Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Default ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Source: Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith
    ESPN.com news services | February 27, 2013
    The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Terms of the trade, which can't officially be completed until March 12 when the 2013 league year begins, weren't immediately available.

The trade agreement was first reported by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer on Twitter.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick while sitting out with a concussion but was professional at every turn and continued to mentor his replacement.

Before his injury, Smith had completed 26 of his last 28 passes -- including going 18-of-19 for 232 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in a "Monday Night Football" win at Arizona on Oct. 29.

He then sustained a concussion in the second quarter of the 49ers' next game, a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11. Smith sat out the next game as Kaepernick dazzled in his debut as an NFL starter, beating the Bears handily at home on "Monday Night Football." Smith didn't start again last season.

The 28-year-old quarterback has thrown for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdowns and 63 interceptions in 80 career games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    He's a college qb, you develop him. At WVU he ran the pistol offense which requires A TON of quick throws. The difference being is that he has all of the physical tools, he has shown he can throw the ball deep with accuracy. He can stretch the field. Alex Smith cannot and does not. Smith as the stats indicate above is just a checkdown, short yardage qb.

That is the difference, and that is why I believe we have so much more upside drafting Geno, resigning Albert and holding onto our second pick versus drafting a LT which we already have with out FIRST PICK and trading a second away for a mediocre qb.

For someone who makes no excuses for geno you sure have a lot of excuses for him the 5 game losing streak why he only had .1ypc more then "noodle armed" Alex everything
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Smile

I see alot of progress here, One more post and you two will be seeing eye to eye.

And also good old off season entertainment!
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 03-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I see alot of progress here, One more post and you two will be seeing eye to eye.

And also good old off season entertainment!
    LOL going back and forth with my man is a good passtime for the offseason I actually enjoy our little back and forths LOL
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    For someone who makes no excuses for geno you sure have a lot of excuses for him the 5 game losing streak why he only had .1ypc more then "noodle armed" Alex everything

I am not making any excuses for his losses. Never have never will. I, along with others see what kind of qb Geno can develop into and become.

It's a fact, the pistol offense is a bunch of quick throws to speedy WR. We already know what kind of qb Alex Smith is, Geno has the physical tools to develop, Alex Smith is what he is, a checkdown qb. It's about drafting and developing a quarterback, you can't draft and develop a NFL veteran, he is what he is.

, you can't draft and develop a NFL veteran, he is what he is.
    I disagree with this. One coach might see something that the coach that had him before just didn't make an adjustment and the player gets better because of that. It has happened before. Even with Alex Smith. When He got a good coach his play increased. YOU CAN'T DENY that. You can't no matter how much you keep trying his play went up. It's possible that Reid spots something with Smith and he improves some more. Will he suddenly become a hall of famer chances are slim but he can improve more
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

He's a college qb, you develop him. At WVU he ran the pistol offense which requires A TON of quick throws. The difference being is that he has all of the physical tools, he has shown he can throw the ball deep with accuracy. He can stretch the field. Alex Smith cannot and does not. Smith as the stats indicate above is just a checkdown, short yardage qb.

That is the difference, and that is why I believe we have so much more upside drafting Geno, resigning Albert and holding onto our second pick versus drafting a LT which we already have with out FIRST PICK and trading a second away for a mediocre qb.

So, you believe that a guy who's known for his QB development and pass-happy offense decided to bring in a QB that won't succeed in his system?

OR

Do you just believe that you know more about Alex Smith based on casual fan exposure than Andy Reid, John Dorsey, and the entire PROFESSIONAL, NFL experienced staff of the Kansas City Chiefs and all the resources available to the franchise to best evaluate these players?

Now, I know you're not so arrogant that you think your evaluations of Alex Smith are better than the front office of the Chiefs, so my question is why do you think Andy Reid brought a QB into KC knowing full-well that he can't succeed in this style of offense? ESPECIALLY when the obvious and easy answer to this whole situation would've been to draft and develop Geno Smith to start instead? What exactly are you trying to say? Is the new administration intentionally trying to sabotage this team or are they just incompetent?

I would think that after 15 years of being the director of college scouting for one of the best drafting franchises in the league, it would afford Dorsey a little more credit. Combine that with Reid's experience and I just have a hard time dismissing this group as incompetent. However, if they came out and said Geno Smith was going to be the next great QB in the NFL, I'd definitely have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    So, you believe that a guy who's known for his QB development and pass-happy offense decided to bring in a QB that won't succeed in his system?

OR

Do you just believe that you know more about Alex Smith based on casual fan exposure than Andy Reid, John Dorsey, and the entire PROFESSIONAL, NFL experienced staff of the Kansas City Chiefs and all the resources available to the franchise to best evaluate these players?

Now, I know you're not so arrogant that you think your evaluations of Alex Smith are better than the front office of the Chiefs, so my question is why do you think Andy Reid brought a QB into KC knowing full-well that he can't succeed in this style of offense? ESPECIALLY when the obvious and easy answer to this whole situation would've been to draft and develop Geno Smith to start instead? What exactly are you trying to say? Is the new administration intentionally trying to sabotage this team or are they just incompetent?

I would think that after 15 years of being the director of college scouting for one of the best drafting franchises in the league, it would afford Dorsey a little more credit. Combine that with Reid's experience and I just have a hard time dismissing this group as incompetent. However, if they came out and said Geno Smith was going to be the next great QB in the NFL, I'd definitely have my doubts.
    What FA qbs has he developed?

The last regime was just incompetent, we have no idea what this regime will do. Initially I was very excited but this Alex Smith trade worries me.

Last night I read that Alex Smith's contract is only 2 years, so this means he is basically filling the gap as far as the quarterback position goes (Mother of god atleast I hope so). I am still upset we traded that much to get him. Now, if we sign him to a multi year deal then we have a serious problem.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I disagree with this. One coach might see something that the coach that had him before just didn't make an adjustment and the player gets better because of that. It has happened before. Even with Alex Smith. When He got a good coach his play increased. YOU CAN'T DENY that. You can't no matter how much you keep trying his play went up. It's possible that Reid spots something with Smith and he improves some more. Will he suddenly become a hall of famer chances are slim but he can improve more

Well what FA qbs has he developed?

Well what FA qbs has he developed?

Mike Vick did pretty well. Who knows how good he could've been if he had stayed healthy. It was only last year that he really fell off the cliff. But his first couple years running Reid's offense were pretty spectacular considering he didn't play every game. Michael Vick has a top 5 arm in this league. Probably throws a better deep ball than any QB in the NFL. His avg/comp during his 2 best seasons ('10-'11) was 8.1 and 7.8 respectively. He only threw for 12 TD's in '10, but passed for over 3000 yards. 2011 saw him step up the passing TDs to 17 with 3300 yards passing. The problem with Mike Vick is his accuracy. In 2010 he was only at 62% and then dropped to 59% the year after.

All we hear about with Alex Smith is how accurate he is and how he doesn't turn the ball over. Reid asked Vick to throw the ball an average of 400 times between '10-'11. In 2011, Smith was asked to throw the ball 450 times and ended the season with a passer rating of 91 throwing a 17/5 TD/INT ratio and a 60% completion percentage with over 3100 yards passing. Those numbers are almost identical to Cassel's career year. Through 8 games of 2012, Alex Smith was on track to throw about 450 times like he had in 2011. Except, in '12, he had a 70% completion rate instead of just 60% like in 2011. If you look at Smith's career, he has improved almost every year. I don't understand this notion that if Smith is asked to throw 400+ times in a season, that he won't be successful, when in fact, his stats tell you the exact opposite. Statistically, the two best seasons of Alex Smith's career (2011, 2012) have come when he was asked to throw the ball 27 times a game. Reid only asked McNabb to throw 29 times a game over his career and only asked Vick to throw 24 times a game.

Alex Smith is perfectly matched with Andy Reid's system. He's accurate, can consistently complete the short throws, take care of the ball, and now brings a L.O.S. element to Andy Reid that the coach has never had before. Give Reid a QB who's smart enough to check at the L.O.S. a la Peyton Manning, and you could potentially have a VERY lethal offense. What's even better is that if Alex Smith is given the ability to check at he L.O.S., he'll be checking to quick hitting routes that will expose the defense. Who better to pull that off than a QB known for his accuracy, consistency, and ability to hit the short passes? The only real problem I have with Alex Smith and the Chiefs' dependency on this guy is his history of injuries. There's no way I would put all my eggs in that basket. I'd make damn sure I had a suitable backup because counting on him to get through an entire season is a bit risky.

I also think it's an incorrect assumption that Andy Reid can't include a run game element into his offense. Philly has been in the top half of the league in rushing more times than not since Reid has been there. They had the 5th best rushing attack in the league in '10 and '11 but dropped to 11th last season. I think Charles is going to do just fine and this offense is going to see a nice, balanced offensive attack.
    Last edited by texaschief; 03-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Mike Vick did pretty well. Who knows how good he could've been if he had stayed healthy. It was only last year that he really fell off the cliff. But his first couple years running Reid's offense were pretty spectacular considering he didn't play every game. Michael Vick has a top 5 arm in this league. Probably throws a better deep ball than any QB in the NFL. His avg/comp during his 2 best seasons ('10-'11) was 8.1 and 7.8 respectively. He only threw for 12 TD's in '10, but passed for over 3000 yards. 2011 saw him step up the passing TDs to 17 with 3300 yards passing. The problem with Mike Vick is his accuracy. In 2010 he was only at 62% and then dropped to 59% the year after.

All we hear about with Alex Smith is how accurate he is and how he doesn't turn the ball over. Reid asked Vick to throw the ball an average of 400 times between '10-'11. In 2011, Smith was asked to throw the ball 450 times and ended the season with a passer rating of 91 throwing a 17/5 TD/INT ratio and a 60% completion percentage with over 3100 yards passing. Those numbers are almost identical to Cassel's career year. Through 8 games of 2012, Alex Smith was on track to throw about 450 times like he had in 2011. Except, in '12, he had a 70% completion rate instead of just 60% like in 2011. If you look at Smith's career, he has improved almost every year. I don't understand this notion that if Smith is asked to throw 400+ times in a season, that he won't be successful, when in fact, his stats tell you the exact opposite. Statistically, the two best seasons of Alex Smith's career (2011, 2012) have come when he was asked to throw the ball 27 times a game. Reid only asked McNabb to throw 29 times a game over his career and only asked Vick to throw 24 times a game.

Alex Smith is perfectly matched with Andy Reid's system. He's accurate, can consistently complete the short throws, take care of the ball, and now brings a L.O.S. element to Andy Reid that the coach has never had before. Give Reid a QB who's smart enough to check at the L.O.S. a la Peyton Manning, and you could potentially have a VERY lethal offense. What's even better is that if Alex Smith is given the ability to check at he L.O.S., he'll be checking to quick hitting routes that will expose the defense. Who better to pull that off than a QB known for his accuracy, consistency, and ability to hit the short passes? The only real problem I have with Alex Smith and the Chiefs' dependency on this guy is his history of injuries. There's no way I would put all my eggs in that basket. I'd make damn sure I had a suitable backup because counting on him to get through an entire season is a bit risky.

I also think it's an incorrect assumption that Andy Reid can't include a run game element into his offense. Philly has been in the top half of the league in rushing more times than not since Reid has been there. They had the 5th best rushing attack in the league in '10 and '11 but dropped to 11th last season. I think Charles is going to do just fine and this offense is going to see a nice, balanced offensive attack.

It's 2:30 am, I will read your post and answer ya back tomorrow.