Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix the Chiefs

Default How to fix the Chiefs

The Chiefs are one of more interesting teams in the league, and could be one of the easiest to rebuild. In my opinion, the following owould be the best way:

1. Be very, very active in free agency and fix your lines.

Sign free agents O-linemen Jordan Gross (LT) and Marc Colombo (RT) to long term deals. Both are under 30. Overpay both of them if you have to and you will). Make gross the highest paid o-lineman in the league if you have to (and you'll have to) - just get them signed. This will also allow you to move Albert back to his natural position at RG and shoudl give the Chiefs an above average o-line.

Then sign Julius Pepper, Terrell Suggs, and Albert Haynesworth to long term deals for your d-line. All are under 30. Overpay them if you have to. Keep Dorsey at DT. The Chiefs will have the cap room to do this, even if you ignore step 2.

2. Clear out the dead weight.

Cut Brodie Croyle, Tamba Hali, MacIntosh, Donnie Edwards, all WRs not named Bowe, Pollard, Tank, Turk, Surtain, and every other project player that hasn't worked out. Try to trade those tradable and cut the rest.

3. Fix the QB position

Sign JP Losman to a two-year deal for near the minimum. Draft Stafford out of Georgia with the overall number 1 pick (which KC probably will have). Sit Stafford for a year at least and don't get him killed.

4. Convince Gonzalez and Waters not to retire.

This will be difficult, but a new regime committed to winning might be able to do it.

5. Don't cut or trade LJ

It makes no sense to cut him and eat his cap hit. Try to get 2-3 good years out of him. Behind a revamped line and with a good QB, he may become rejuvinated.

6. Draft well

Everyone needs to stop pretending Herm Edwards has drafted well. He hasn't, and most of his draft picks will be out of the league when their rookie contracts are up.

Even if the free agency plan above goes to plan, the Chiefs are still deficient at most positions. Stafford in the 1st round, and some mixture of WR, OL, LB, and CB over the rest. Do NOT draft any more DTs, RBs, TEs, or Ss.

7. Clean out the coaches and management personnel

Even if they weren't terrible at their jobs (and they are), you need to do this to rebuild faith in the franchise.

Cowher probably won't coach here (quit dreaming, people). Get Lane Kiffin (at least he'll care about Raiders games). Let him rebuild his staff. Throw a dumptruck of money at Scott Pioli to GM here.

What do you think?

How to fix the Chiefs?

Simple.

Blow up the front office completely. Fire them all. Truly start over from scratch.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I don't agree. I think Herm HAS drafted well. I dislike the guy severely, but I'll give him that much credit. The guy would be a top notch scout. Tamba Hali has proved to be over rated, but you have to consider that these young guys aren't out there playing with vets. They're playing with other young guys. Page and Pollard will be solid. So will Flowers. Branden Albert has my confidence. So does Jamal Charles. These guys ARE still learning. They ARE young. Rookies that play well generally have a well founded supporting cast. The Chiefs don't. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I do not understand why everyone here likes Pollard so much as a S. He is an excellent special teams player, and he might to OK as a backup, but he doesn't have the speed to be a proper S in this league. He'll always be a liability in coverage. I guess I'm for keeping him as a backup/special teams guy, but we need a legitimate SS who can defend against the pass.

And despite Pollard's obvious heart and work ethic, you can't teach speed.
    Well, I am no coach, but what I do know is that a strong safety is really not meant to be keeping up with the speeder receivers, that is what you have speedy cornerbacks for. Strong safeties are primarily in coverage against the tight end, or plays that come over the middle of the field. They are also responsible for picking up those running plays that get through the linebackers.

That said, speed is not the main attribute for a strong safety. We need him to be strong and to be able to make the stop against those stronger running backs and tight ends.

Having said that, I have seen him seriously improve over the last couple of years. Up to even last year I would not have given you much for him, but this year he has really turned around and seems to be one of the shining members of this team. He has to stay right now.

In my opinion, right now he is the defensive MVP for this team.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I do not understand why everyone here likes Pollard so much as a S. He is an excellent special teams player, and he might to OK as a backup, but he doesn't have the speed to be a proper S in this league. He'll always be a liability in coverage. I guess I'm for keeping him as a backup/special teams guy, but we need a legitimate SS who can defend against the pass.

And despite Pollard's obvious heart and work ethic, you can't teach speed.

At the safety position I dont think you need spped as much as you need vision. At safety you are alot of times the last line of D before someone scores. You need more vision to take the right angle rather than taking someone head on so you can get the big hit. Angle to tackle saves touchdowns. If a reciever gets far enough for the safety to tackle him he already prob got the 1st down so whats a couple more yards to grab and tackle rather than laying the helmet flying off hit.

Are you sure that you really want to know how I'd fix the chiefs?
    This season I wouldn't fix them since its a given that they are zip anyway. Fix them next season.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorechiefsfan View Post
    Are you sure that you really want to know how I'd fix the chiefs?
    This season I wouldn't fix them since its a given that they are zip anyway. Fix them next season.

There is no way to fix them this year, ive stated that before. The only way to come even close is to change HC and GM now rather then after the year. If we wait till after the year and IF Clark does replace both then all he has to go on is video and not seeing their reactions and attitudes on sideline. That tells a coach alot about a player.Im fine with the players we have since i know we cant just go out and cut people without killing our cap room. Saying that, Clark CAN keep the seats filled by having balls enough to make a change now for the future and give the next 2 guys a headstart on what to do next year. Why did SF make a change in middle of year? Yes i know that the coach had more time than Herm to do what he wanted but lets just look at the inevitible (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Or saying Grbac got us to the playoffs!
    I aint completely compare Grbac to FAvre.I mentioned that they were similiar in a way.
    GRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by Grbac View Post
    I aint completely compare Grbac to FAvre.I mentioned that they were similiar in a way.
    Both have two ears. But only one has anything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Both have two ears. But only one has anything in between.
    yessirr
    SHUT IT

This guy may help our run D. How come we aint picked him up yet?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWt1tGTHdkc"]YouTube - South Carolina vs. LSU Ref Forearm Shiver[/ame]

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast