View Poll Results: Which QB would you want?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Geno Smith

24 53.33%
  • Matt Barkley

9 20.00%
  • Mike Glennon

0 0%
  • Tyler Wilson

0 0%
  • Other (Specify)

12 26.67%
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith vs Matt Barkley

Default Geno Smith vs Matt Barkley

At this point, which QB would you rather have KC draft in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I agree with you about the O-line although we do still need depth. This can be addressed through FA or late round project picks.

My bigger question is what do you think about the D-Line? Let's assume that Dorsey is gone and Jackson restructures. That'd leave us with (Bailey, Powe) for RDE, Poe at NT and Jackson at LDE. Do we still need more top tier (read 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks) for the D-line? We started to get to Peyton but that's simply because as you or someone else said earlier our secondary put a blanket over Denver's WR's.

Poe will be in his 2nd year so I'm good with keeping him. Put Powe as his back up. Jackson has been good with the rush and can take up a double team but even with our LB's don't seem to get to the QB enough. Bailey seems to be the same even though this is his second year. Do we let these guys have time to grow together? Are we at depth filling time too(4th - 7th rounders or FA)?

To me we need another guard in the 3rd or 4th. Someone that can step in if/when our guys go down. This patchwork we have going on now (getting an UFA from Iowa State off waver wires?!?) isn't going to work long term. Same goes with our D-line unless Shaun Smith stays I think we need more depth.

Teo has been tearing it up. I'd LOVE to see Belcher finally replaced and then we'd be pretty much set in our LB'er core for years to come. Pick up a QB or trade our two 3rds to get back into the first to get our new QB. So here's my thoughts...IF no QB really asserts himself as a top tier guy that should go first.

1st - Teo
    2nd/trade back into 1st - Wilson
    3rd/4th (Hopefully we have one third left) - best guard available.
    5th - best WR available
    6th - best WR available
    7th - best fullback available

A QB does assert himself as top tier guy:
    1st - best QB
    2nd - best WR
    3rd - best WR available
    3rd- best CB available
    4th - best guard available
    5th - best safety available
    6th - best fullback available (yes in the 6th!)
    7th - best guard available

Thoughts?
    I dont object to either of these except I would prefer to see the guard you mention to be a G/C. Also, I dont think we need two WR, I would rather see the best of WR/CB/ILB instead. Good C/G prospects can easily be had in the 3rd, 4th and even 5th rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I feel like the offensive line apologist for this site, but this O-line is tops in the league. ProFootballFocus has the Chiefs having the 4th best line: Offensive Line Rankings: Week 10 Update | ProFootballFocus.com

I consistently watch (and re-watch on NFL Game Rewind) and see the line blocking well. It takes a beating by the casual observer when our QBs (Cassel especially) are back there, the first read is covered, and they have no idea what to do.

This is also worth a re-post (also from ProFootballFocus)...

Cassel takes the 7th longest among all QBs to get rid of the ball (on average 2.83 seconds). However, he has the 5th best number in the amount of time it takes before he is sacked (3.78 seconds). This says a lot about how well the line is doing, despite the poor QB play.

Simply put, when you have a QB who can't go through his progressions, it's a recipe for disaster when his first read is covered.

I thought that this line would get destroyed by Von Miller with backup LT Donald Stephenson plugged in. Miller ended up with 1 sack and no other QB hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Yep. Qb is definetly our biggest hole. But our lines aren't far behind. Both lines. I said this 4 years ago. BUILD THE LINES FIRST! Whatever qb we decide on, he needs some protection.
    That said, I say trade out of our first pick grab McClarren, Wilson, or Bray - whoever - later in the 1st round, and use our extra picks to build these lines. For this to happen, we'll have to bring in a GM/Coach with the savvy to get this done!

We are 1-10. Both of these lines SUCK.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I dont object to either of these except I would prefer to see the guard you mention to be a G/C. Also, I dont think we need two WR, I would rather see the best of WR/CB/ILB instead. Good C/G prospects can easily be had in the 3rd, 4th and even 5th rounds.
    A G/C combo would definitely be preferred. I just kind of figured by default that's the type of guy we'd get.

But I do disagree about the need for two WR's. I'd say the odds are higher then not that Bowe leaves after this year. That leaves us with a 3rd year WR that hasn't shown a lot (for a variety of reasons). Breaston...well who the heck knows what is going on with Breaston. After that we have unproven commodities. We've GOT to try to find a #1 WR and to me that takes two picks. Heck maybe we get lucky and get a #1 AND #2 out of it and make Baldwin try to step up. Past Bowe there's not a whole lot of depth though.

Neither Barkley of Smith will make it as a NFL qb. Ala Leinert/Young. Watch - you'll see.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I think you bring back Shaun Smith. He can pretty much play anywhere. I don't think you use another early pick on a 3-4 DE though. Next year is the time when guys like Bailey and Powe will have to step up. They've had 2 years to groom now. You take these guys in the mid rounds for a reason, and that's to groom them to take over someday (but obviously not right away).

I would like to see some sort 3rd down situational pass rusher at the DE position though. We get none of that with what we have.
    I'd be down with that. Someone to replace Jackson on 3rd downs. Heck that might even help Jackson out by giving him more breathers.

I know that in a 3-4 the D-line's job is to take up blocks but when our LB'er rushs it looks like we've got a bad 4-3 line. The question I have is just how import are sacks to a team? You'd think that they're very important and would indicate how often you get pressure on the QB. I thought so too until I went back and found this.

Year Record Sack position Coach
    2002 8-8 11th Vermeil
    2003 13-3 19th Vermeil
    2004 7-9 32nd Vermeil
    2005 10-6 29th Vermeil
    2006 9-7 26th Edwards
    2007 4-12 17th Edwards
    2008 2-14 6th Edwards
    2009 4-12 17th Haley
    2010 10-6 17th Haley
    2011 7-9 23rd Haley
    2012 1-10 27th Crennel

In the Vermeil era I know we just outscored opponents so I can deal with that. But just how important are sacks? I'd be curious to look at team that has done good in sacks and see where they land in terms of a record.

It makes me wonder when our best year for sacks (2008) was our worst record (barring us finishing 1-15 this year).

I'd be down with that. Someone to replace Jackson on 3rd downs. Heck that might even help Jackson out by giving him more breathers.

I know that in a 3-4 the D-line's job is to take up blocks but when our LB'er rushs it looks like we've got a bad 4-3 line. The question I have is just how import are sacks to a team? You'd think that they're very important and would indicate how often you get pressure on the QB. I thought so too until I went back and found this.

2002 8-8 11th Vermeil
    2003 13-3 19th Vermeil
    2004 7-9 32nd Vermeil
    2005 10-6 29th Vermeil
    2006 9-7 26th Edwards
    2007 4-12 17th Edwards
    2008 2-14 6th Edwards
    2009 4-12 17th Haley
    2010 10-6 17th Haley
    2011 7-9 23rd Haley
    2012 1-10 27th Crennel

In the Vermeil era I know we just outscored opponents so I can deal with that. But just how important are sacks? I'd be curious to look at team that has done good in sacks and see where they land in terms of a record.

It makes me wonder when our best year for sacks (2008) was our worst record (barring us finishing 1-15 this year).
    That's part of the reason we need a 3-4 DE that can get at the passer (a la JJ Watt). Granted Watt is a physical speciment of his own and is a once in a blue moon type prospect. I think it's easy for teams to chip Houston or Hali though w/ a RB and completely eliminate our pass rush since nobody else can get at the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Neither Barkley of Smith will make it as a NFL qb. Ala Leinert/Young. Watch - you'll see.

I'd rather go back to 4-3 D

2002 8-8 11th Vermeil
    2003 13-3 19th Vermeil
    2004 7-9 32nd Vermeil
    2005 10-6 29th Vermeil
    2006 9-7 26th Edwards
    2007 4-12 17th Edwards
    2008 2-14 6th Edwards
    2009 4-12 17th Haley
    2010 10-6 17th Haley
    2011 7-9 23rd Haley
    2012 1-10 27th Crennel

I can answer that. The Chiefs Defense only had 10 sacks in 2008. The numbers posted are wrong regarding 2008. Here is the correct numbers.

Kansas City Chiefs Stats at NFL.com

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast