Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Crowd

Default Chiefs Crowd

I would like to say a few things to everybody on the board:

I didn't know I rubbed that many people the wrong way on this site, that was never my intention. I will admit that I have been too negative with this regime, even though I originally supported the hiring of Reid and Dorsey. In almost every post I talk about Alex Smith and I realize I have been quite critical of the qb, this has also upset some. I just want this team to do well, I really do. It upsets me that I see a talented team held back with what I believe to be a game manager. However, I do understand Smith is our quarterback atleast for the time being and in the future if I continue to post I promise to be more objective and far less critical.

-MMO

^^BINGO, ctchiefsfan. As I've pointed out many times, the best QB's in Chiefs history have came via trade or FA while their success rate at drafting QB's has been a total dud. That, in itself, should tell Chiefs fans to rethink their obsession with drafting a QB and be willing to give Alex Smith and Chase Daniel a fair chance -- at least for 2 or 3 seasons.

MMH. Most people would be okay if you were more objective in your arguments. You absolutely bashed anyone that defended Matt Cassel, yet when Geno threw there picks and had that ridiculously bad safety, you defended him the very way of some us defended Cassel. You know the receiver should have caught that, he was pressured, he had one bad throw. You pull stats to legitamize your claim, yet doesn't portray the story accurately and then just go nuts on those that "drink the koolaid" or are "homers".

Okay you were right about The team last year. It was more than just a QB, without a doubt the worst coaching staff ever assembled. Alex hasn't even played a regular season game for us yet but he sucks. Andy Reid hasn't coached a regular season game and he's stupid for believing in Alex.

Anyway you are a half empty cup kinda guy.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^BINGO, ctchiefsfan. As I've pointed out many times, the best QB's in Chiefs history have came via trade or FA while their success rate at drafting QB's has been a total dud. That, in itself, should tell Chiefs fans to rethink their obsession with drafting a QB and be willing to give Alex Smith and Chase Daniel a fair chance -- at least for 2 or 3 seasons.
    ?

KC has 1 super bowl from doing that out of how many tries

Also i'm not happy about the trade but i'm giving the guy a chance
    Last edited by doobs_05; 08-28-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    ?

KC has 1 super bowl from doing that out of how many tries

Also i'm not happy about the trade but i'm giving the guy a chance
    And how many SB's do they have with the 2 QB's that they did draft in round 1 and the two QB's they took at the top of round 2 under Marty and Carl? How many post-season wins with any of those guys as the starter? ZERO.

So 4 tries out of how many they tried with the FA?

But it doesn't matter, you think the best way is picking up a FA will bring a super bowl one day and i think the path is to get a QB drafted and developed. I would jump on the FA bandwagon if it was one of the Elite QB who was a FA (Rodgers, Brady, etc..) but then age becomes a factor

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    So 4 tries out of how many they tried with the FA?

But it doesn't matter, you think the best way is picking up a FA will bring a super bowl one day and i think the path is to get a QB drafted and developed. I would jump on the FA bandwagon if it was one of the Elite QB who was a FA (Rodgers, Brady, etc..) but then age becomes a factor
    No, I don't "think" that going the FA/trade route is the best way to get a QB. The Chiefs history has proven that and therefore one can take it for fact.

I didn't say bringing in a QB via FA/trade would win them a SB, although it's already happened. I said the most successful QB's in their history have come via trade/FA. I also mentioned that the Chiefs are ZERO for 17 drafting QB's since 1970 with not one of them becoming a long-term starter and just about all cases, not even a decent backup.

As far as "drafting & developing" a QB, it hasn't happened in this teams history since 1970. In fact, the closest thing was 2nd round draftee Mike Livingston in 1968 and he never did permanently displace Len Dawson until Dawson retired after 1975. Therefore, I would highly suggest to those that are wanting this team to draft & develop a QB, don't hold your breath because you're going to most likely suffocate. How did the latest, Stanzi, do, BTW?

Besides, this obsession with drafting and developing a QB is primarily a "monkey see, monkey do" type thing with people thinking that just because it worked for other teams means that the Chiefs have to do the same, but they don't realize that what happens with other teams is irrelevant to what happens in KC.

The "Chiefs overpaid for Alex Smith" argument MMH keeps making is just funny to me considering it's coming from a guy who wanted to take Geno Smith #1 overall.

His whole argument is counterintuitive. He says Alex Smith sucks and isn't worth 2 2nd round picks. Well, he's in luck... because if Alex Smith sucks, he'll only be worth a 2nd and a 3rd. If the Chiefs end up spending 2 2nd round picks, it'll be because Alex DIDN'T suck and the 2nd pick will be a late pick in the round anyway. So, according to the draft trade point chart, the 1st pick in the 2nd rd this year was worth 580 points. If the Chiefs go .500 or better, they'll have to pay the 2nd 2nd rd price tag in 2014. If Alex "sucks" and they don't go .500, it'll be a 3rd round pick. According to last year's draft, that puts the pick anywhere from picks 47-80. That point range is 430-190.

So, if Alex Smith "sucks" as has been argued by MMH over and over again in every thread started on this forum, the Chiefs will end up below .500 and the Chiefs will end up spending 580+~230 for a 29 yo former #1 overall pick with 7 years NFL experience and who rated as a top 5 QB over the last 2 seasons. So, ~810 pts roughly...

Conversely, MMH argues that the Chiefs should have spent the #1 overall pick (3000 POINTS) on a player who went in the 2nd round as the 2nd QB taken in his class, can't supplant the statistically worst QB in the NFL over the last 2 seasons, won only 2 games over the final 8 of his senior season (against teams with a combined record of 7-18), has already been injured, played horribly last week with 3 picks and a safety (ran out of the endzone) right after his coach-described "BRUTAL" day of practice where he threw ANOTHER 3 INT's. Also, don't forget THIS happened... and THIS happened as well. The dude is a mental midget.

You tell me what the better value is... A maximum 1010pts for Alex or 3x that number for Geno.

Pointing out the obvious is still like talking to a brick wall.

No, I don't "think" that going the FA/trade route is the best way to get a QB. The Chiefs history has proven that and therefore one can take it for fact. ...
    I wasn't aware that we have the same owner, GM and head coach that we had in 1970. Oh, wait a second ... We don't.

Besides, this obsession with drafting and developing a QB is primarily a "monkey see, monkey do" type thing with people thinking that just because it worked for other teams means that the Chiefs have to do the same, but they don't realize that what happens with other teams is irrelevant to what happens in KC.
    Other teams have done it. Why can't the Chiefs?

I'm in total agreement that we shouldn't have drafted a QB, this year. Alex was far and away the better choice for this team. But it sounds like you are saying that we should never draft and develop a QB because other Chiefs GMs and head coaches have failed in the past. Don't even try.

The Chiefs haven't won a Super Bowl in a very long time, either. Should they quit trying to do that, too?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Not trying to draft and develop a QB is a horrible strategy... but it's not NEARLY as bad as drafting and trying to develop the WRONG QB. This was a horrible year to try and force a QB selection #1 overall. I've said it before: the Chiefs probably wound up with the worst #1 overall pick in the history of the NFL as it pertains to overall elite talent available. That's not a knock on Fisher, but the Chiefs ended up with the #1 pick the year AFTER Andrew Luck and the year BEFORE Clowney... there just wasn't any "elite" talent available. As the preseason wears on, that assertion is becoming more and more evident as most rookies seem to be disappointing in camp and preseason.

Also, the Chiefs got a rookie QB to try and develop. Just because he wasn't drafted does not mean Bray is void of talent and incapable of being an elite starter in this league. I am very interested to see what he does in the future. Again, it's not about where you find the QB that is important... it's about WHO that QB is and if he's worth the investment in draft value, contract value, and time value. Evidently, the new management thinks Bray is worth the monetary and time investment needed to develop the junior out of Tennessee.
    Last edited by texaschief; 08-28-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I wasn't aware that we have the same owner, GM and head coach that we had in 1970. Oh, wait a second ... We don't.
    WTF does who the owner, GM, and coach have to do with anything? The owner, GM, Coach has proven to be irrelevant. They all failed when it came to drafting QB's, in spite of many those QB's being decent prospects. Even Stanzi was a decent prospect & look what happened to him. Couldn't even beat Palko out for playing time.

Other teams have done it. Why can't the Chiefs?
    That's my point. The Chiefs haven't done it -- making it irrelevant what other teams have done. ZERO for 17 since 1970 and when your success rate is that bad, you had damn well better be looking at other alternatives.

I'm in total agreement that we shouldn't have drafted a QB, this year. Alex was far and away the better choice for this team. But it sounds like you are saying that we should never draft and develop a QB because other Chiefs GMs and head coaches have failed in the past. Don't even try.
    How much you want to bet that a QB drafted by the current regime will have suffer the same fate of the previous 17 drafted by previous regimes. The only thing that no regime has tried is drafting TWO QB's in the same draft -- which is why I suggested double-dipping at the QB position, if they drafted a QB in 2013 prior to the 2013 draft.

The Chiefs haven't won a Super Bowl in a very long time, either. Should they quit trying to do that, too?
    WTF does that have do with anything I mentioned about lack of success drafting QB's? There's was nothing in any of my posts to even remotely suggest any such thing.