Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    there is fantasy football with OL and Defensive Players?
    Defensive players, yes. O-Lineman no.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I didn't think you were disagreeing, fact I think you supported my point that Reid's decline in Philly was not related specifically to him as a HC. While he may have played part to it, I did not believe it was his coaching. It was players like Michael Vick trying to compete with Matt Cassel as turn over king.
    Glad you understood my intent. You know how it is....sometimes the poster's intent and how the reader interprets don't exactly coincide.

I was not much of fan of his hiring but fact of the matter we were a play off team last year. Pending some key injuries the Chiefs dang near won a play off game on the road. I have no reason to complain about Reid or Dorsey given their success in one year.
    Exactly. I had my "ANDY!!!! WTF were you thinking?" moments last year, but I felt he did an outstanding job last season despite a few WTF moments. Perfect? No. But damned good none-the-less. I was especially pleased with how the offense developed over the last 8 games. Reid is supposed to be good at Offense and our offense started to look pretty good the last 8 games. We have what appears to be a much tougher schedule this season and with the cap space problem and missing a 2cond round pick, I expect our best hope this season is a wildcard but I can live with that. We will have a lot of compensatory picks next year and of course after the last many years I'd view a playoff win as a HUGE accomplishment. I view last season as a HUGE accomplishment and so long as we don't suffer a complete meltdown next year then as far as I am concerned Reid/Dorsey have earned themselves at least 2 more seasons at the helm. All in all, I feel that with Reid/Dorsey we are heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Reasonable? How long were Philly fans supposed to wait? The lunatic fringe in Philly gives the group as a whole a bad name. They are some of the most knowledgeable sports fans in the country. Reid was given control of the operations, got desperate after so many close failures and went on free agent spending sprees that led to his demise. He ran the team into the ground. Ask an Eagles fan.

Along the way fans grew tired of his self-deprecating, say nothing, press conferences after losses. They grew tired of hearing how it was “his fault” and finally agreed, while asking “What are you going to do about it?”

Most Chiefs fans said the Chiefs were talented and were only credible leadership and quarterbacking away from contention. So, Reid may have just been in the right place at the right time.

As for forgetting how to coach, most times it’s more a case of going as far as you’re going to go. A change helps a coach in other sports. Very few have won a SB on a second team. The list shortens when you eliminate those who have been in the league more than 10 years. NFL coaches have a shelf life – overall, not just in one city.

Keep that in mind before glorifying Dandy Andy.
    Mongo.....I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you. I don't think I am glorifying Andy Reid when I say that he got one hell of a lot more out of our players than any other HC did in the last 10 years. Just by what he did last year I think he earned at least 2 more years as head coach unless we suffer a complete meltdown this year.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    What universe? The universe of hero-worshiping fantasy football kiddies? Got news for you, a great many that have been following the Chiefs for a long time know differently. And it's not an opinion because I've seen the evidence manifest itself on the football field time and again. Both those players have done or did very little to change the Chiefs fortunes since they were drafted.
    A great many? Maybe the nine of you can get a softball team together. ;) Agree to disagree. Move on.
    ...in my opinion

I suppose if you're okay with hamburger or even sirloin. I want porterhouse.
    We went from "assorted scraps" to sirloin last year. That's a fact. We've lost some pieces this year, but I look for us to stay at sirloin. With a lot of compensatory picks next draft, I expect us to move towards Porterhouse and then to Filet Mignon. Did you really expect us to go from 2-14 to Super Bowl winners in 1-2 years? Nobody is that silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Mongo.....I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you. I don't think I am glorifying Andy Reid when I say that he got one hell of a lot more out of our players than any other HC did in the last 10 years. Just by what he did last year I think he earned at least 2 more years as head coach unless we suffer a complete meltdown this year.
    Fair enough. It's not really saying much given his competition, is it? He'll be here 3 more years unless the wheels fall off completely. They shouldn't.
    ...in my opinion

I’d hire 100 Todd Haleys groping to get the next Bill Belichek before ever hiring a proven Andy Reid.
    Please don't say stuff like that. I hate it when I puke on my keyboard.

Unfortunately, as per your assertion, the Chiefs have funneled themselves into a very tough 2014 campaign. They are reliant on having 2-3 rookies step immediately into key roles impatiently since the talent on this team has diminished since last year. I hope it works out.
    Perhaps. But how were we to avoid that? We simply didn't have the money to keep the Free Agents we lost. Those are cold, hard facts. Sometimes you don't have to like getting fu**** up the ash but just have to accept it. Losing the Free Agents we lost is not the fault of Reid/Dorsey. It's not even the fault of King Carl or Pioli. It is the salary cap.

But I think Reid/Dorsey are taking the buttstabbing that was inevitable and working intelligently to build a real competitor while still giving us a chance of being in the playoff mix. I can't ask a lot more from that from a coach or GM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Boy I wish you were here in 2012 because A lot of people didn't want to here anything but the QB holding this team back. In fact in one of my many rants either here or on the Chiefscrowd facebook I was told that I myself had to be Matt Cassel for saying he wasn't the biggest thing holding this team back. So it wasn't that easy for everyone.

I wasn't thrilled about Romeo being the guy. But I always am of the mind not to pretend they fail until they fail. I didn't want Herm either but I gave him a chance. He failed and I was sure to talk about him failing.
    Yep. I’m used to not being very popular on Chiefs boards. I’m an anti-Homer jaded by 44 years of futility. A franchise that hasn’t won a playoff game in 21 years doesn’t deserve faith or trust. Decisions like hiring Herm and Crennel are why. It was obvious to me. Why not them? I know Reid will fare better. I want a SB in my lifetime. I don’t think Reid is the guy to do it.

And I will again ask what exactly did this team really lose. The "best player" we lost was Albert who A. Wasn't even able to play every game and B. Wasn't exactly great. Yes he went to the pro bowl but that's about as waterdowned as you can get these days. There's a reason most people don't care about the pro bowl these days.
    Albert doesn’t bother me because I knew he was gone the minute Eric Fisher was drafted. They should have cut him then.
    What bothers me is that I can’t name one player replaced by a better alternative. Can you?
    ...in my opinion

He'll be here 3 more years unless the wheels fall off completely. They shouldn't.
    Exactly.

Lemme tell you what I expect from Reid and what I hope for.

1) I expect he will get us back to where we were under Marty. Almost constant playoff appearances.

2) I expect he will get us a couple of playoff wins.

3) I hope he will get us a Super Bowl appearance.

He did those things for Philthy and I honestly believe he can do it for the Chiefs.

If that is not enough to make you happy then you will probably never be satisfied.

This past year we went into the playoffs with what I felt was an EXCELLENT chance of winning a playoff game and an slim shot at making the Super Bowl. That is more than any Chiefs coach has accomplished in a very damned long time.

So yeah...Andy Reid is aces in my book right now. Next year is going to be tougher because of the schedule, but I can live with that. Andy Reid EARNED a multi-year run with what he did last year.

A great many? Maybe the nine of you can get a softball team together. ;) Agree to disagree. Move on.
    Guess again. The numbers are greater than you think. Very few thought Albert was worth top-5 LT money that he wanted, because of the fact that he wasn't. Berry hasn't been the impact player that many thought he would be, in fact, he's had very minimal impact and he's not worth the 10 mill a year that he's getting. He's getting paid more than JC and Alex are and he shouldn't be. That is not an opinion, that is a stone cold fact. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing to anything, because that isn't an opinion, that is a stark reality. Former KC Star writer, Kent Babb called Berry the most overrated player in the game & he's speaking the truth whether anyone likes it or not.

Albert doesn’t bother me because I knew he was gone the minute Eric Fisher was drafted. They should have cut him then.
    What bothers me is that I can’t name one player replaced by a better alternative. Can you?

I can. 1) Albert -- Fisher or Stephenson 2) Lewis -- ANYBODY.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-09-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast