Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Crowd

Default Chiefs Crowd

I would like to say a few things to everybody on the board:

I didn't know I rubbed that many people the wrong way on this site, that was never my intention. I will admit that I have been too negative with this regime, even though I originally supported the hiring of Reid and Dorsey. In almost every post I talk about Alex Smith and I realize I have been quite critical of the qb, this has also upset some. I just want this team to do well, I really do. It upsets me that I see a talented team held back with what I believe to be a game manager. However, I do understand Smith is our quarterback atleast for the time being and in the future if I continue to post I promise to be more objective and far less critical.

-MMO

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The "Chiefs overpaid for Alex Smith" argument MMH keeps making is just funny to me considering it's coming from a guy who wanted to take Geno Smith #1 overall.

His whole argument is counterintuitive. He says Alex Smith sucks and isn't worth 2 2nd round picks. Well, he's in luck... because if Alex Smith sucks, he'll only be worth a 2nd and a 3rd. If the Chiefs end up spending 2 2nd round picks, it'll be because Alex DIDN'T suck and the 2nd pick will be a late pick in the round anyway. So, according to the draft trade point chart, the 1st pick in the 2nd rd this year was worth 580 points. If the Chiefs go .500 or better, they'll have to pay the 2nd 2nd rd price tag in 2014. If Alex "sucks" and they don't go .500, it'll be a 3rd round pick. According to last year's draft, that puts the pick anywhere from picks 47-80. That point range is 430-190.

So, if Alex Smith "sucks" as has been argued by MMH over and over again in every thread started on this forum, the Chiefs will end up below .500 and the Chiefs will end up spending 580+~230 for a 29 yo former #1 overall pick with 7 years NFL experience and who rated as a top 5 QB over the last 2 seasons. So, ~810 pts roughly...

Conversely, MMH argues that the Chiefs should have spent the #1 overall pick (3000 POINTS) on a player who went in the 2nd round as the 2nd QB taken in his class, can't supplant the statistically worst QB in the NFL over the last 2 seasons, won only 2 games over the final 8 of his senior season (against teams with a combined record of 7-18), has already been injured, played horribly last week with 3 picks and a safety (ran out of the endzone) right after his coach-described "BRUTAL" day of practice where he threw ANOTHER 3 INT's. Also, don't forget THIS happened... and THIS happened as well. The dude is a mental midget.

You tell me what the better value is... A maximum 1010pts for Alex or 3x that number for Geno.

Pointing out the obvious is still like talking to a brick wall.

I wanted to take the best qb in the draft, I didn't care who it was because I know that the only way we will get anywhere is drafting and developing a franchise qb. EJ Manuel has looked better than Alex Smith, and he's a rookie. We could atleast try, acquiring backups for 15 years has gotten us nowhere. It was Geno's first start, so what. Since you want to make the direct comparison what did Alex Smith do in his first SIX years in the NFL besides get benched over and over?

You also didn't put the possibility of our number 1 pick Fisher being a flop in your little equation (he hasn't looked good so far).

Your plan of avoiding risk for 15 years or so has worked out beautifully!
    Last edited by MyManHali; 08-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^BINGO, ctchiefsfan. As I've pointed out many times, the best QB's in Chiefs history have came via trade or FA while their success rate at drafting QB's has been a total dud. That, in itself, should tell Chiefs fans to rethink their obsession with drafting a QB and be willing to give Alex Smith and Chase Daniel a fair chance -- at least for 2 or 3 seasons.
    I may have a little less patience than you. I can live with 7-9 or 6-10 this year. Maybe even 5-11. But by game 8 I want to see the offense showing that they can make us a contender next year. If they do that then I can live with whatever the record is this year. A 7-9 record with us looking no better at the end of the season than we did at the start would make me VERY unhappy. I just want to see a team that is COMMITTED to success. No more giving up if we are down by 14. No more quitting. I WANT CHIEFS ON THE FIELD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I wanted to take the best qb in the draft, I didn't care who it was because I know that the only way we will get anywhere is drafting and developing a franchise qb. EJ Manuel has looked better than Alex Smith, and he's a rookie. We could atleast try, acquiring backups for 15 years has gotten us nowhere. It was Geno's first start, so what. Since you want to make the direct comparison what did Alex Smith do in his first SIX years in the NFL besides get benched over and over?

You also didn't put the possibility of our number 1 pick Fisher being a flop in your little equation (he hasn't looked good so far).

If this were any other draft I think most on here would have been with you on drafting a QB myself included. If Aaron Murray had entered the draft then I would have been all for getting him. But the fact is there just wasn't a QB worth the number 1 pick in this past draft. Will one pan out to being worth a 1st round pick outside of Manuel maybe there's a good chance of it happening it happens alot. But they couldn't risk it at 1 overall with this weak at the top draft class. Most years the guys going at the top this year would have gone later in the draft. We just got stuck with the 1st pick in the wrong year.

As for Manuel looking better my question to you is did he go up against defense like the niners? The Niners d is STACKED some of there backups could start with other teams. You have talked about how good there D is yourself.

And Smith hasn't looked bad at all. The niners CRUSHED the O line in every way. More then just Fisher. The O line was TERRIBLE that game to put it mildly. Smith got drilled on a quick screen right up the middle The offense hasn't put it together yet and that's what preseason is for. They were showing signs of getting together against a pretty good Steelers D so there's some hope.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Also i'm not happy about the trade but i'm giving the guy a chance
    Fair enough. That is EXACTLY what Alex Smith deserves....Once we get to about game 12 we can start arguing if he should stay or go.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    WTF does who the owner, GM, and coach have to do with anything? The owner, GM, Coach has proven to be irrelevant. They all failed when it came to drafting QB's, in spite of many those QB's being decent prospects. Even Stanzi was a decent prospect & look what happened to him. Couldn't even beat Palko out for playing time.

That's my point. The Chiefs haven't done it -- making it irrelevant what other teams have done. ZERO for 17 since 1970 and when your success rate is that bad, you had damn well better be looking at other alternatives.

How much you want to bet that a QB drafted by the current regime will have suffer the same fate of the previous 17 drafted by previous regimes. The only thing that no regime has tried is drafting TWO QB's in the same draft -- which is why I suggested double-dipping at the QB position, if they drafted a QB in 2013 prior to the 2013 draft.

WTF does that have do with anything I mentioned about lack of success drafting QB's? There's was nothing in any of my posts to even remotely suggest any such thing.
    I understand what you're saying but I think the Chiefs Just have to be smarter. The past mistakes were made by a different groupA couple of different groups. And they haven't worked. But that doesn't mean they can't draft a QB. If there was a Luck or RGIII this draft I think no question that's the choice they would have gone with. The mistakes of the past need to be learned from. But if the Chiefs see a guy in the draft that they feel can be the QBOTF then they have to make that choice if they have him at the top of the board. I don't think the mistakes of the past have anything to do with the drafts that are yet to come. The Chiefs just got to be smarter and find a QB that can take them far no matter where it comes from. Maybe they have that guy with Smith maybe not. But if Smith struggles this year and there's a QB in the draft they feel can do the job and whos value is fitting of where they are picking they have to take that QB. They can't be scared off by mistakes others have made
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post

A "direct comparison" is comparing what the players have done recently and what they CURRENTLY are doing... a side by side comparison of the players the Chiefs would be putting on the field... not projected potential against a player's first 5 year history while ommitting the most recent 2 seasons. At the NFL level, Alex Smith has been great the last 2 seasons. Geno beat 2 teams over his last 9 starts. One of those teams only won 1 game the whole season. His most recent start at the NFL level was a complete disaster against a team coming off a 4 win season and which ranked dead last in turnover ratio.

Your Fisher analysis is much like your Geno analysis... horribly weak, based on a small sample size, and full of holes.

GO AWAY TROLL

The Steelers had the #1 ranked overall defense last season. The 49ers had the #3 ranked defense... and you're stunned that this team struggled DURING THE PRESEASON to move the ball with the effeciency of an elite unit that has played multiple seasons together.

The Chiefs were leading or tied at the half of both games, btw. So obviously... this will be a lost season. What a joke

A "direct comparison" is comparing what the players have done recently and what they CURRENTLY are doing... a side by side comparison of the players the Chiefs would be putting on the field... not projected potential against a player's first 5 year history while ommitting the most recent 2 seasons. At the NFL level, Alex Smith has been great the last 2 seasons. Geno beat 2 teams over his last 9 starts. One of those teams only won 1 game the whole season. His most recent start at the NFL level was a complete disaster against a team coming off a 4 win season and which ranked dead last in turnover ratio.

Your Fisher analysis is much like your Geno analysis... horribly weak, based on a small sample size, and full of holes.

GO AWAY TROLL
    i was looking at the wrong team. The Giants actually had the 31st ranked Defense last season... my bad

GO AWAY TROLL
    I have to sorta disagree with you here a bit.

Geno is a rookie. Smith is not. Smith has had time to adapt to the NFL. Geno has not. Geno's playing in a bad offense with a head coach that looks defeated like he knows already he's in his last year. Like I told MyMan with Smith you have to take the situation into account and not be as hard on him for his struggles in the preseason. That and the fact that he's a rookie and many a rookie has looked bad in there first preseason and went on to have great careers and a guy like Ryan Leaf looked good his first preseason and we all know how that turned out. Like I said to Myman about Fisher judging a rookie in his first preseason is Silly. And it's not exactly fair to compare a rookie to a vet IMO. At least not the first few games. The thing with Rookies is they will make rookie mistakes they will have rookie moments it happens to just about every rookie. Where you begin to judge is at the end of the year is he repeating those mistakes or did he learn from them. Geno could turn out to be a good QB in the NFL looking at his preseason in year 1 is a bit unfair. Judging Geno in his rookie preseason is no better then judging Fisher by myman
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

But the Chiefs don't have a Mark Sanchez to fall back on. The Chiefs were in the market for a STARTING QB. They were going to spend their resources on the player that was going to give them the best chance to win... not a guy they could bring along at a slow pace. The Chiefs had to compare apples to apples when figuring out who they were going to put on the field to lead their offense this season and next. It was either going to be a 7 year NFL vet who's been a top 5 QB the past 2 years for a couple draft picks or a rookie who had only won 2 games against weak opponents over his last 8 for a much higher price tag.

This was a no-brain decision. Will Geno get better? Probably. I didn't think he'd be a very good NFL QB from the start, but I didn't think he'd be THAT bad. But it's pretty telling when you're not even competing to take the NFL's worst QB's job. If he can't compete as a 2nd round pick, can you imagine how disasterous things would be if he were performing this way with "#1 overall pick" attached to his name? If you're already thinking Fisher is a bust after his performance against the 49ers, what in the world would you be thinking about Geno after last weekend?
    Last edited by texaschief; 08-28-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast