Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joplin, MO. May 22, 2011

Default Joplin, MO. May 22, 2011

Requesting Prayer and good thoughts for all of those affected by the numerous tornadoes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds"]http://www.youtu.be/cQnvxJZucds[/ame]

The landscape has definitely been permanently altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    The landscape has definitely been permanently altered.
    we got a scare here this morning. in KC the sirens went off and also here in my town.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    we got a scare here this morning. in KC the sirens went off and also here in my town.
    Yeah I saw that when I was monitoring the weather; I'm glad you, Connie and everyone else in KC are alright.

Those are just increadable photos we just had a news caster her ask the weatherman why there were so many deaths well if you look at the photos you can see unless you had a storm celler in an EF5 you are gone.

the Westboro Baptist Church is going to pay its respects

(Joplin, MO) -- The controversial Westboro Baptist Church is planning to protest President Obama's visit to Joplin, Missouri Sunday.

On its website, the church writes, "Thank God for 125 dead in Joplin."

Church members claim Missouri Governor Jay Nixon has attacked them by promoting laws banning them from protesting at soldiers' funerals.

President Obama is planning to visit the tornado-raved city this Sunday. A memorial is also planned that day for the 125 people who lost their lives in the tornado.

Nixon said Wednesday that the community "must come together and seek a higher power's assistance."

He said it was appropriate the community gather as one on Memorial Day weekend to remember those who have died in the tornado.

The Westboro Baptist Church believes tragedies like the tornado are God's punishment on Americans for accepting homosexuality.
    http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=461407
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Actually, many did survive in those areas completely flattened, no doubt by a miracle. Many lives lost were by those in vehicles who didn't take cover, and also in commercial buildings such as Home Depot which are dang near as deadly as a mobile or manufactured home. :(

Underground tornado shelters as seen in the classic movie 'Wizard of Oz' remain the most safe shelter from massive tornadoes. They really aren't that costly to build by comparison of what many people spend on home improvements & maintenance annually. In newer developments however, they're often not allowed, against home association bylaws considered 'obtrusive asthetically'. Personally, I feel in the heart of tornado alley they should be mandatory, adopted as city building code. I also feel 'hurricane/wind braces' should be required on all new home construction. They average in cost a buck or two, nailed properly to roof rafters can triple the strength of a roof related to wind sheer. They are required by code in some cities hurricane prone, but to my last knowledge weren't in any tornado prone cities. :(

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I keep having thoughts related. Buildings with massive glass entrances and large architectural windows such as in the church shown above, are also more likely to be destroyed. The more glass, the less solid structural framing, which weakens a structure against wind sheer. Glass has very little strength against wind. So many commercial buildings have huge glass entrances, glass partition walls and many massive windows. Consider Walmart and Home Depot being destroyed in Joplin, the hospital as well. The glass also becomes deadly, pieces of glass become airborne at the speed of bullets, with that much glass flying around it's as if machine guns are being shot directly at people.

Also, many commerical structures have metal roofs of which are simply riveted, which isn't as strong as a traditional timber framed/sheathed roof, especially one reinforced with hurricane/wind bracing.

If you look at photo's of the F5 that hit Topeka June 8th, 1966...you will note that many of the older homes suffered much less damage than newer constructed homes. I'd have to refresh my architectural/engineering memory, but I think it was the late 40's and 50's that builders began taking shortcuts with building homes. Each decade since homes have become less strong, they're are no longer built to last like homes of yesteryear. Building codes today consider average snow loads, but not so much with wind sheer related to rafters/sheathing. There are also nailing patterns for increased strength, but many builders today aren't even familiar with nailing patterns of yesteryear. The craftsman were much more knowledgeable and thorough years ago. Also, the steeper the roof pitch the more likely it will be torn off, especially if not reinforced, which most aren't for direct hit tornado winds or nearby sheer. Houses these days are more often than not, built as poorly as vehicles are, not intended to last. 50 yrs from now most newer constructed average price range homes won't be standing strong, for one reason or another, but all due to poor construction by that compared to decades ago. :(

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    the Westboro Baptist Church is going to pay its respects

Westboro Baptist Church Plans Protest for Joplin MO - OzarksFirst.com
    I read this on Facebook a few days ago. The good news is the Patriot Guard is making an exception, and will be in Joplin to assist, even though the service isn't related to military death. I refuse to acknowledge them as a "Church"...they are a sick evil twisted inbred "cult". Their protesting based upon morals and/or Christianity is no more than a false cover to justify their hate and evil for profit. The WBCult has literally become wealthy beyond imaginable due to their profitting from their protests over the years. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Actually, many did survive in those areas completely flattened, no doubt by a miracle. Many lives lost were by those in vehicles who didn't take cover, and also in commercial buildings such as Home Depot which are dang near as deadly as a mobile or manufactured home. :(

Underground tornado shelters as seen in the classic movie 'Wizard of Oz' remain the most safe shelter from massive tornadoes. They really aren't that costly to build by comparison of what many people spend on home improvements & maintenance annually. In newer developments however, they're often not allowed, against home association bylaws considered 'obtrusive asthetically'. Personally, I feel in the heart of tornado alley they should be mandatory, adopted as city building code. I also feel 'hurricane/wind braces' should be required on all new home construction. They average in cost a buck or two, nailed properly to roof rafters can triple the strength of a roof related to wind sheer. They are required by code in some cities hurricane prone, but to my last knowledge weren't in any tornado prone cities. :(
    thye're called slab homes. a slab foundation. no basements. how they get away with it is beyond me. it should be a state law every home should have at least a 1/2 basement for shelter. its the flying debris that kills you

above ground storm shelters are available. but im not sure what they cost

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CikoTFMeak"]YouTube - ‪Built Safe... Tested Safe... Missouri Storm Shelters‬‏[/ame]

after Hurricane Katrina the sell concrete reinforced homes went thru the roof.

kcvet...it just depends as to the cost of an underground shelter. Decades ago people built them themselves, especially those living in rural areas where there was no community or neighborhood shelters. If you can build one yourself you can do it very reasonable. The pre-formed concrete ones you buy can get costly...you typically have to hire someone to excavate using proper equipment, etc.. A friend of mine bought a pre-fab concrete one, and when it was all said & done told me it cost him about $13,000.00, which seems pricey to me, but I'm not sure of the specifics, haven't seen his shelter.

Many neighborhoods will have a community shelter when the majority of homes have no basements, such as mobile home parks. Many city codes do require such of mobile home parks, but not all. HUD lenders also require a home without a basement in a tornado risk area have a concrete safe room. One of the biggest problems though is many ignore the warnings, not wanting to be inconvenienced. We've become complacent in tornado alley since sirens sound often and nothing happens.

Advanced early warning detection is a double edged sword. NOAA scientists can detect a region is at high risk for a tornado hours before a storm even develops, will issue a watch for that region, which the majority of people ignore watches all together. In other words, don't let a watch affect plans, including outdoor plans such as shopping, BBQ's, picnics, boating, golfing, etc.. NOAA most always issues warnings once a cell begins to rotate, several minutes before the vortex actually becomes a tornado. Well, more often than not that tornado never completely forms and drops, so people have grown complacent to siren warnings.

Also, I've heard stories from many people who say they will go outside to look, if they don't see a tornado think it's not going to happen, or isn't coming their way, don't bother taking cover. Too many have misconceptions about tornadoes, or no knowledge at all of facts that can save their lives. Such as, many vortexes are invisible to the eye, they become visible as funnel clouds when they pull in surrounding humidity forming clouds, or touchdown picking up soil and debris. I could go on, but likely have rambled too much on this subject as it is.

I witnessed, experienced, and survived an historic F5 hit Topeka, KS as a kid. To this day my memories are vivid, including hearing the roar, seeing the debris rotating in the sky, etc.. From that day forward my fascination with tornadoes began, and as an adult have spent literally hours educating myself as much as possible related to tornadoes. I've photographed them in the open country where I use to live, also spotted for that county. They can be quite mesmerizing to witness, but when they became deadly & destructive are horrible monsters, nothing mesmerizing about them at all. :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12