Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Down

Default Trading Down

So, the closer we get to FA, I am wondering if trading down is becoming more of a possibility.

Here is a realistic scenario of the top 5:

STL - Sam Bradford
    DET - N. Suh
    TB - McCoy
    WAS - R. Okung
    KC - ????

(yes I know it is not the most probable, but it is a possibility)

WAS just tendered Jason Campbell, so they may be interested in trying to make him work.

That leaves SEA and CLE sitting behind us. Both of them want a new QB. CLE let Derek Anderson go and rumor has it Quinn is not too far behind. Either way, they could probably use a good QB.

SEA just dropped Seneca Wallace, who was always thought as the heir to when Hasselbeck cannot come back from one of his many injuries. You have to think they are looking for someone young to replace Hasselbeck when he retires/gets cut in a couple years.

Buffalo and San Fran are also rumored to be interested in QBs.

This makes me think that if it was ever going to happen to us, this would be the year we could trade out of the top 5. Probably just a pipe dream, who knows.
    Last edited by jap1; 03-11-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebigmac09 View Post
    (1st post)
    I think the 5th spot is the last of the top spots it's easy to trade out of because picks 6-9 (or so) demand top-pick money, for talent that isn't on par with the top few players. Berry is available in the scenario you present, proving this point. If we take Berry at 5 we make him the highest payed player at his position, which is not a premium position. I say trade down if at all possible if Okung is gone, but it would be tough to do.
    Welcome to the Crowd!!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    The 49ers have 2 first round picks. 16 and 19 I think. They might be willing to trade one to get a QB and still have a 1st rounder. Just guessing really.
    Boy, I'd be really surprised to see SF trade up to get a franchise QB after the way they have been burned on Alex Smith. I don't see them moving anywhere.

What we should cross our fingers and pray for:

For Jimmy Clausen to look like the next Joe Montana..Dan Marino..or any other hall-of-fame QB during his pro day...

Pray that he's super accurate and his arm will be stronger than what all the scouts expected. Pray that he interviews flawlessly and can show leadership to all the NFL teams

If this happens, we have a great chance to trade out of pick #5 because there are only 2 first round QB's and plenty of teams behind us wanting a franchise QB :-)... unless someone grabs Tebow.

SF definitely has the ammo to trade up to #5 this year..

#5 - 1700 pts

They have pick
    #13 - 1150 pts
    #17 - 950 pts

#49 - 410 pts

I wouldn't mind there 13th and 49th for our 5th... even though the points don't match up... something else can be worked out... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    What we should cross our fingers and pray for:

For Jimmy Clausen to look like the next Joe Montana..Dan Marino..or any other hall-of-fame QB during his pro day...

Pray that he's super accurate and his arm will be stronger than what all the scouts expected. Pray that he interviews flawlessly and can show leadership to all the NFL teams

If this happens, we have a great chance to trade out of pick #5 because there are only 2 first round QB's and plenty of teams behind us wanting a franchise QB :-)... unless someone grabs Tebow.

SF definitely has the ammo to trade up to #5 this year..

#5 - 1700 pts

They have pick
    #13 - 1150 pts
    #17 - 950 pts

#49 - 410 pts

I wouldn't mind there 13th and 49th for our 5th... even though the points don't match up... something else can be worked out... :-)
    If this happens...I hope he's on our team. Screw the draft if he's that good!

I agree with saphojunkie,there is not much of a drop of beteen the 3 nose tackles.If possible trade out of the #5 spot.GET Bulaga in the first round ,second round I think we should get Spikes with 2a and withe 2b get Dez Briscoe.I think he is going to be a great reciever for someone and I hope it is the chiefs.

Third round get Cam Thomas.

The Chiefs have added WR's, OL, NT's all through free agency. Have they added anyone on this team that could start at LB or Safety? Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but I don't think so. I don't think the Chiefs will take a safety at #5.

The more I think about it, I think the Chiefs will take a LB in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The Chiefs have added WR's, OL, NT's all through free agency. Have they added anyone on this team that could start at LB or Safety? Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but I don't think so. I don't think the Chiefs will take a safety at #5.

I haven't kept up like I should, but we do still have DJ don't we? we just resigned Vrabel and we have Studebaker backing him up not to mention Tamba Hali.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

This year is not very rich in the linebacker department... at least in the first round. Maybe if we trade down we might nab McClain, but im not fond of that call. OT is rich this year and if we miss out on Okung, (and I think we will) we can trade down and still get a decent tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    ===== QUOTE Coach ====

===== /QUOTE ====

This year is not very rich in the linebacker department... at least in the first round. Maybe if we trade down we might nab McClain, but im not fond of that call. OT is rich this year and if we miss out on Okung, (and I think we will) we can trade down and still get a decent tackle.
    In your trade-down scenario, there will also be good LB's on the board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast