Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bears Release Veteran SS Chris Harris..Chiefs Pickup?

Default Bears Release Veteran SS Chris Harris..Chiefs Pickup?

Just heard that the Bears released their starting Strong Safety Chris Harris.

With Berry out, I know we have been playing well, but what are the thoughts of picking him up for depth (could even start over McGraw later on in the year, and add SS depth for after this year, when Berry returns)...

I don't really know the guys personality, but I looked at his stats and they are solid.

He has 82 starts in 88 games. In 6 Seasons averaged 80 Tackles a season (High 96, Low 54) Has 15 ints, and 12 Forced Fumbles as well.

From what I understand, Chicago wanted to get younger at the Position (Drafted Major Wright last year in round 3, and Chris Conte, in the 3rd round this year, so he was expendable) He started the season as a starter, injured his hamstring, came back and got benched for a game supposedly because he wasn't fully healed, he then started for them last week, and was requesting a trade before the deadline, but they ended up just releasing him because they couldn't get a deal done.

what are your thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Just heard that the Bears released their starting Strong Safety Chris Harris.

With Berry out, I know we have been playing well, but what are the thoughts of picking him up for depth (could even start over McGraw later on in the year, and add SS depth for after this year, when Berry returns)...

I don't really know the guys personality, but I looked at his stats and they are solid.

He has 82 starts in 88 games. In 6 Seasons averaged 80 Tackles a season (High 96, Low 54) Has 15 ints, and 12 Forced Fumbles as well.

From what I understand, Chicago wanted to get younger at the Position (Drafted Major Wright last year in round 3, and Chris Conte, in the 3rd round this year, so he was expendable) He started the season as a starter, injured his hamstring, came back and got benched for a game supposedly because he wasn't fully healed, he then started for them last week, and was requesting a trade before the deadline, but they ended up just releasing him because they couldn't get a deal done.

what are your thoughts??

There has got be something to this story that we don't know.

no doubt Pioli is on the horn
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    no doubt Pioli is on the horn
    Lets hope so. This guy seems like he would fit in well, not to mention the fact that a little depth back there wouldn't hurt! Unless he is looking for some ridiculous contract, money shoudln't be an issue if this guy can still play.

Quote Originally Posted by C Louie View Post
    Lets hope so. This guy seems like he would fit in well, not to mention the fact that a little depth back there wouldn't hurt! Unless he is looking for some ridiculous contract, money shoudln't be an issue if this guy can still play.
    just because he played well for another team does not mean he can play here. and Pioli knows it. but here's hoping he's the right fit
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Lions got him

source

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    There has got be something to this story that we don't know.
    There is, unless you already know that Jerry Angelo is a horrible GM who frequently makes bad personnel moves. Remember this is the team that had him and traded him away and then traded back for him.

It's possible that his injury is worse than has been revealed and the Bears don't think he has anything left, but I think they are just overvaluing Conte and Major Wright, who are both decent but have yet to play up to the level of Harris in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    Lions got him

source
    The Lions just got better. This could be very bad news for the Bears. I was hoping the Chiefs woiuld get him but thought the Patriots might pick him up.

Oh, well. At least we know we can count on having Berry back next year. It would have been nice to get a little extra help this year, though.

Although it is a moot point now, but I read somewhere that what it came down to was the Bears thought he was not very good on special teams and if he wasnt going to start he was going to be a waste of a roster spot.

Knowing our front office, they probably wouldnt want someone who was not good on special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Although it is a moot point now, but I read somewhere that what it came down to was the Bears thought he was not very good on special teams and if he wasnt going to start he was going to be a waste of a roster spot.

Knowing our front office, they probably wouldnt want someone who was not good on special teams.
    You are correct. The Bears just signed Merriweather so he is locked in as the first backup. Harris would be 4th on the depth chart and you don't stay on the Bears (who consistently rank among the best special teams in the NFL) unless you are a good special teams player if you are a back up.

According the ChicagoBears.com:
    ...the Bears are confident in Brandon Meriweather as the third safety, and feel that Craig Steltz and Anthony Walters will contribute more on special teams than Harris would have had he been relegated to backup duty.
    That is a big part of the reason he was released.

I doubt The Chiefs would have been too high on his list of potential suitors anyway.

In all likelihood, he would probably rather go where he has a better chance of being the long-term starter.

With Berry here, I have to imagine that we would be a team less likely to fit that bill.

But, since The Lions pounced, my whole point is just an exercise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast