Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fire Sutton and....

Default Fire Sutton and....

OK, this probably won't happen. Sutton is not as bad as GRob (ooh I just got a nasty chill typing that name), but he does not know how to adjust. We could do a lot better for DC.

Furthermore the title of this thread is somewhat hypothetical because I don't think Andy will fire his friend Sutton. That said, who would you want as the Chiefs next DC is by some miracle Sutton was dumped?... And why?

- Wade Phillips?
    - Ray Horton?
    - Any of the recently fired HCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Spot on. And if you go that route, count on the Andrew Lucks, Peyton Mannings & Tom Bradys of the NFL to rip you apart every time.

Quoted for truth!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingTBone View Post
    exactly how I feel. Gotta give him a second year with some better players to work with. I'm not a fan of firing coaches or coordinators after 1 year.
    Me neither. Normally. But I'm a fan of accepting and correcting a mistake ASAP. If Sutton is evaluated to be a mis-hire then he needs to go and we need to pursue someone like Wade Phillips before he is snatched up by another team. Reid and Dorsey can't afford to do that evaluation from an emotional stand point.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingTBone View Post
    The future appears bright for us!!
    Depends on how the cap is managed by Dorsey this year. Our schedule is tougher next year and we better field a more talented team next year. Or at least record-wise we will regress.

I saw a replay of the Colts game winning TD had not seen one since it was to painful to watch but they showed it on the Dan Patrick show this morning. Look at that play and I think it backs up what I say about the players being the problem far more then Sutton. There were 2 guys on Hilton on that play. Neither one made the play. A DC can't make the play for 2 guys who are on a WR. This defense needs MAJOR upgrades on the player side before I can be down on Sutton.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I saw a replay of the Colts game winning TD had not seen one since it was to painful to watch but they showed it on the Dan Patrick show this morning. Look at that play and I think it backs up what I say about the players being the problem far more then Sutton. There were 2 guys on Hilton on that play. Neither one made the play. A DC can't make the play for 2 guys who are on a WR. This defense needs MAJOR upgrades on the player side before I can be down on Sutton.
    Or does a good coach bring out the best in players? In other words, do players believe in him and play hard for him? Back to when Cowher was our DC Our players played real hard for him even before the D roster got loaded with talent.

Look, you may very well be right, but I, as a long suffering Chiefs fan, would feel a hell of a lot better with a stronger coaching staff, i.e. a DC with a better resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Or does a good coach bring out the best in players? In other words, do players believe in him and play hard for him? Back to when Cowher was our DC Our players played real hard for him even before the D roster got loaded with talent.

Look, you may very well be right, but I, as a long suffering Chiefs fan, would feel a hell of a lot better with a stronger coaching staff, i.e. a DC with a better resume.
    The coaching point is not lost on me. I'm a HUGE believer that coaching can make a huge difference. Just look at this season.

But there comes a time when you have to point at the players. This core group on defense has had this history as I have said. Just look at all the games that they have FOLDED before Sutton was the DC. 7 last year more then 30 points 5 the year before. It's just hard for me to put that on the DC year 1 when it's been something this defense has done far to often. It's somthing Sutton is going to either have to figure out with these guys or we just need to make a large number of moves. Either way to me at the end of the day on the game deciding play there were 2 guys who COULD HAVE made a play. Neither did. That's on them.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The coaching point is not lost on me. I'm a HUGE believer that coaching can make a huge difference. Just look at this season.

But there comes a time when you have to point at the players. This core group on defense has had this history as I have said. Just look at all the games that they have FOLDED before Sutton was the DC. 7 last year more then 30 points 5 the year before. It's just hard for me to put that on the DC year 1 when it's been something this defense has done far to often. It's somthing Sutton is going to either have to figure out with these guys or we just need to make a large number of moves. Either way to me at the end of the day on the game deciding play there were 2 guys who COULD HAVE made a play. Neither did. That's on them.
    I hear you. I guess we can agree that we cannot dismiss one problem in favor of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I hear you. I guess we can agree that we cannot dismiss one problem in favor of the other.
    True I don't mean to say that Sutton is without blame. But I just think that expecting him to fix every problem of a defense on a 2 win team in one year is a bit to much. He needs to do a better job no doubt. And the players on this defense need to stop being so damn soft in big games and just once man up and get the job done. It's kind of like last year when people were talking about the need for a QB. I said a QB without a new head coach wouldn't make a difference. Well a new DC with this group playing so damn soft in big games won't make much of a difference either. I put a little more on these players for the defensive break down we saw then Sutton
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

We've been a 1st half team all year then in the last 2 minutes they fight like hell also. But 3rd quarter we completely fall apart. Even in a prevent defense we cannot prevent anybody. Winded? Right out of the half they shouldn't be winded or tired. Our guys are great the first half usually. I think coaching needs to be addressed being how we can spank a team so badly in the first half then let them murder us in the second half.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234