Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations From The Offseason

Default Observations From The Offseason

Hi everyone,

I suppose I should introduce myself in the other subforum, but I think we'll be alright. Longtime KC fan here, but this franchise has done NOTHING in FA to get better. I can buy the build through the draft mentality, but when you bring in absolutely no one to improve the team you are going to be in some serious trouble. Here are some of the things we have all seen so far:

-We have done nothing to upgrade at any position this offseason despite losing some role players. In fact, you could easily argue we are worse in the personnel department.

-"Build through the draft." It seems like everyone wants to do it Seattle's way. That's fine, I get it, but even teams like Seattle and SF brought over some FA and made some trades to improve their team. Marshawn Lynch, Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks etc..

- The contracts for some of these players is absolutely ludicrous. You are going to pay Dwayne Bowe nearly 9 million dollars a year? Fasano nearly 3 million, Colquitt 3 million, Chase Daniel 2.3 etc.. Very irresponsible spending imo.

Our core guys are getting old. Derrik Johnson is getting there, Tamba Hali, Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles aren't getting any younger. We can't wait until they are past their primes to start winning. This year won't be like last, we won't be playing an easy schedule.

Why can't we bring veterans to play while our young guys learn and get accustomed to the NFL? We have Sanders Commings in at FS, who didn't even play last year.

First off, welcome to the forum NWO.

The answer to a lot of your questions/concerns is simply money. The Chiefs have little cap space this year, if any. So that leaves the draft, and the current rules for rookie contracts that make it a little more team-friendly to draft as opposed to blowing $$$'s on free agents. It does suck because it's roster management via the accounting department, but it is what it is.

Definitely agree with you about some players getting older, and some that are just overpayed vs. the performance we got from them last year (D. Bowe), but Dorsey is playing the hand he's been dealt. He's also just starting year two, and going by the results of last year (going from 2-14 to 11-5) have got a lot more faith in him than I did in Pioli. The sky isn't falling.

Quote Originally Posted by NWO View Post
    Hi everyone,

I suppose I should introduce myself in the other subforum, but I think we'll be alright. Longtime KC fan here, but this franchise has done NOTHING in FA to get better. I can buy the build through the draft mentality, but when you bring in absolutely no one to improve the team you are going to be in some serious trouble. Here are some of the things we have all seen so far:

-We have done nothing to upgrade at any position this offseason despite losing some role players. In fact, you could easily argue we are worse in the personnel department.

-"Build through the draft." It seems like everyone wants to do it Seattle's way. That's fine, I get it, but even teams like Seattle and SF brought over some FA and made some trades to improve their team. Marshawn Lynch, Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks etc..

- The contracts for some of these players is absolutely ludicrous. You are going to pay Dwayne Bowe nearly 9 million dollars a year? Fasano nearly 3 million, Colquitt 3 million, Chase Daniel 2.3 etc.. Very irresponsible spending imo.

Our core guys are getting old. Derrik Johnson is getting there, Tamba Hali, Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles aren't getting any younger. We can't wait until they are past their primes to start winning. This year won't be like last, we won't be playing an easy schedule.

Why can't we bring veterans to play while our young guys learn and get accustomed to the NFL? We have Sanders Commings in at FS, who didn't even play last year.
    Because Pioli screwed us royally, now Reid/Dorsey are trying to fix it the best way they can. Can't bring in veterans with no cap room

First let me say welcome to Chiefscrowd. Names Matt and I have a few questions for you just as I've had for the others who have been down on the offseason. Some I've been waiting for answers on

1. WHAT DID WE LOSE THAT IS HARD TO REPLACE?
    You said we lost some role players and I agree. We brought in some guys. True those guys are not going to be all stars but they are not going to be asked to be allstars. They are going to be asked to do some little things to fill in the role players. We also still have yet the draft to get better as well. Consider this the best player we lost I think most would agree was Albert. He was far to often not able to play due to his back so even our biggest lost wasnt on the field a good bit last year.

Dorsey is a gm as you stated who likes to build through the draft. We did sign some vets. You might not think highly of them that's fine they haven't proven anything yet in KC or anywhere else. But we did bring some guys in. I don't have great expectations but do think that they can add some little things to the team. But these are going to be the types of guys that Dorsey brings in. I've said this whole offseason that what is going to decided Dorsey's fate as a GM is how he drafts. Doing it his style you HAVE to draft well or he will be like Pioli and looking for anther job soon. I'm not ready to crown Dorsey yet. But I've yet to see one thing that says he's anther Pioli.

Now let me ask you have you considered the fallowing things.
    1. Progression. We all know that there should be some with the rookies from a year ago. It's normal. But there also can be some with the vets in this case. One year ago at this time Andy Reid was a unknown to the vets. They didn't know what he would be asking them to do or how they would fit in with his system. He didn't know the team as well as he does now with a year under his belt he has some info on our players. He knows their good points and their weak points and has had a offseason to plan for such. If he did his job they should also take a step forward in his system and that will be helpful. Time will tell if he did his job in that regard but I've not seen anyone mention this.

2. The youth on this team. Last year this was the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. Where this team struggled a year ago was against playoff teams. It makes sense for a young team to be that way. The good thing was they outside of a real bad day against the Colts in the 1st matchup put up a fight. Many would say they beat the Chargers in the week 17 matchup. They were even competitive with Denver who won the AFC last year. This was NOT a team that got blown away by the good teams. They have to learn how to win. A lot of that will depend on Reid and how well he does his job.

I myself don't think anyone could say this team is a favorite to win it all. But I do think the doom and gloom some have is a overstatement. Of course I felt this in 2012 and that didn't work out so well but that was a different year. But as painful as the end to the season was in January their is some good that can come out of it. IF those who need to do their jobs well (Reid and his staff) this team can build off that painful ending and still be ok.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Because Pioli screwed us royally, now Reid/Dorsey are trying to fix it the best way they can. Can't bring in veterans with no cap room
    How exactly did Pioli screw us? By giving Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers deserved contracts that are now at the stage where all contracts end up -- cut or renegotiate? Eric Berry's contract was slotted, not Pioli's fault.

Did he overpay Dwayne Bowe, Chase Daniel, Donnie Avery or Anthony Fasano? Did he waste cap space keeping Branden Albert around when he knew he wasn't going to keep him? Did he leave Geoff Schwartz walk?

I was as glad as anybody that Pioli was waxed, but the Chiefs' cap issues are hardly something to fault him for.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post

No, it's been Dorsey with his irresponsible spending that has cost us in FA:

Bowe- 9 mil

Daniel- 2.5 mil

Fasano- 3 mil

Colquitt- 3 mil

Devito- 3.2 mil

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    First let me say welcome to Chiefscrowd. Names Matt and I have a few questions for you just as I've had for the others who have been down on the offseason. Some I've been waiting for answers on

1. WHAT DID WE LOSE THAT IS HARD TO REPLACE?
    You said we lost some role players and I agree. We brought in some guys. True those guys are not going to be all stars but they are not going to be asked to be allstars. They are going to be asked to do some little things to fill in the role players. We also still have yet the draft to get better as well. Consider this the best player we lost I think most would agree was Albert. He was far to often not able to play due to his back so even our biggest lost wasnt on the field a good bit last year.

Dorsey is a gm as you stated who likes to build through the draft. We did sign some vets. You might not think highly of them that's fine they haven't proven anything yet in KC or anywhere else. But we did bring some guys in. I don't have great expectations but do think that they can add some little things to the team. But these are going to be the types of guys that Dorsey brings in. I've said this whole offseason that what is going to decided Dorsey's fate as a GM is how he drafts. Doing it his style you HAVE to draft well or he will be like Pioli and looking for anther job soon. I'm not ready to crown Dorsey yet. But I've yet to see one thing that says he's anther Pioli.

Now let me ask you have you considered the fallowing things.
    1. Progression. We all know that there should be some with the rookies from a year ago. It's normal. But there also can be some with the vets in this case. One year ago at this time Andy Reid was a unknown to the vets. They didn't know what he would be asking them to do or how they would fit in with his system. He didn't know the team as well as he does now with a year under his belt he has some info on our players. He knows their good points and their weak points and has had a offseason to plan for such. If he did his job they should also take a step forward in his system and that will be helpful. Time will tell if he did his job in that regard but I've not seen anyone mention this.

2. The youth on this team. Last year this was the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. Where this team struggled a year ago was against playoff teams. It makes sense for a young team to be that way. The good thing was they outside of a real bad day against the Colts in the 1st matchup put up a fight. Many would say they beat the Chargers in the week 17 matchup. They were even competitive with Denver who won the AFC last year. This was NOT a team that got blown away by the good teams. They have to learn how to win. A lot of that will depend on Reid and how well he does his job.

I myself don't think anyone could say this team is a favorite to win it all. But I do think the doom and gloom some have is a overstatement. Of course I felt this in 2012 and that didn't work out so well but that was a different year. But as painful as the end to the season was in January their is some good that can come out of it. IF those who need to do their jobs well (Reid and his staff) this team can build off that painful ending and still be ok.

The point is we haven't gotten better at ANY position and we won't be playing an easy schedule this year. So far, Dorsey's draft has looked a lot like 2009.

We don't even have a second round pick this year which is why we should have added some FA, but due to his irresponsible spending we are watching an off season that was similar to the 4 off seasons under Pioli.

Face it, if we only rely on the draft most of our core guys will be too old to compete. We need FA to help us and so far Dorsey hasn't done jack.
    Last edited by NWO; 04-29-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Dorsey has no money to do anything with this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Dorsey has no money to do anything with this year.

Because he has blown it all on stupid contracts.

No, it's been Dorsey with his irresponsible spending that has cost us in FA:

Bowe- 9 mil

Daniel- 2.5 mil

Fasano- 3 mil

Colquitt- 3 mil

Devito- 3.2 mil

This is absolutely ridiculous.
    None of these contracts are really that bad. This time of the year if they wanted to create cap space to sign someone it's not that hard to do so. But as I've said Dorsey just not going to dip that much into the FA market he's a draft guy. He just has to draft well.

The point is we haven't gotten better at ANY position and we won't be playing an easy schedule this year. So far, Dorsey's draft has looked a lot like 2009.

We don't even have a second round pick this year which is why we should have added some FA, but due to his irresponsible spending we are watching an off season that was similar to the 4 off seasons under Pioli.

Face it, if we only rely on the draft most of our core guys will be too old to compete. We need FA to help us and so far Dorsey hasn't done jack.
    I think right now we are not far off from where we were a year ago and still have to draft. I still would love to know what we lost that was so great. We didn't bring in anyone great true but we also didn't lose anyone great. If this team is going to do well Dorsey is going to have to find a couple of rookies that can come in and help some. That's the task he has.

As for the 2009 draft comment. Dorsey didn't have a lot to work with in the draft. This past years draft was known to be one of the weakest draft in years. If you are on any other forums the hot guy was Geno Smith many wanted to draft him just so "we can finally draft a QB" I don't think many would still want him. I'm not going to worry about that draft just yet but will be keeping an eye on this years draft for sure
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast