Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: jaguars looking into geno smith

Default jaguars looking into geno smith

Jaguars send group to West Virginia Pro Day

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
    Getty ImagesThe Jaguars have the No. 2 pick in April’s draft. And they would seem to be giving the impression of doing every bit of due diligence on West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, who’s regarded as the top passing prospect available.
    The Jaguars said Wednesday that general manager David Caldwell, head coach Gus Bradley, offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, senior vice president Tony Khan and player personnel director Terry McDonough will be attending West Virginia’s pro day on Thursday in Morgantown. Per the West Virginia athletics website, every NFL team is expected to have a presence at the pro day.
    The Jaguars are somewhat unsettled at quarterback. Blaine Gabbert has had a challenging first two NFL seasons, and the general manager who drafted him (Gene Smith) is gone. Moreover, Bradley will be Gabbert’s fourth head coach in his short pro career. Likewise, veteran Chad Henne is also a holdover from an old regime. In February, Caldwell told NFL.com that there would be “a wide-open competition” at quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Of course they have cheap deals, they are not top tier impact players. If we're going to build through the draft then why did we give up a second rounder for Alex Cassel?
    That's the going rate for a QB via trade. You act like the QB market was loaded with Matt Ryans, Andrew Lucks, Mannings, and great rookie prospects. Everything you hate about Alex Smith, you love about Geno Smith. It really is comical to read your hypocrisies.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    That's the going rate for a QB via trade. You act like the QB market was loaded with Matt Ryans, Andrew Lucks, Mannings, and great rookie prospects. Everything you hate about Alex Smith, you love about Geno Smith. It really is comical to read your hypocrisies.

No one is ever a lock to be great. I remember many people trashing Atlanta for taking a huge risk on a qb, how did that workout? Geno has tremendous upside, he is a player you can develop. We even went for the sure thing in 2009, we acquired a "proven" player and he ended up screwing our franchise.

You don't understand why I am upset, I am not upset at Smith coming here. I am upset at what we traded for him and how he is now looked upon as the long term qb solution. Honestly, I believe one of the best things we could of done this offseason was to trade for Smith (not a second round pick) and take Geno at number 1. But now, we have shot ourselves in the foot with committing to a conservative game manager (Cassel 2.0)

This is a qb who didn't win until he had the number 1 defense and rushing game. Matt Cassel has even had more winning seasons than Smith, and he did it in half the time.

No one is ever a lock to be great. I remember many people trashing Atlanta for taking a huge risk on a qb, how did that workout? Geno has tremendous upside, he is a player you can develop. We even went for the sure thing in 2009, we acquired a "proven" player and he ended up screwing our franchise.

You don't understand why I am upset, I am not upset at Smith coming here. I am upset at what we traded for him and how he is now looked upon as the long term qb solution. Honestly, I believe one of the best things we could of done this offseason was to trade for Smith (not a second round pick) and take Geno at number 1. But now, we have shot ourselves in the foot with committing to a conservative game manager (Cassel 2.0)

This is a qb who didn't win until he had the number 1 defense and rushing game. Matt Cassel has even had more winning seasons than Smith, and he did it in half the time.

Matt Ryan is loaded with weapons and this was his first win and second time as a one seed. You do realize Alex smith is a former one overall pick don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Matt Ryan is loaded with weapons and this was his first win and second time as a one seed. You do realize Alex smith is a former one overall pick don't you.

His name isn't Geno so he sucks after all the difference from being "noodle arm" or "Cassel 2.0" is .1 yards LOL
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Honestly, I believe one of the best things we could of done this offseason was to trade for Smith (not a second round pick) and take Geno at number 1.
    Wow. First of all - there are no QB's out there. None in F/A, none in the draft. Smith was available and we got him. I'm am not saying that Smith is the answer, but he was there and we needed a QB. Done. BTW, he played pretty well the times I have seen him. The Giants/49'ers NFC Championship game was a game for the ages - and it was Smith who QB'd that team to get to that game. He will be are starting QB - so definetely worth a 2nd round pick.
    2nd - Geno shouldn't even be considered a first round pick by any team. Certainly not the first pick of the first round. 3rd round talent at best. He played well against high school caliber defenses - not so well against the tougher college defenses.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post

The Falcons organization was crumbling, they drafted him and he helped turn that organization around. When Matt Ryan was the aP offensive rookie of the year and going to pro bowls Alex Smith was getting boo'd out of the stadium.

Face it, Alex Smith only wins games when he has the 1 number d/rushing game to help him. That is your quarterback.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-14-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    [/B]

His name isn't Geno so he sucks after all the difference from being "noodle arm" or "Cassel 2.0" is .1 yards LOL

Have fun with your 8-8 years, mediocrity is what this board strives for. It has been apparent for years that the Chiefs as well as their fanbase are scared to death to roll the dice. We supposedly had the "sure thing" in 09 didn't we? And that ruined us for 4 years.

Hali #$@/#/' off!! I knew you weren't a kc fan!!! "Your 8-8 years" "their fan base"?? Just @$$/$ ff

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Wow. First of all - there are no QB's out there. None in F/A, none in the draft. Smith was available and we got him. I'm am not saying that Smith is the answer, but he was there and we needed a QB. Done. BTW, he played pretty well the times I have seen him. The Giants/49'ers NFC Championship game was a game for the ages - and it was Smith who QB'd that team to get to that game. He will be are starting QB - so definetely worth a 2nd round pick.
    2nd - Geno shouldn't even be considered a first round pick by any team. Certainly not the first pick of the first round. 3rd round talent at best. He played well against high school caliber defenses - not so well against the tougher college defenses.

He had a very impressive pro day today. But why take the risk when we can go 8-8 with Alex Cassel?

How many times do I have to tell people that every QB the Chiefs have drafted since the realignment of the AFL-NFL in 1970 has been a BUST <---- what part of that don't people get? That means ZERO success rate. Like it or not, the fact remains that this team seems cursed when it comes to drafting QB's. None of the guys that they have drafted in 43 years could beat out a scatter-armed pitcher in the Cotton States League, let alone play in the NFL.

Do not bother with the "well, we passed on Marino, Montana, Kelly, etc." type of BS, either, because it's totally irrelevant. There are no guarantees whatsoever that they would have had the same success in KC, if the Chiefs had drafted them, that they had elsewhere.

Regarding Alex Smith, personally, I don't give a damn what happened in SF, it's what happens with him now in a Chiefs uniform that really counts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast