Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Game 6 thoughts

Default Game 6 thoughts

The good

THE DEFENSE Don't need to go into detail we all know what they did.

THE FREAKING LOUDEST CROWD EVER. They made an impact in the game it was clear as day. Great to see that at arrowhead again

THE BAD
    The offense from top to bottom had a bad game. Alex Smith clearly let the offensive line struggles get in his head and as a QB you can't do that. The WRs most the game weren't getting open and the O line stunk most the game.

The defense the one thing that is bad there is they continue to have trouble with Qbs that can run. They have to improve on that but that's about the only thing you can say they have to work on
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Really only the people who haven't wanted to see it have missed it for the most part.

There is so much of the bad about the offense that is being talked about by us all but it hasn't been as bad as many think. Alex hasn't been as bad. A simple check of his game logs shows that. What hasn't been taken in account is what Alex has done with his legs when it all breaks down. Take that into account and he has been over 300 yards in offense twice. It hasn't been as bad as what some think
    Totally. Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    And that is my point Roy. When you look at the two I assert that either Cassel is not as bad as many thinks he was, or Smith is not as good as many thinks he is.

Smith had a good year last year, at least until he got injured, Cassel has had a number of good seasons in the past. You cannot compare them today as Cassel is no longer a starter and Smith is. So comparing them today is not a good comparison. As I also said in my last post, if Cassel continues to play as starter while Ponder is out, then you will have your comparison.

As it stands right now, you really cannot compare this year. You can compare last year but that is a small sample set for both players as they both had a shortened year because of injury, so is that really fair either?

I maintain that both players have had similar careers even though Smith was more a starter earlier on and Cassel was not.

There are a lot of other intangibles that others would bring to the discussion, coaching, players around them, and so on. All of that is true, but in the end that is the way it is in team sports.

IN the end, I still maintain that the fanbase gave Cassel a bum rap, we treated the man like crap when in my opinion, he was as good as Smith is today. We might have ruined him with all the coaching nonsense (Edwards, Haley and the Walrus). I am hoping that Reid can make Smith the player that San Francisco hoped he was when they drafted him.
    If you cannot see that Smith is better than Cassel you are severely blind, there's more to it then just skill, Smith is a LEADER he brings spirits up in that locker room! When have you ever heard anything about Cassel being a team leader? Not only does our offense respect and speak well of Smith so does our defense and it makes them go out there and play the way they are playing because they are confident that they can rest and win games with Smith. After 3 seasons if your a QB and you cannot emerge as a team leader than there's the door...goodbye Matt Cassel, hello Alex Smith
    I CHALLENGE ANY OF YOU TO TELL ME IM WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    If you cannot see that Smith is better than Cassel you are severely blind, there's more to it then just skill, Smith is a LEADER he brings spirits up in that locker room! When have you ever heard anything about Cassel being a team leader? Not only does our offense respect and speak well of Smith so does our defense and it makes them go out there and play the way they are playing because they are confident that they can rest and win games with Smith. After 3 seasons if your a QB and you cannot emerge as a team leader than there's the door...goodbye Matt Cassel, hello Alex Smith
    I CHALLENGE ANY OF YOU TO TELL ME IM WRONG
    CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.........BUT...............You are NOT wrong. Even though Alex had an off-day throwing the ball last Sunday, he did not turn it over to Oakland in his own territory at any time & I highly doubt that would have been the case with Cassel. Alex never gave the Raiders the chance to have starting field position in Chiefs territory. Opponents this year are having to earn everything that they get by going the length of the field.

Through 6 weeks of this season, we have MATCHED the win total from the last 2 seasons combined... and we're STILL complaining.

I thought I was pretty aware of the QB situation the last couple seasons and the options that were available this last spring. Did I miss something? Were there glaringly better options for the Chiefs to upgrade their QB position that I just missed? Did the Geno horse come back to life? I thought we beat that corpse into glue.

WHAT IN THE GOOD GOD COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE COMPLAINING ABOUT AT 6-0? Alex Smith has a better QBR and thrown for fewer picks than Tom Brady and Joe Flacco among others. He's beating Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in yards per game. He's thrown for more TDs than Big Ben, RGIII, Tannehill, and Vick. The only thing the guy doesn't do is lose and throw down field. He's just behind Tom Brady at 6.17 to Tom's 6.19 ypc. Matt Cassel has played 1 game all season and has 1 few INT than Alex Smith through 6 games. Not to mention, Cassel was handed the Viking job on a silver platter and is being replaced this week by a guy who's only been in town for 15 minutes.

REALITY CHECK, AISLE 6-0.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Through 6 weeks of this season, we have MATCHED the win total from the last 2 seasons combined... and we're STILL complaining.

I thought I was pretty aware of the QB situation the last couple seasons and the options that were available this last spring. Did I miss something? Were there glaringly better options for the Chiefs to upgrade their QB position that I just missed? Did the Geno horse come back to life? I thought we beat that corpse into glue.

WHAT IN THE GOOD GOD COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE COMPLAINING ABOUT AT 6-0? Alex Smith has a better QBR and thrown for fewer picks than Tom Brady and Joe Flacco among others. He's beating Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in yards per game. He's thrown for more TDs than Big Ben, RGIII, Tannehill, and Vick. The only thing the guy doesn't do is lose and throw down field. He's just behind Tom Brady at 6.17 to Tom's 6.19 ypc. Matt Cassel has played 1 game all season and has 1 few INT than Alex Smith through 6 games. Not to mention, Cassel was handed the Viking job on a silver platter and is being replaced this week by a guy who's only been in town for 15 minutes.

I'm definately Not complaining, I'm ecstatic! I'm thinking we have a real fair run at a championship THIS YEAR!!! We probably would look better next year yes, but I think we are a WR/TE and better O-Line play away from going all the way this year. We have the talent on the line we just need them to step up. WR/TE are becoming more and more available, next week I say we will pick up one or the other. Praying for Tony G.

Well said, sir.

One of the big knocks on Alex Smith has been that he can't throw the long ball. I recently read that he was something like 28th, 29th or 30th in terms of how many times he has thrown the ball 20 or more yards downfield. But it appears to me that he can throw the long ball perfectly well, but simply doesn't do it unless he is highly confident that he will complete the pass. He likes to throw high percentage passes. In short he would rather throw for a 3 yard gain than throw a 25 yard pass that he thinks has a high possibility of being an incompletion. A lot of people don't like that, but I think it is a good thing in most cases. It leads to fewer interceptions.

Something I remember from "back in the day" is that at one time Len Dawson held the record for most consecutive completions with something like 16. I remember watching a game where the announcer dissed him because those completions were all short passes...7 yards or less.....makes me wonder if there are not some similarities between Dawson and Smith.

All in all I think it is ridiculous to even suggest that Smith and Cassel are anywhere near in the same league. Cassel is not fit to wash Smith's jockstrap. As to our Smith vs the other Smith.....Geno may one day turn out to be a fine QB. But does anyone (except that guy who has been banned) really think that we would be 6-0 if we had the other Smith????? I sure don't.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief
    I thought I was pretty aware of the QB situation the last couple seasons and the options that were available this last spring. Did I miss something? Were there glaringly better options for the Chiefs to upgrade their QB position that I just missed?
    And that is a very important point. When we talk about who we would like to have at QB we must deal with what was available on the open market. IMO Alex Smith was the very best QB that was actually available.

I think there's a difference between complaining and being critical when it's due. Pretty much everyone here is doing the latter and having giving their views. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone just saying that it's all good leads to a dead board.

I'm VERY happy to be 6-0. I'm not at all saying Alex is horrible. He had a horrible game sunday. And he has to play better then that if this team is to win a lot of games. That's all

If you think it's bad here I beg you not to go on other boards. Some people on other boards I'm on when talking about the Chiefs make my man seem like the biggest hommer you would ever meet. It's that bad some places. Just this morning I saw someone ranting how this team hasn't been down 17 points yet for Alex to bring them back. It's that bad. That's why I like it here you get a good mix of views that aren't just people looking for everything to be one way or the other. Discussion is a good thing as long as it doesn't turn personal and is respectful. So far that's what this is.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    IMO Alex Smith was the very best QB that was actually available.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    It's sad but I know for a fact that some think Tebow would have been better then Alex SMH
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast