Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gunther Bashes Chiefs

Default Gunther Bashes Chiefs

I don't care for the guy, but he does make some valid points. Not a fan of all the whining though.

Cunningham's Chiefs had lot in common with Lions | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

MOBILE, Ala. — New Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham comes from Kansas City, a team that was a lot like the Lions last season.

The Chiefs ran the Tampa Two defense, were coached by a Tony Dungy disciple and struggled badly, with one of the worst defenses in the NFL and a 2-14 record.

But Cunningham isn’t a Tampa Two guy, and the Chiefs’ defense lacked experience.

“I’ve gone through three years of playing zone defense because I was loyal to Herm Edwards,” Cunningham said today in a conference call. “That’s what he wanted. People here in town knew that I was different than that. My idea is to put a lot of pressure on the quarterback — always has been, always will be.”

Cunningham said new Lions coach Jim Schwartz knows that, though Schwartz ran more zone than usual this season as Tennessee’s defensive coordinator.

Cunningham was Schwartz’s linebackers coach for three years with the Titans, and they became close.

Asked if he were entering a situation in Detroit that is similar to Kansas City, Cunningham said teams need experience by keeping good veterans and finding others in free agency.

“The emotions get involved, ‘Oh, we’ll play with all these young players,’ ” Cunningham said. “But what you don’t understand is, they have to be led by guys like Jared Allen.”

The Chiefs traded Allen, one of the best defensive players in the league, to Minnesota before this season.

“If you have a lot of young players that you’re going to draft, you have to make sure you work the whole process,” Cunningham said. “I believe the mistake we made here is that they tried to add some UFA players like Demorrio Williams. Well, he doesn’t have enough experience and enough ability to lead a bunch of rookies. …

“I can at least share what happened here and the pitfalls we ran into and see what the process brings.”

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Come on guys. You are ripping Gunther for not standing up to his boss and are basically demanding him to get fired on the spot... That isn't real life, at least not to a person who can keep a job.

He tried doing it his bosses way, and he kept quiet doing it. I mean Herm has the no Cursing rule and we know Gunther loved to curse. I didn't hear Gunther whinning about it the last three years. The guy remained loyal to the team, the HC and the city. I thought there was no way he would have come back after they canned him after two years as HC, but he did it and he did it with Class.
    I agree. How many assistant coaches do we hear of that go public with how they think their head coach is coaching? NONE! You won't have a job in this league very long and probably won't get too many offers once that coach shows you the door. Who wants an assistant crying to the media about how you coach? Little reality check fellas. These assistants keep their mouths shut, because they want to move up.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

I had a feeling this was the case all along~

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    I agree. How many assistant coaches do we hear of that go public with how they think their head coach is coaching? NONE! You won't have a job in this league very long and probably won't get too many offers once that coach shows you the door. Who wants an assistant crying to the media about how you coach? Little reality check fellas. These assistants keep their mouths shut, because they want to move up.
    How many coordinators have ever been in charge of a scheme they didn't think would work?!

If Herm was so dead set on the Cover 2 that Gunther couldn't run his offense, Gunther should (1) have found a DC job elsewhere a couple years ago; or (2) kept silent about it after leaving this offseason.

Right now, he looks like a simp for saying that he knew the Chiefs defense wouldn't work with him in charge.

Its funny how Gailey can completely rebuild an offense totally against EVERYTHING Herm believed and forced it down Herm's throat, but Cunningham watches Gailey do it, then pisses and moans about Herm "not letting" him do the same.

Gunther be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Im personally glad to see that he threw Herm under the bus.
    Yup; turn about is fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Its funny how Gailey can completely rebuild an offense totally against EVERYTHING Herm believed and forced it down Herm's throat, but Cunningham watches Gailey do it, then pisses and moans about Herm "not letting" him do the same.

Gunther be gone.
    Do you buy that in an spry can or a powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Do you buy that in an spry can or a powder?
    yes.

by mail order only

yes.

by mail order only
    I've got my credit card handy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I've got my credit card handy!
    great... send it to me on a PM.

don't forget the security code on the back

great... send it to me on a PM.

don't forget the security code on the back
    Charge it to resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast