Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CHIEFS sign DT

Default CHIEFS sign DT

Chiefs Sign Free Agent DT Daniel Muir

Posted Jan 18, 2013
    Reid FerrinChiefs InsiderKCChiefs.com Email @KCChiefs_Reid
    Team makes second move in as many days

The Kansas City Chiefs signed free agent defensive tackle Daniel Muir, the team announced Friday.
    Muir entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 2007. He's played in 46 games (26 starts) in six seasons with Green Bay (2007), Indianapolis (2008-11) and the New York Jets (2012), recording 111 tackles (88 solo), 0.5 sacks (-5.0 yards) and one pass defensed.
    There's something to be said for playoff experience and Muir has some. He's started in all four postseason games he’s appeared in, recording 16 tackles (11 solo) and 1.0 sack (-5.0 yards), including starting Super Bowl XLIV against New Orleans, while with the Colts (2010).
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

I don't know Muir specifically, but if you guys are really staying with a 3-4 front then I can't imagine that ANYONE from the Colts defensive front would be a good fit. The Colts have been consistently bad against the run for years, and have nearly always had a heavy speed emphasis in their front line, with a lack of mass. This wouldn't be a good fit for the 3-4 front, unless Muir is the exception?! He measures at 6'2" and 320 lbs, so he's certainly not a massive DT.

Here's the report I got from The Sporting News.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm Chiefs signed DT Daniel Muir to a reserve/future contract.

Fantasy Source Spin: Muir's signing is the first of new GM John Dorsey's tenure. Muir played three games with the Jets in 2012 after spending four seasons with the Colts. The 29-year-old will be fighting for a backup job in training camp.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Right now there are way to many holes on this team to go blowing up the 3-4 scheme without putting some priority resources into fitting guys into the 4-3 scheme. The defense was the one solid block this team had last year so the defense will remain 3-4.

Right now the Chiefs are looking to fix the offensive immediately, and in my opinion only, pick up pieces here and there to transition to the 4-3 so that future drafts can be directed at changing a defense to Reid's desire.

This signing is pointing to a 4-3 defense,

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I don't know Muir specifically, but if you guys are really staying with a 3-4 front then I can't imagine that ANYONE from the Colts defensive front would be a good fit. The Colts have been consistently bad against the run for years, and have nearly always had a heavy speed emphasis in their front line, with a lack of mass. This wouldn't be a good fit for the 3-4 front, unless Muir is the exception?! He measures at 6'2" and 320 lbs, so he's certainly not a massive DT.

Here's the report I got from The Sporting News.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm Chiefs signed DT Daniel Muir to a reserve/future contract.

Fantasy Source Spin: Muir's signing is the first of new GM John Dorsey's tenure. Muir played three games with the Jets in 2012 after spending four seasons with the Colts. The 29-year-old will be fighting for a backup job in training camp.

at 6'2 320lbs he could play NT or DE in a 3-4, although he is a little short for a DE he may still be as good or better than jackson so i don't expect we are scrapping the 3-4 not according to all i have read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Right now there are way to many holes on this team to go blowing up the 3-4 scheme without putting some priority resources into fitting guys into the 4-3 scheme. The defense was the one solid block this team had last year so the defense will remain 3-4.

Right now the Chiefs are looking to fix the offensive immediately, and in my opinion only, pick up pieces here and there to transition to the 4-3 so that future drafts can be directed at changing a defense to Reid's desire.

This signing is pointing to a 4-3 defense,
    I dont think you can look at one guy that will be fighting for a roster spot and say that is a sign of what defense they will be running in the near future. You may be correct about staying 3-4 for now and slowly transitioning for the future, but we need more evidence to say that is the case. I believe Reid has said we will be running a 3-4, so for now that is what we will be running.

go to arrowheadpride.com and ck out the artice by nigerian nightmare "the 46 Defense and You"
    he reaffirms we will still be a base 3-4 defense with added variations and does explain it very well...excellent reading!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I dont think you can look at one guy that will be fighting for a roster spot and say that is a sign of what defense they will be running in the near future. You may be correct about staying 3-4 for now and slowly transitioning for the future, but we need more evidence to say that is the case. I believe Reid has said we will be running a 3-4, so for now that is what we will be running.
    Yes, you are right. I am basing my opinion on a very weak hunch. Nothing more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12