Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weak links based on last nights game

Default weak links based on last nights game

the combination of Studebacker, Jackson and Belcher is a horrible mix. A friend of mine said he saw Studebacker throwing up last night in the trash can in the second Qtr. I hope he was just sick, but he was a very weak link. If he was not sick, I expect Houston to repace him very very soon. Even if he is sick, that will most likely happen.

Belcher is good for runs up the middle, anything else, and he is very big weak link. He is horrible in pass coverage, and any play that he is not squared up on goes for gains.

Jackson gets blocked way to easy. The rams were sealing him inside and running everything right around him.

this offensive line is horrific. I am very upset the Chiefs did nothing to this line last year except draft depth. I could not tell who it was, but I think Lilja got abused. I noticed they ended up putting Hudson in at LG by second quarter.

Gaither was destroying people and I was getting excited when I saw him get destroyed on a speed rush to the outide, and he had to hold the guy and still gave up the sack. If he can knock off the rust, he should be at RT.

Richardson was getting destroyed by third stringers late in the second half.

I know it was scrubs, but Palko looked better than Cassel, and Stanzi looked better than Palko. However, Stanzi had better protection against the scrubs, he was making very good throws. I saw him miss badly on one, but it was not even close to a defender either and he was getting pressure.

Bowe and Cassel actually got in an argument at the line, which caused Cassel to try and call a second time out. Bowe kept waving off to Cassel which frustrated him very much. He then let into Bowe in the huddle.

I am ready for Haley to call the plays. Bill Muir sucks at it. Maybe let Jim Zorn call the plays.

I agree. I thought Derrick Johnson played really well. Palko looked decent against a (mostly) 1st string Rams defense, and Stanzi looked good, albeit against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

The offensive line is a big concern to me. Richardson was called for holding 3 times. The reason he was holding so much was because he kept getting beat. That needs to improve or the Chiefs are in trouble.

I don't know what to think about last nights game. Here's the stat line that really jumps out at me: The Chiefs passed for 251 yards and rushed for only 58. They threw the ball 39 times and only ran it 20 times. (2.95 yds per carry) Jamaal Charles had 2 carries for 4 yds and so did Jones. This is not what I expect from the best rushing attack in the NFL.

Which begs the question, was the pass heavy attack by design, or was it because the Chiefs fell behind early? The 3rd preseason game is supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season, but if this is the game plan, the Chiefs are gonna struggle. My guess is that Haley is confident in his run game and wants to give his offense as much practice as he can throwing the ball. The passing attack should be much improved this year, provided the O line can protect Cassel.

However, for the Chiefs to have success this year they have to commit to the run and run the ball effectively. Running the ball eats up the clock and helps keep the defense fresh. The Ravens won the time of possession battle last night 32:38 to 27:22. That's fine if you are a "quick strike" offense like the Colts, but it doesn't work for a "ball control" offense like the Chiefs.

Because of the lockout This has been a weird preseason. With no mini camp, no OTAs and a shortened preseason, a lot of coaches are approaching these games differently. Normally, in the 3rd game, the starters play the entire first half, go into the locker room, make halftime adjustments and play well into the 3rd quarter. Palko was on the field in the middle of the 2nd quarter, although Cassel came back out for a 2 minute drill.

I'm still optimistic about this year, although there are definite areas of concern. Last night's game was much closer than the 1st 2, but the Rams aren't one of the NFL's elite teams. Wins don't matter in preseason but you still need to score points, and the Chiefs have been outscored 70-23. However, I don't think we will see the same play calling in the regular season that we are seeing now. The Chiefs went 1-3 in preseason, last year, and finished 10-6. My Bears went 0-4 and finished 11-5.

So I still haven't lost hope.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 08-27-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Although the reasons stated for concern certainly are legitimate I tend to put absolutely zero stock in preseason wins or losses. I remember when the Chiefs played the Cardinals in preseason "95" I believe. Buddy Ryan played it like it was the Supper Bowl believing that he had accomplished something great by wining that game. We played them again in the regular season, when it counted, and destroyed them.

I think the entire team looks flat and uninspired. It's like they aren't ready to play and are being beat because of their lack of effort.

Let's hope their effort improves before the opener because if they play this way during the regular season, it will be a very, very, very long season.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    the combination of Studebacker, Jackson and Belcher is a horrible mix. A friend of mine said he saw Studebacker throwing up last night in the trash can in the second Qtr. I hope he was just sick, but he was a very weak link. If he was not sick, I expect Houston to repace him very very soon. Even if he is sick, that will most likely happen.

Belcher is good for runs up the middle, anything else, and he is very big weak link. He is horrible in pass coverage, and any play that he is not squared up on goes for gains.

Jackson gets blocked way to easy. The rams were sealing him inside and running everything right around him.

this offensive line is horrific. I am very upset the Chiefs did nothing to this line last year except draft depth. I could not tell who it was, but I think Lilja got abused. I noticed they ended up putting Hudson in at LG by second quarter.

Gaither was destroying people and I was getting excited when I saw him get destroyed on a speed rush to the outide, and he had to hold the guy and still gave up the sack. If he can knock off the rust, he should be at RT.

Richardson was getting destroyed by third stringers late in the second half.

I know it was scrubs, but Palko looked better than Cassel, and Stanzi looked better than Palko. However, Stanzi had better protection against the scrubs, he was making very good throws. I saw him miss badly on one, but it was not even close to a defender either and he was getting pressure.

Bowe and Cassel actually got in an argument at the line, which caused Cassel to try and call a second time out. Bowe kept waving off to Cassel which frustrated him very much. He then let into Bowe in the huddle.

I am ready for Haley to call the plays. Bill Muir sucks at it. Maybe let Jim Zorn call the plays.
    They said Hudson started the entire first half at LG and the secondhalf at Center. I was listening online to the radio and they said that Lilja was in street clothes? I'm just wondering why, if that is true. B.Waters where are you?!

I know it's only preseason, Haley has won only one pre season game as head coach. Just hate to lose. Looking at all the other injuries in the league---alot of them season ending, well it's why they get paid the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Although the reasons stated for concern certainly are legitimate I tend to put absolutely zero stock in preseason wins or losses. I remember when the Chiefs played the Cardinals in preseason "95" I believe. Buddy Ryan played it like it was the Supper Bowl believing that he had accomplished something great by wining that game. We played them again in the regular season, when it counted, and destroyed them.
    lol was that the year Steve Bono, ran 76 yards with no one but Joe Valerio rumbling along near him?

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    lol was that the year Steve Bono, ran 76 yards with no one but Joe Valerio rumbling along near him?
    That be it. Set an NFL record for longest TD run by a QB, that I believe has since been broken.

It took forever for him to get to the end zone good thing everyone bit on the fake run and were all in the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Dog View Post
    It took forever for him to get to the end zone good thing everyone bit on the fake run and were all in the pile.
    Yeah, I think he was actually worried that the ref would whistle the play dead before he could get to the end-zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Dog View Post
    EVERYONE bites on the run when it's Marcus Allen, third and short. The camera guys, the refs, the crowd...

I would have been surprised if one of the announcers had said it more like "Touchdown?" because he still believed Marcus took the ball into the pile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast