Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Donks game #1 discussion thread....

Default Donks game #1 discussion thread....

We've been talking about this game in just about every thread for weeks now so I figure it's time this game had it's own thread.

For the last several weeks I have been worried sick about almost every game, but for some reason I'm feeling fairly good about this one. Maybe it's because it's still 2 weeks 'till the game. Maybe it's because there is no way this game has the potential to be a trap. Maybe it's because there is not going to be some unknown QB with no film available. Maybe It's because our Defense seems to have been almost "custom built" to face Denver. Maybe it's because of Reid's excellent record coming off a bye week (he's 13-1 coming off the bye). Maybe it's because most of our team has played these Broncos before. Maybe I am just crazy.

The Good.........

Reid's teams are consistently well-prepared coming off a bye week.

Sutton will have plenty of time to prepare a game plan for the Donks.

While our Defense has been starting slow the last few weeks, so has the Donks Offense. 6 of their 8 wins have come when the Donks have blown out their opponent in the second half. And the second half has been when our Defense decides it's "Git-R-Done time". Our Defense should be going 110% right about when the Donks start clicking. I feel pretty good about that match-up.

The Donks defense doesn't suck, but they are no world beaters. If our Defense is playing well, and our Offense is playing well, we can score just as many points as the Donks do.

To win this game we are going to need our best effort yet from our Defense, Special Teams and Offense, but I think we are going to see that.

Our Defense should be able to keep this game close and as we all know by now if a game is close going into the 4th quarter we have a habit of winning.

The Bad......

The game is in Denver and their crowd should be amped up. These teams hate each other and their fans are HUGELY PISHED OFF that they are 8-1 while we are 9-0. Their fans are going to be LOUD.

The Donks offense is good and can score a lot of points in the blink of an eye. I have not yet seen anything from our offense that suggests they would know how to come back if we got down by more than 2 touchdowns.

Our offense has not been making a lot of progress the last few weeks, although I have seen more willingness for them to throw downfield...and I think we will NEED at least a couple of long gainers to win this game.

Reid went all pass-happy on us yesterday against the Bills in the first half. I think the pass to run ratio for the first half was 27-7. We won't beat the Donks that way. I love Andy Reid, but I worry that he will look at the Donks vs Cowboys and Donks vs Colts games and think we can beat them in a gun-slingers duel. I think a balanced run and pass game is the only way we can beat the Donks and I'm worried Reid will go cuckoo on us. If we are going to win this game we MUST get a running game of some sort going early in the game so that Alex Smith will have some time when he throws.

No predictions from me, but I think this is a game we can win and if we do then we will truly be in control of our own destiny.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Another thing is, I don't see the Donkeys Defensive Front 7 being as good as some of ones that the Chiefs have already faced. All the Chiefs have to do is make the basic plays work & stay out of 3rd and long situations and continually move the sticks. Sure, they should take shots down the field, but at the right time, such as 2nd and short.

I'm not convinced the Donkey's defense is championship caliber. Hopefully the Chiefs Offense can exploit them, somehow.
    Yes. We have faced better D-lines. We've shown we can overcome that and that our Offense can take advantage of it. We just need to show that our entire team can all have a good 4 quarter game on the same day. If we do that there is NOBODY that can beat us. WE HAVE ALL THE TOOLS TO BE A CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER TEAM. WE JUST NEED TO LEARN TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER FROM THE OPENING KICKOFF TO THE FINAL WHISTLE!!! If we can learn to do that then it is LIGHTS OUT for anybody we face.

Another thing is, I don't see the Donkeys Defensive Front 7 being as good as some of ones that the Chiefs have already faced. All the Chiefs have to do is make the basic plays work & stay out of 3rd and long situations and continually move the sticks. Sure, they should take shots down the field, but at the right time, such as 2nd and short.

I'm not convinced the Donkey's defense is championship caliber. Hopefully the Chiefs Offense can exploit them, somehow.
    Since the Vonnie returned, their defense has gotten better. They looked pretty good against Washington. They made RG3 look very stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Since the Vonnie returned, their defense has gotten better. They looked pretty good against Washington. They made RG3 look very stupid.
    I wouldn't gauge Washington's Offense as a good measuring stick for the Donkey's Defense, as RGIII has mostly struggled this year. The Skins Offense just simply imploded with totally ludicrous play-calling in that game and Miller was on the field against the Colts, and Indy should have scored more than the 39 points that they did score.

I wouldn't gauge Washington's Offense as a good measuring stick for the Donkey's Defense, as RGIII has mostly struggled this year. The Skins Offense just simply imploded with totally ludicrous play-calling in that game and Miller was on the field against the Colts, and Indy should have scored more than the 39 points that they did score.
    +1. Really good teams will not lose their cool, or get to get cute with trick play-calling. They also have a habit of tearing apart the teams that do. The Skins had that game and BLEW it. Reid cannot afford to get goofy in the fourth quarter. For the most part he hasn't.

As much as I hate the Donks...They have a really capable team. But their achilles' heel is not their defense. It's offense. If Von Miller gets checked out of the game, via gameplan or otherwise, the Broncos will soldier on. Get Manning flustered and smacked around, put him on the sidelines, or get him to the point where he starts going for broke, throwing downfield INT's (TY Law made a career out of this with Manning) that team will go down.

The whole reason that the media, as well as football fans everywhere (including myself, and other Chiefs fans) doubt our Chiefs is clear. It is not so much the style we are winning with, but the opponents we have done it against.

If we had the same record, and the same scores, but it included wins against some top contenders, then it would be far more difficult to express dissent.

The lack of quality wins leaves a massive area of "unknown".

But the rest of our schedule is overflowing with the kind of opponents that would make for quality wins.

Every win from here on fills in the unknown with REAL confidence in our squad.

And starting out with a win over Peyton would give instant credibilty to 10-0, where 9-0 is still very much seen as a bit of a fluke.

Besides, I am very anxious to see us get used to seeing playoff-caliber competition.

The point you made that stands out to me is regarding Offensive balance. Specifically the need to run the ball more effectively. Sustained time-consuming drives to points & keeping Manning off the field. Defensively, put Manning under fierce pressure and hit him early and often. And also pick some of his passes off.

If those things don't happen, then the Chiefs won't win.
    Very true! We got to get into his grill, no two ways about it. The thing we have to be careful about is any form of late contact regardless of how light as we all saw in the horrible roughing the passer call Sunday, and because it's Peyton Manning he will always get the benefit of the doubt. However, the defensive pressure cannot become tentative.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Very true! We got to get into his grill, no two ways about it. The thing we have to be careful about is any form of late contact regardless of how light as we all saw in the horrible roughing the passer call Sunday, and because it's Peyton Manning he will always get the benefit of the doubt. However, the defensive pressure cannot become tentative.
    That is SO RIGHT!!!!! Damned Zebras will be doing their best to look out for the Brokeneck Donkeys"!

I don't see a blow out happening (not that it's not possible) but I feel as long as our secondary can cover their receivers man to man. Our sometimes has a tendency to let receivers get behind them. The Donks receivers will make us pay for that if we do. Also we need a much better tackling performance than we had against the Bills. Their rbs were gashing us and seemed to constantly get to the second level of our defense. We need to pursue but not over pursue. I'm glad to be at 9-0 and would love to be 10-0 but no matter the final score as long as we don't give up, and play our game then I'll be happy. Can't wait to see if we're as good as our record says we are or if it's an illusion. I think we'll be ready!! Go Chiefs!!
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Unless we fix our offense and pass rush. Don't think we can fix offense with players we have in 2 weeks.. 32-17 L

I'm optimistic about this game, I do believe this is totally winnable. 2 weeks of our bodies recovering vs a banged up donks. We all know that the bolts are gunning for the donks this weekend and will also gameplan to pressure manning. We have seen some good pass rush coming from the bolts this year. They will have a few licks on manning guaranteed. I don't think Fasano has been full health since he's been back I expect him to be a huge role feeling better in 2 weeks. Even his blocking will open up lanes for Charles. Our O-line needs a huge game. I also expect our redzone offense to do much better with Fasano healthier. Another thing to look at is Denver's horrible defense. We held the cowboys to 16 points vs their 48?? That was the same offense we faced no excuses. We will be able to put up points this game because buffalo's defense was a top 2 defense they were able to stop us in the redzone but we still got points. Denver defense won't be that stiff

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast