Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Game 3 thoughts

Default Game 3 thoughts

The Good

On Offense Alex Smith,Donnie Avery,Jamal Charles
    Donnie Avery player of the game for sure

Defense created turnovers that won the game. And did a fairly good job against the Eagles High speed offense. Justin Houston is clearly in the running for AFC defensive player of the year through 3 weeks

The bad

Offense O LINE O LINE O LINE it's becoming a theme. Fisher played like a rookie and HAS to learn from it going forward. Bowe 1 catch From our number 1 WR not going to get the job done.

Defense a few big plays given up Mccoy tourched them on a number of plays they have to clean that up

Overall this is one the Chiefs were lucky to be in position to win late but they did go out and FINISH the job on offense late in that game. 3-0 Bring on the Giants
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I'm not too concerned with the O-line. I agree that Alex is holding onto the ball too long. However, I don't have the luxury of seeing what he sees as he goes through his progressions. I DO know that the Chiefs haven't committed a turnover all season. Although it might be a tough pill to swallow for Andy Reid, if he wants his WRs to get better looks and not get double covered so much, he needs to force opponents to respect the powerful running game that the Chiefs posses. The last Chiefs posessions in each of the last 2 games is EXACTLY what our offense should look like on EACH posession. Because apparently, THAT offense is unstoppable even when the defense KNOWS it's coming. It needs to be a power running game-centered offense that makes the defense play the run first. When they force defenses to do that, the passing plays begin to open up and this whole scheme works so much better.

I don't know if they're trying to be too cute to start the game or what. But I DO know that if this offense became a run-first team, we would probably be resting the first week of the playoffs. Take that offense who can go 90 yards on 15 plays over 8 minutes when they have the ball and combine that with the redzone efficiency we saw the first 2 games to go along with this elite defensive unit and things could get interesting in January.

Unlike the Jags, the Cowboys and Eagles hang their hat on offense. This Chiefs defense has made them look pedestrian. Things could get tough the next couple weeks, but 3 of our next 4 games are at home.

Do your part!

All I have to say is WHOOP WHOO! DIGGITIE DOG!! 3-0 says it all! Might see the playoffs!!! OH YEAH OH YEAH OH YEAH! Our schedule looks easy. Here are the games I think we should win for "almost" sure from here-on-out: Raiders (HOME), Browns (HOME), Bills (AWAY), Chargers (Home), Redsikins (AWAY), Raiders (AWAY), COLTS (HOME). That would put us at 10 wins!!! :) 10-6 here we come!!!! Maybe even better. Giants game will tell a lot! We can also beat Tennessee...might go at best, 12-4!! Ya never know.

Were is MMH?? He hates when we win

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I don't share the concerns with the offensive line. Alex Smith is holding onto the ball incredibly too long. When receivers aren't getting open, he's not forcing the ball anywhere (hence 0 INTs). The offensive line is holding up pretty well for the most part to give him time to throw, aside from a couple of times last night.

Fisher continues to struggle against the bull rush and looked silly on a couple of swim moves last night. With time (specifically more time on the right side) hopefully he improves. There's some concern there, but it's still very early in his career.

Alex refuses to throw the ball down the field, and that's a tough pill to swallow. That is going to have to change at some point. I saw something that said that he has only attempted 2 passes over 20 yards through 3 games. Bowe isn't getting involved because he is basically a decoy on the outside. Alex rarely even looks in his direction though. Alex has done a good job of taking what the D gives to him and not turning the ball over. Passing is not his strong skill...playing mistake free football is.

The D-line is awesome. Tyson Jackson continues to not be a bust, despite what some might tell you. Justin Houston is a freaking beast (his over/under sack total in Vegas was set to 7.5 before the season...free money). This secondary was outstanding. They play'd press coverage on the outside all game with only one safety at the top. Sean Smith gave Riley Cooper (yeah I know he's not that good) fits and Flowers was outstanding against DeSean Jackson. That was awesome to see Flowers rebound after a tough game against the 2nd best WR in the league, Dez Bryant.

A lot of encouraging things to take from this. The offense HAS to get better at capitalizing on turnovers though.
    I agree with most of this

I would say that sometimes it seems Smith has had time to throw because he has ran for his life trying to get away from instant pressure.

And I don't know if it's Smith Refuseing to throw the ball downfield I think a large amount of that has to do with the WRs not getting open. Like our number 1 last night with a amazing 1 catch for 4 yards.

Fisher is playing like a rookie but you're right there some concern there. He has to get better

The thing even better about the job Flowers did was he did it not at 100% that's a great sign
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I agree with most of this

I would say that sometimes it seems Smith has had time to throw because he has ran for his life trying to get away from instant pressure.

And I don't know if it's Smith Refuseing to throw the ball downfield I think a large amount of that has to do with the WRs not getting open. Like our number 1 last night with a amazing 1 catch for 4 yards.

Fisher is playing like a rookie but you're right there some concern there. He has to get better

The thing even better about the job Flowers did was he did it not at 100% that's a great sign
    On Flowers.....I saw an interview somewhere where he said something like....."We needed everybody tonight. I couldn't not be out there. The team needed everybody whether they were hurt or not."

That is a whole new attitude than we have seen from this team for a while!

Hayvern is prolly mmh. Just changed his name. Now we know where mmh went to.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    No, they aren't one and the same. However, at this stage it's awful hard for anybody to rightfully be down on Alex Smith at this stage. Considering how many times I saw Cassel off target on his throws on short and medium distance throws that should have been easy for him, and by contrast, Smith never missed on his throws to Avery in critical situations last night.

Well regardless one thing smith is way better than cassel and shouldn't even be compared. Smith might not have the strongest arm but him not going deep is more on the play calling amd wr not getting open down field. Smith is very acurate and smart and ia clutch.

Scales 1 to 10 with 10 being the best

Accuracy
    Smith 8
    Cassel 2

Arm strength
    Smith 7
    Cassel 6

Mobility
    Smith 8
    Cassel 4

Read progressions
    Smith 8
    Cassel 0 repeat 0

Clutch
    Smith 9
    Cassel 5 on his best day

Not throwing interceptions
    Smith 10
    Cassel 2

Smarts and game mangement
    Smith 10
    Cassel 1

Smith is the number one reason why were 3 and 0. Hes clutch and no turnovers. If we had any turnovers we wouldnt be undefeated. Yes our defense is real and all but smith is clutch and made plans when he needed to the most. Cassel would have turned it over in those situations. The lack of down field passing is more due to sucky oline and play calling and no open wr when they have called it.

uh No. Hayvern used to be a very loyal Chiefs fan who travelled to KC at least one game a year. I have tailgated with him and he truly cares for this team. He has just soured on some aspects of the team. The fact he is actually back and posting means he is getting excited about this team instead of just ignoring them.

Well regardless one thing smith is way better than cassel and shouldn't even be compared. Smith might not have the strongest arm but him not going deep is more on the play calling amd wr not getting open down field. Smith is very acurate and smart and ia clutch.

Scales 1 to 10 with 10 being the best

Arm strength
    Smith 7
    Cassel 6

You are right on most of these, but Cassel definitely had a way stronger arm than Alex Smith. Cassel could throw the long bombs. The one thing he had going for him.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast