Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith

Default Alex Smith

Quarterback Alex Smith had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 on 17-for-20 passing, for 287 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions. Chiefs are now 11-3 and in the playoffs with him at the helm. (sarcasum starts here) But - he stinks, we payed to much for him, we should have drafted Geno, he is Cassel 2.0, etc. (end sarcasum) I had no prediction before the season started because I had no clue how he would do, but now, I am quite happy we have him.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Topeka, you are looking at strength of schedule based on last years records. If you base it on this years records, the Chiefs have the easiest schedule at .408 and the Donks are at .505. ...
    Thanks for pointing that out. I got the screenshot off of my FaceBook feed and have no idea what the original source was, but I didn't notice that it was based on last year's records.

But I think that just reinforces my point. Even though the Donkeys were playing a first place schedule and we were playing a last place schedule going into the season they had an easier strength of schedule than we did, which makes sense because they face us twice (4 wins) while we face them twice (26 wins). Add to that the fact that teams get better or worse every year (Just look at the Chiefs!) and last year's schedule becomes pretty meaningless. Even though we went into the season facing a stronger schedule than the Donks, we have ended up laying a weaker schedule than them. That gap will narrow somewhat, however, in the next two weeks with us playing the Colts (9-5) and the Bolts (7-7) and them playing the Faiders (4-10) and the Wrecksans (2-12).

That's not to say that the two "equalizer" games don't make a difference. Those two games can be the difference between 10-6 and 8-8 or between 6-10 and 8-8 depending on who you are playing. But the much bigger factor regarding strength of schedule is what division your division happens to play in the 3 year conference and 4 year non-conference cycles.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I think our O-line is on the verge of greatness. Young and talented. With a calm, quality QB like Smith, this group could be something special. Of course, we are used to special O-lines in KC.

Greatness? I wouldn't go that far. YET!

I think the Oline is finally starting to gel. Greatness may be ahead but I still think, for that we need at least one more excellent Olineman, and maybe two.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Greatness? I wouldn't go that far. YET!

I think the Oline is finally starting to gel. Greatness may be ahead but I still think, for that we need at least one more excellent Olineman, and maybe two.
    i want to know if Brandon Albert gets healthy if he gets his job back and if he comes back next year. And if he doesn't return do we move Fisher over or do we use Stephenson over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    i want to know if Brandon Albert gets healthy if he gets his job back and if he comes back next year. And if he doesn't return do we move Fisher over or do we use Stephenson over there?
    That is the big question. I don't think B. Albert will be back. Not because he isn't worth the money, but because Stephenson has played relatively well in his absence (caveat: I haven't watched the games as I don't have Sunday ticket, I'm basing my analysis off of box scores and other peoples observations). The big question in the offseason is who is going to be our long term player at LT. If Stephenson continues to do well against some good pass rushers, and Fisher continues to improve at RT, then it may bring up some questions as to who should play where.

i personally was very excited hearing the news originally about smith. No one wants to give up 2 draft picks for anyone, but the reality is we had zero promising prospects in the draft and outside of smith the free agency market seemed a little thin. I thought it was some pretty good fortune for this team as i was keeping an eye on the niners 2011/2012 season. Also the situation that developed (after all the crap that already had happened) in San Fran made me think that the guy really has something to play for. I started to read around the discord in the fanbase over the trade and understandably so from acquiring cassel and watching what he had given this team (honestly i think he would have been much better with a line that gave him another second or two to actually throw) - But even still it may not have meant all that much without some of the other coaching and gm changes that happened to boot. He's not an elite student of the game like a peyton manning, but hes very intelligent, he seems to internalize very well and learn from those past experiences to improve his play. The reality is that without him we're f***ed at this juncture ;).

I think what is really important about Alex Smith is that with him under center we are a contender for the next few years. And that gives us some time to develop a good replacement. We are MILES ahead of where we were last year and Alex is a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    That is the big question. I don't think B. Albert will be back. Not because he isn't worth the money, but because Stephenson has played relatively well in his absence (caveat: I haven't watched the games as I don't have Sunday ticket, I'm basing my analysis off of box scores and other peoples observations). The big question in the offseason is who is going to be our long term player at LT. If Stephenson continues to do well against some good pass rushers, and Fisher continues to improve at RT, then it may bring up some questions as to who should play where.
    Albert is most likely not coming back in 2014 and NO, he's not worth the money that's he's wanting. He's already turned down lucrative offers from the Chiefs TWICE. He'll go the highest bidder this offseason and I hope it's not the Chiefs. To me, he still looks like a Guard playing out of position at LT and he still draws too many untimely penalties & there's no way that you can convince me that Albert is head and shoulders above Stephenson or Fisher, as both are playing at a higher level than what Albert did in 2009 and 2010 and will give the Chiefs a solid pair of bookend Tackles for many years to come.

Fisher is our projected long term LT. They don't draft a RT at the top of the draft and give him LT money. Next year, barring a RT signing or draft, Stephenson will be our RT.

Quote Originally Posted by iratefan View Post
    i personally was very excited hearing the news originally about smith.
    Nick Foles was my choice. And I thought Reid and Dorsey would go after him since Reid played him some last year and he did reasonably well. Also with the Oregon O that Kelly was gonna put in I thought Vick or a younger version thereof was what they would want in Philly and Foles was the odd man out. I think there may have been an attempt by the Chiefs, but Philly wanted too much for him.

I was OK with us getting Smith, but frankly at the time I was disappointed with the price we paid and with the fact that Foles was such an obvious fit.

I was never against ASmith but had a wait-and-see attitude originally. For the most part I like what I have seen with him, but I let my mind wonder some times about how it would have been had we landed Foles (which I thought would come in cheaper, at the time).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast