rebuilding anymore.

And if that's terrific, then I'd like to just say Albert's performance against Freeney was terrific. A couple hurries, one hit.
    Albert *did* do a terrific job against Freeney. Our whole OL did great that game.

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    I actually think we are better off to look for an LOT in free agency.

Overall, I think we are at the point where hopefully the draft won't be as important as a few free agent acquisitions. I think the "window" has opened for us and we are good enough now that we should be looking to develop guys but bringing in guys to fill the now finite number of holes we have.

As such, I think we need to trade our #1 pick, preferably for Fitzgerald but if not him than some other impact player. Also, I think we need to make a splash in free agency. I don't like the idea of drafting a WR (which is our biggest need) because they are a 50/50 proposition at best.

We can get a a center-of-the-future with a later round pick. If we are going to spend our #1 on a draft pick I think it should be at NT or OLB and then go after a WR in free agency. I am not completely sold with Albert at LOT, but it certainly isn't as a big a position of need as at the moment as WR, OLB and NT.

The time is now. We need to act, draft and deal with FA like a team preparing for a superbowl run, not one that is rebuilding anymore.

That I agree with you on 100%. I no Brdempsey talks about Albert giveing up 7.75 sacks this year but if you look at that and think about it that's not even 1/2 a sack a game. We can live with that. Getting someone who can get to the Qb for our Defense and someone that can be more consitant at WR then Bowe are more important to us winning games.

If we can upgrade the LOT postion just like any other I say fine lets do it. But I don't see that as a must do this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    That I agree with you on 100%. I no Brdempsey talks about Albert giveing up 7.75 sacks this year but if you look at that and think about it that's not even 1/2 a sack a game. We can live with that. Getting someone who can get to the Qb for our Defense and someone that can be more consitant at WR then Bowe are more important to us winning games.

If we can upgrade the LOT postion just like any other I say fine lets do it. But I don't see that as a must do this offseason.
    You summed up my thoughts perfectly.

All I'm saying is that you're quick to judge Albert, while not doing the same w/ Okung. That is all.
    And that is where you are wrong -- TOTALLY. I watched Okung give up a sack and strip against SF and never have I defended any him for anything. That's the exception with Okung -- not the rule. The way Albert got beat over the last part of the season was more the rule than the exception. I've said Okung's a better LT than Albert -- BECAUSE THAT'S THE GOSPEL TRUTH !!

And I just watched that 2nd QTR of the Hawks-Bears game and I must now ask -- what type of glue do you have in your possession? 3 plays in that 2nd QTR -- that's it, 3 plays where Okung struggled and you call that getting whooped? At least he wasn't standing there with his hands on his hips watching his QB get creamed on those 3 plays.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    ...I no Brdempsey talks about Albert giveing up 7.75 sacks this year but if you look at that and think about it that's not even 1/2 a sack a game. We can live with that.
    And at least 6 of those sacks came in the last month of the season -- not just 3 as was stated earlier, that's bogus. Please explain how that qualifies as "improvement". It's not -- it's regression. As far as living with that, who is "we"? Are you pregnant and expecting twins?