Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cassell and bowe

Default Cassell and bowe

I wonder what the cassel haters are saying after the past 2 games about cassel. I for one will admit i was wrong on bowe though. The last 2 games he has stepped up and i am taking back what i said it would be a big mistake if we lossed him. He's finally coming through for kc

Quote Originally Posted by marloweopatchiefs View Post
    Were We Wrong On Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel? - SB Nation Kansas City

You cassel haters really need to get a life as i stated before. Ftw watch the 2 td passes he threw to bowe..there is no way kc is drafting a qb. Cassel is the franchise qb for years to come like it or not.
    He had 13 completions on the game. His completion to Bowe was underthrown, if there was any sort of coverage it would have been an incompletion. He severely overthrew copper and left him out to dry, if it weren't for the new rule we could have very well lost a player for the year. He underthrew another receiver, I believe the one just called up and hit him in the knee. He overthrew Bowe and forced him to make an incredible TD catch. It's hard to argue but the pass intended for Bowe when he ran the wrong route looked pretty uncatchable anyway. He has the best running game in the NFL supporting him and some of the most dynamic backfield pass catchers to dump it off to, a sure handed tight end and a receiver that's currently playing out of his mind. He hasn't done anything that a mediocre QB couldn't be doing. Heck, he was outplayed by Bouman in the first half. I don't expect him to put up consistent deep gems like the elite quarterbacks seem to be able to do, I don't expect him to be able to slot it into a window the size of a basketball hoop to a receiver toeing the sideline, but I do expect him to put the routine throws in a position where the receivers can take the ball in and make their move in one fluid motion, something which he's been very inconsistent with.

I think most of the people that don't like Cassel are like me. We don't hate him, we want him to succeed, but we're unimpressed by his pedestrian-at-best performances. We want to see this team put over the top and in almost every case that change starts at the QB position.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Fair enough...I agree though, he should complete 80% of his passes from here on out, throw at least 3 TD passes, and have a minimum of 12 yds/attempt. Against the Jags he only managed to complete a meager 72% of his passes, only threw 2 TD passes, and had a paltry 10.7 yds/attempt. I'm not sure what was so spectacular about the first touchdown catch. The run after the catch was great, but I think positional players should be expected to make big plays...
    It sounds like you really feel great about Cassel. Almost like there is almost no room for improvement ... nothing more we could possibly expect from him.

I suppose there are some who want this site to consist entirely of pollyanna cheerleading. I prefer to talk about the team on the field.

I'll be one of the 1st ones to say that Cassel has been playing well lately. I've been hard on Cassel in the past, but here lately he's been playing good football. He doesn't turn the ball over and he's improved by leaps and bounds when it comes to not holding onto the football for too long this season. He's good at managing the game. Weis deserves some credit as well for Cassel's success. Weis is playing to our team strengths and has been doing a very good job lately at masking Cassel's weaknesses.

With that said Cassel does have weaknesses. Sure he's been playing decently lately, but when you have a football team that leads the league in rushing, you as a QB should be playing decently. I mean it's not like Cassel isn't without help. Here's my thoughts on Cassel, he's not going to cost us very many games, which is great for the team we have. We have a team that can win with our defense and running game alone. With that being said, for those games that we need our QB to make the game winning drive down the field, I don't feel confident with Cassel as our QB. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but I don't think he will. I just don't see Cassel as the guy that can get it done in the clutch when the game is in his hands and the offense is squarely on his shoulders.

As for D-Bowe, he's had 2 great games which I love, but his problem has never been talent related. It's always been a problem with his focus and consistency. Two games doesn't all of a sudden make him a consistent player. I love the way he's been playing lately and I truly hope he keeps it up, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I hope I didn't come off as too negative, because I'm really not trying to be. I'm happy for both of them and I think they both have been playing well and I hope they keep it up. All I know is right now there's no better time to be a Chiefs fan. Were 1st place in our division and our future's so bright I gotta wear shades.
    Last edited by captainamerica; 10-26-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    Last 2 weeks Bowe has made up for the screw ups at indy.But hes still not a true #1 wr. Then again Cassel isn`t a top grade qb.
    Still think in the offseason we need to trade or draft a stud wr. Also, draft a qb,and not in the 6th or 7th rnd .
    If we get a regular possession reciever. then I am probably going to be just fine with Bowe where he is.

He is, and always has been, a big play threat.

So long as his dropped pass affliction improves, I don't see how you let this guy go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    He had 13 completions on the game.
    Out of 18 attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    His completion to Bowe was underthrown, if there was any sort of coverage it would have been an incompletion. He severely overthrew copper and left him out to dry, if it weren't for the new rule we could have very well lost a player for the year. He underthrew another receiver, I believe the one just called up and hit him in the knee. He overthrew Bowe and forced him to make an incredible TD catch. It's hard to argue but the pass intended for Bowe when he ran the wrong route looked pretty uncatchable anyway. He has the best running game in the NFL supporting him and some of the most dynamic backfield pass catchers to dump it off to, a sure handed tight end and a receiver that's currently playing out of his mind. He hasn't done anything that a mediocre QB couldn't be doing. Heck, he was outplayed by Bouman in the first half. I don't expect him to put up consistent deep gems like the elite quarterbacks seem to be able to do, I don't expect him to be able to slot it into a window the size of a basketball hoop to a receiver toeing the sideline, but I do expect him to put the routine throws in a position where the receivers can take the ball in and make their move in one fluid motion, something which he's been very inconsistent with.

I think most of the people that don't like Cassel are like me. We don't hate him, we want him to succeed, but we're unimpressed by his pedestrian-at-best performances. We want to see this team put over the top and in almost every case that change starts at the QB position.
    Pedestrian, at best?

I think that is a bit of an exageration. Few people would call a 144 QB Rating (As Cassel had against The Jags) nor a 122.9 QB Rating (As Cassel had on the road, against The Texans) Pedestrian.

When the running game is your bread and butter, as it is with The Chiefs, who rank no. 1 in rushing in The NFL, Cassel has been exactly what you want from your QB. 5 TD passes, and zero Ints in two games is nothing short of amazing, when you consider the few attempts.

For the season, Cassel has 9 TDs and 3 Ints.

24 TDs, 8 Ints and a QB Rating of 91.5, as his current numbers would average out to over 16 games, is incredible.

If you disagree with that, then you should have a look at the career of a guy named Joe Montana.

Because a season like that would fit perfectly on Montana's carrer list.

I understand feeling a lack in confidence in cassel. I have that too. I am waiting to see some specific throws from him.

But really. These past two games have been all that I could ever hope for from a QB.

At this point of the season, with a half-and-half runningback tandem, Cassel would get my vote for offensive MVP.
    Last edited by chief31; 10-26-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalT View Post
    It sounds like you really feel great about Cassel. Almost like there is almost no room for improvement ... nothing more we could possibly expect from him.

I suppose there are some who want this site to consist entirely of pollyanna cheerleading. I prefer to talk about the team on the field.
    Agreed, there is room for improvement. But he's getting better every week in my opinion, I have full confidence that will continue. He's made a huge transition to making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball quicker. 89 sacks over the last 2 years, and now 5 through 6 games! It's why the Chiefs are sustaining drives, putting 30+ points on the board. He has been inaccurate on some throws, but it's going to get better as the season goes on and he continues to get more comfortable in the pocket. Cassel is making huge strides compared to last year. I truly think he has tons of potential to be a solid franchise QB as he continues to develop.

2 for 3 , 35 yards - with a 2 yard touchdown pass gives you a 146 QB rating.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    If we get a regular possession reciever. then I am probably going to be just fine with Bowe where he is.

He is, and always has been, a big play threat.

So long as his dropped pass affliction improves, I don't see how you let this guy go anywhere.

Out of 18 attempts.

Pedestrian, at best?

I think that is a bit of an exageration. Few people would call a 144 QB Rating (As Cassel had against The Jags) nor a 122.9 QB Rating (As Cassel had on the road, against The Texans) Pedestrian.

When the running game is your bread and butter, as it is with The Chiefs, who rank no. 1 in rushing in The NFL, Cassel has been exactly what you want from your QB. 5 TD passes, and zero Ints in two games is nothing short of amazing, when you consider the few attempts.

For the season, Cassel has 9 TDs and 3 Ints.

24 TDs, 8 Ints and a QB Rating of 91.5, as his current numbers would average out to over 16 games, is incredible.

If you disagree with that, then you should have a look at the career of a guy named Joe Montana.

Because a season like that would fit perfectly on Montana's carrer list.

I understand feeling a lack in confidence in cassel. I have that too. I am waiting to see some specific throws from him.

But really. These past two games have been all that I could ever hope for from a QB.

At this point of the season, with a half-and-half runningback tandem, Cassel would get my vote for offensive MVP.
    I never said anything about his numbers. His numbers look pretty good over the last few games for the relatively small roll he plays (as far as quarterbacks go) but just look at where a lot of those numbers are coming from. To me it hasn't been consistent and it hasn't been the kind of play you can count on to produce consistently against a competent defense. Honestly the difference I see between last year's Cassel and this year's Cassel is confidence. I think the apparent change in play is more due to the quality of players he has around him now. Like I said, when he's able to hit his targets in stride and make the job of his receivers easier on a consistent basis, I'll change my tune. He was one of only a couple QBs to have back to back 400 yard games and he came into KC and stunk it up for a year. I'm still not convinced that he's any different a QB than the one that led the Pats to 11-5 and showed routine frustration just a year later (I'll give credit where credit is due. He did have a few awesome plays like the dart to Bowe against the Texans and his presence does look a lot better).

Btw, if anybody follows Kansas State football, you might know that Carson Coffman has some of the best numbers in college football. He's dropped off recently but through the first 4 or 5 games he was up there with the likes of Gabbert, Weeden, Crist, Ponder, Stanzi, Luck, ect. but just watch a game and it's easy to see that he's not on the same level as those players and certainly not a QB that is a fit for the Wildcats (to most he's not fit to be a BCS conference starter).

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalT View Post
    As long as we win, I really don't care but I think it's fair to say that Cassel didn't look all that great yesterday. On two of his big plays he had to rely on spectacular catches. Perhaps he is being asked to play conservatively but that doesn't explain everything in my opinion.

I think Cassel can play better but, as it stands now, it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a qb in the first two rounds of next years draft.
    Not sure I saw the same game you guys did. The one pass to Bowe for a TD needed help from Bowe other than that. I didn't see what you did.

Since the San Fran Game, there has been no QB better than Cassel.

I think it is fair to say, that there are a set number of fans, who just won't believe in him regardless of what he does, and looks for the one play a game to validate their opinion, when realistically, that one play happens to every QB in the league.

Now, I am not saying he a top 5 QB. He is an average QB, who is still learning to play the game at this level. He is doing what the team ask of him. If his performance continues as it has the last four games. I would be very pissed if they drafted a QB with an early pick, knowing there are other holes yet to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Not sure I saw the same game you guys did. The one pass to Bowe for a TD needed help from Bowe other than that. I didn't see what you did.

Since the San Fran Game, there has been no QB better than Cassel.

I think it is fair to say, that there are a set number of fans, who just won't believe in him regardless of what he does, and looks for the one play a game to validate their opinion, when realistically, that one play happens to every QB in the league.

Now, I am not saying he a top 5 QB. He is an average QB, who is still learning to play the game at this level. He is doing what the team ask of him. If his performance continues as it has the last four games. I would be very pissed if they drafted a QB with an early pick, knowing there are other holes yet to fill.

I think the reality is that some fans want a high flying attack, throwing the ball 40+ times a game, racking up 300+ passing and 3TDs. Why don't you ask the Saints, Broncos, and Chargers fans how they like this gameplan. The Chiefs gameplan is phenomenal right now. No team can stop our running attack. If they want to stop the running attack they have to move more defenders in the box. Thus, the passing game becomes wide open. There is no reason to pass the ball for the sake of passing the ball when Charles and Jones can pound it out for 5+ ypc on the ground. Force the other team to start bringing safeties up and coming out with 3-4 linebackers before you take to the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    You mean passes like the two TD passes yesterday.
    Yeah, well at least one of them was way behind.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast