Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gunther Bashes Chiefs

Default Gunther Bashes Chiefs

I don't care for the guy, but he does make some valid points. Not a fan of all the whining though.

Cunningham's Chiefs had lot in common with Lions | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

MOBILE, Ala. — New Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham comes from Kansas City, a team that was a lot like the Lions last season.

The Chiefs ran the Tampa Two defense, were coached by a Tony Dungy disciple and struggled badly, with one of the worst defenses in the NFL and a 2-14 record.

But Cunningham isn’t a Tampa Two guy, and the Chiefs’ defense lacked experience.

“I’ve gone through three years of playing zone defense because I was loyal to Herm Edwards,” Cunningham said today in a conference call. “That’s what he wanted. People here in town knew that I was different than that. My idea is to put a lot of pressure on the quarterback — always has been, always will be.”

Cunningham said new Lions coach Jim Schwartz knows that, though Schwartz ran more zone than usual this season as Tennessee’s defensive coordinator.

Cunningham was Schwartz’s linebackers coach for three years with the Titans, and they became close.

Asked if he were entering a situation in Detroit that is similar to Kansas City, Cunningham said teams need experience by keeping good veterans and finding others in free agency.

“The emotions get involved, ‘Oh, we’ll play with all these young players,’ ” Cunningham said. “But what you don’t understand is, they have to be led by guys like Jared Allen.”

The Chiefs traded Allen, one of the best defensive players in the league, to Minnesota before this season.

“If you have a lot of young players that you’re going to draft, you have to make sure you work the whole process,” Cunningham said. “I believe the mistake we made here is that they tried to add some UFA players like Demorrio Williams. Well, he doesn’t have enough experience and enough ability to lead a bunch of rookies. …

“I can at least share what happened here and the pitfalls we ran into and see what the process brings.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Wrong! who wants a quitter when the going gets tough.
    Wrong!!! You're not quitting if you're not doing your job anyway!!!
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Wrong!!! You're not quitting if you're not doing your job anyway!!!
    OK, look at Bobby Patrino for leaving the Falcons. And how bout Nick Saban?

Yep, they are quite respected in the NFL for abandoning theyre team. Geez Gunn why didnt you give up and follow in their footsteps?!

Yep, they are quite respected in the NFL for abandoning theyre team. Geez Gunn why didnt you give up and follow in their footsteps?!
    OK. read my original post on this thread and maybe you can understand why I feel the way I do about Gun. But that was not intended to take anything away from Herm. Losing 23 out of 25 games = bad HC.
    Peterson is the real reason our team had 6 wins in the past 2 years. After all, it was CP who brought Herm here and wouldn't start the rebuilding process at that time instead of waiting 2 years...
    That being said, I don't think much of anybody - in this case - Gun, that sits idely by and watches our D sink to the bottom of the league. Its all about character and doing whats right. But thats JMO. And everybody else has a right to theirs!
    If we all had the same opinions, this would be a real boring place to be!!
    SHUT IT

Also Saban and Patrino were head coaches. Different situation that Gunny was in...
    SHUT IT

OK. read my original post on this thread and maybe you can understand why I feel the way I do about Gun. But that was not intended to take anything away from Herm. Losing 23 out of 25 games = bad HC.
    Peterson is the real reason our team had 6 wins in the past 2 years. After all, it was CP who brought Herm here and wouldn't start the rebuilding process at that time instead of waiting 2 years...
    That being said, I don't think much of anybody - in this case - Gun, that sits idely by and watches our D sink to the bottom of the league. Its all about character and doing whats right. But thats JMO. And everybody else has a right to theirs!
    If we all had the same opinions, this would be a real boring place to be!!
    no debate there

I personally am happy that Gunther spouted off about Herm, it really does say a lot about how this team was being run with Herm at the head and I am even more against Herm now. If a leader does not listen to his people, then he is not a good leader. I have every reason to believe that in a team environment, Gunther would have told Herm what the problem was. If he did not, then I have to believe it was because Herm created an environment where discension was not allowed.

I think Gunther was just relaying the very thing many of us on the ChiefsCrowd could see all along. If Herm could not see it then he is even a worse coach that I thought he was.

The good news is that it looks like Herm's days are numbered.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Not hardly. What NFL franchise would respect Gun for abandoning a sinking ship because the HC wouldn't let him do his job. He would had found work sooner than later. However, he sure looks like a whining baby now!
    HUH???
    No he doesn't. He knew that Hermie would throw him under the bus and left before he had the chance and sure enough, he was hired in NO TIME.

We can debate it all day long but the only way to see what the Gunner has in the tank is to watch the Lions D next season and watch Herm's defense (if he is here, or anywhere else). Then a comparison can be made as long as Herm stick to his cover 2. That would be the only way to prove that Gun sux and Herm rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I personally am happy that Gunther spouted off about Herm, it really does say a lot about how this team was being run with Herm at the head and I am even more against Herm now. If a leader does not listen to his people, then he is not a good leader. I have every reason to believe that in a team environment, Gunther would have told Herm what the problem was. If he did not, then I have to believe it was because Herm created an environment where discension was not allowed.

I think Gunther was just relaying the very thing many of us on the ChiefsCrowd could see all along. If Herm could not see it then he is even a worse coach that I thought he was.

The good news is that it looks like Herm's days are numbered.
    ROGER THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    No he doesn't. He knew that Hermie would throw him under the bus and left before he had the chance and sure enough, he was hired in NO TIME.

We can debate it all day long but the only way to see what the Gunner has in the tank is to watch the Lions D next season and watch Herm's defense (if he is here, or anywhere else). Then a comparison can be made as long as Herm stick to his cover 2. That would be the only way to prove that Gun sux and Herm rules.
    I think they are both terrible coaches and glad to be rid of both of them....
    SHUT IT

I'll miss Gun, but it was time for him to move on. I hope he does will in Detroit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast