Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Who for Defensive Coordinator

Default Who for Defensive Coordinator

what ideas for DC does anyone have ?
    Alot of commentators think KC should stick to the 34 , get a corner and our D will be fine.

Francisco, i owe you a beer.

LOL Largo Chief, sounds good, but you might have a long commute to Philly to buy me that beer.

Welcome Francisco!

And thanks for the warning on Rob Ryan. I really think that DC is going to be one of the most important selections that Reid makes. So often on an offense-oriented team the defense becomes the "red head stepchild" while almost all efforts are focused on overwhelming opposing teams with points. Sometimes it works, but not all that often. On the other hand that same offense-oriented team with an average to above average defense can be almost unbeatable. While our defense looked pretty poor as far as stats this year, I don't think they were half as bad as the end-of-year numbers suggest. Has to be very hard on a defense when they know that their offense probably won't score 14 points in a game and then watched that same offense turning the ball over with a collection of interceptions, fumbles and 3 and outs.

Give our defense a good DC and an offense that can score points and at least get a few 1st downs when they don't score so that the opposing offense gets the ball down in their end of the field rather than at midfield and I think our defense can be very effective.

I know Reid is offense-oriented, I just hope he gets a good DC and gives him enough support in keeping free agents and in the draft so that we can limit teams to few enough points so that Reid's offense can score enough points so that we start winning some games.

Yeah, well Big Red is red headed himself, so maybe a red headed step child is a good thing.

He had a great one with Jim Johnson. But after that, obviously they had some problems. So after they figure out the GM situation, that's gonna be the next big thing.

Mark my words.....

If Reid gives the team a good offense that scores some points and at least moves the chains a few times when they don't then our D will look pretty good. Not world class, but miles better than they looked this year.

Success breeds success. Defeat feeds on itself and breeds faster than rats.

That sounds good ctchiefsfan. Andy Reid will build a culture of winning in Kansas City. The players will expect to win, on both sides of the ball.

If Reid can do that then the "Reid Era" will be very fondly remembered for a looooong time amongst Chiefs fans. We are nowhere near as bad a team as we appeared this year. Truth be told, I don't think there is a team in the NFL that would have looked good with the GM, coaches and coordinators we had this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    If Reid can do that then the "Reid Era" will be very fondly remembered for a looooong time amongst Chiefs fans. We are nowhere near as bad a team as we appeared this year. Truth be told, I don't think there is a team in the NFL that would have looked good with the GM, coaches and coordinators we had this year.
    .....and QB's and receivers not catching passes that they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    .....and QB's and receivers not catching passes that they should have.
    I attribute a lot of that to the coaches and coordinators. IMO our coaches and coordinators have simply not instilled in out players a drive for excellence. It's kind of like that kid we all knew in school who was REALLY REALLY SMART but he never did much better than Cs. He knew he didn't have to try too hard to perform acceptably for the teacher and so he just did the minimum he had to to not get in trouble. Our coaches and coordinators have just not been good motivators. The players that have shined for us recently are guys that just naturally demand of themselves that they be the best of the best.

DB is a perfect example. He knows that without trying to terribly hard he is going to be an upper echelon receiver. No coach has convinced him that he really needs to go all out to be the very best receiver in the league so he just doesn't try all that hard.

If Tony Gonzales had dropped some of the passes that DB drops on a regular basis he would have been wild with rage at himself. When was the last time any of us saw DB really angry with himself? I don't recall it. Our coaches and coordinators have made mediocrity acceptable for a lot of our players.

And ultimately I think that is our biggest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I attribute a lot of that to the coaches and coordinators. IMO our coaches and coordinators have simply not instilled in out players a drive for excellence. It's kind of like that kid we all knew in school who was REALLY REALLY SMART but he never did much better than Cs. He knew he didn't have to try too hard to perform acceptably for the teacher and so he just did the minimum he had to to not get in trouble. Our coaches and coordinators have just not been good motivators. The players that have shined for us recently are guys that just naturally demand of themselves that they be the best of the best.

DB is a perfect example. He knows that without trying to terribly hard he is going to be an upper echelon receiver. No coach has convinced him that he really needs to go all out to be the very best receiver in the league so he just doesn't try all that hard.

If Tony Gonzales had dropped some of the passes that DB drops on a regular basis he would have been wild with rage at himself. When was the last time any of us saw DB really angry with himself? I don't recall it. Our coaches and coordinators have made mediocrity acceptable for a lot of our players.

And ultimately I think that is our biggest problem.
    Did you go to school with me? Cause that is me to a T while was I school, I was bored and not motivated so I did just enough to get by.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast