Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NFL on pay-per-view?

Default NFL on pay-per-view?

That's what its quickly turning into, folks. Soon, you will have to order pay-per-views to watch your favorite team take the field on Sundays.

Last year, the NFL began broadcasting late-season, Thrusday night games exclusively on NFL Network. This year, the trend continues to an even greater extent. It seems that the NFL needs somebody to remind them that they would not be where they are today without their fans. If the NFL had been on a pay-per-view system like the WWE for the last several decades, their fan-base and revenue would probably not be nearly as huge as it is today.

Tonight the Cowboys and Packers face off for the undisputed number-one spot in the NFC and most of America will not be able to watch it from the comfort of their own homes. Currently, only about 30 to 40 percent of the more than 111 million TV-homes across America have the NFL Network.

Tonight, bars all across the country will be flooded with patrons looking for a place to watch something they could previously enjoy from their easy chair with a basic cable subscription. The NFL Network is available through several TV providers for a fee, of course and while Comcast now offers the NFL Network as part of a sports package that costs roughly five dollars a month, Time Warner and the NFL are still at odds with each other over carrying the channel.

Those people who have become fans of the NFL over the years are probably asking themselves why they should have to pay for something previously provided to them for no extra cost. It's a good question and one that deserves to be honestly answered with a reasonable resolution-- not for the already filthy-rich NFL and TV networks, but for the fans. The NFL would never be where it is at today without us, yet they throw us between themselves and the cable companies as pawns and bargaining chips in their corporate game of monopoly.

As a Comcast customer, I would like to know why I have to pay for a sports package that includes channels I will never watch just to get a few games at the tail-end of an NFL season that lasts less than half a year. They expect me to pay all year for something I will use for little more than a month. I don't follow either the NBA or NHL closely (both leagues' exclusive channels are included in Comcast's sports package) and I couldn't even tell you what other channels are included in the package because I would have little to no interest in watching them.

So, now I have to either pay more money on my cable bill or go to a bar and pay jacked-up beer prices to be crammed like sardines into an overly-crowded and uncomfortable atmosphere just to watch a single game. If the implications of tonight's matchup weren't so huge, I wouldn't even bother.

As a long-time fan of the NFL, I find myself becoming more and more disgusted with the antics of this league. What I see now is a greedy, merciless, corporate, money-grubbing machine that cares about as much for its own fans and players as it does feces. Even now, there are NFL players orgainizing fund-raisers and even giving up game checks in order to help provide some financial support for former NFL athletes who are plagued with long-term health problems that stem from the brutality of playing football at it's highest level. If the NFL doesn't even care enough to provide sufficient pensions for the men who sacrificed their bodies to them on the field, what would make anyone think that they would view the fans as anything more than fodder? In a corporate society where the dollar rules: compassion, fairness, honesty, and obligation all to often fall by the wayside. Seeking only the spoils, the NFL and cable companies are locked in a corporate war where the casualties are the fans.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but most of america is able to get the NFL network for around 5 dollars a month, if they dont want to pay 5 dollars a month they aren't much of a football fan, I would like to see the NFL network have 5 or 6 channels and broadcast all televised games that are out of market, I am out of KC and would have to pay 150 or more plus carry Direct TV to get the Chiefs games, I am hoping that digital channels (allowing CBS to broadcast like 5 streams instead of 1) will allow for every game to be an in market game on 1 channel. Then they can sell more advertising and best case I can watch the Chiefs even in Bears country.
    Not in my market it is not. For me to upgrade enough to get NFL Network I would have to jump from $12.50 per month to $85 per month because our cable provider stuck it clear up on a digital sports tier.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    My wife is an AZ native and already tried to put him in a Crapinals jersey...we had a burning party in the BBQ a couple weeks back.
    I hope that you have that dog house well stocked with essential necessity's!

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Not in my market it is not. For me to upgrade enough to get NFL Network I would have to jump from $12.50 per month to $85 per month because our cable provider stuck it clear up on a digital sports tier.

That would suck, I would say that would almost mean it was worth changing to satellite if that is an option. Although the 12.50 tier I am guessing is the basic and is only 13 channels, but still the jump to 85 is crazy. Here it is a jump from 30 to 40 to go from expanded basic to digital cable. I switched from Direct TV back to digital cable to because for the moment Digital Cable is cheaper due to the number of rooms I have cable in.

Mainly for me I want more options for NFL games then to add the NFL Season Ticket, that is ONLY available on Direct TV. With that if you are in an apt then you cant get it, if you are in a rental house, you may not be able to get it, and if you hate Direct TV it is not much of an option either.

Around here everyone is complaining about not being able to get the Big Ten Network, I am on board with complaining too because it isn't being offered, and it would show a lot more college games, but the big cable company here doesn't want to offer it even at a cost because it would cost them a couple dollars, never mind we have 10 shopping channels and several religious channels.

That would suck, I would say that would almost mean it was worth changing to satellite if that is an option. Although the 12.50 tier I am guessing is the basic and is only 13 channels, but still the jump to 85 is crazy. Here it is a jump from 30 to 40 to go from expanded basic to digital cable. I switched from Direct TV back to digital cable to because for the moment Digital Cable is cheaper due to the number of rooms I have cable in.

Mainly for me I want more options for NFL games then to add the NFL Season Ticket, that is ONLY available on Direct TV. With that if you are in an apt then you cant get it, if you are in a rental house, you may not be able to get it, and if you hate Direct TV it is not much of an option either.

Around here everyone is complaining about not being able to get the Big Ten Network, I am on board with complaining too because it isn't being offered, and it would show a lot more college games, but the big cable company here doesn't want to offer it even at a cost because it would cost them a couple dollars, never mind we have 10 shopping channels and several religious channels.
    We watch primarily network TV so it burns me to even pay $12.50 per month for that. But it gets me a clean signal. I have no interest in the other 200 channels that have absolutely nothing on.

I would love to have more sports but it is just not worth the extra money to get it. Just to get ESPN I would have to go from $12.50 to $45 per month.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I hope that you have that dog house well stocked with essential necessity's!
    Not in my house my friend. I love my wife, and she's a sweetheart. Buy my a$$ brought home the paycheck. She doesn't have to sleep with me, but I'm sleeping in the bed. I know where the couch is, but I'm not sleeping there...unless I fall asleep during a really bad football game.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Not in my house my friend. I love my wife, and she's a sweetheart. Buy my a$$ brought home the paycheck. She doesn't have to sleep with me, but I'm sleeping in the bed. I know where the couch is, but I'm not sleeping there...unless I fall asleep during a really bad football game.
    Mancard status defiantly strong in this family!

It was temporarily revoked on this website, however restoration occured before I slept that night.

As it should be...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

And if it is not offered, then it should be, but if it wasn't for NFL network a these games that are being televised on the NFL network would probably not be televised at all. Again anyone can flame away but I am sticking to my guns.

Also I did say that I would love to see CBS show all of the games they are offered on digital tv, that is free, I am just tired of being offered 4 games a week because CBS here would rather show golf. As for the elitist moneygrabbers, whatever.
    That might be the dumbest thing I ever heard. If NFL network didn't exist (kinda like it didn't used to exist) then they wouldn't air the biggest game of the year?? Are you kidding me?? They would have played it on regular TV high roller. Pay for football....you pay for football moron. Should be free, you want to overpay for it, go to a game.

For me to upgrade enough to get the digital sports tier would double my cable bill. I don't have digital cable nor do I want it because it's crap. You pay a bunch of money for a bunch of crappy channels and then still have to pay extra for the good channels. The cable companies don't even use lube!
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234