Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitlock's latest

Default Whitlock's latest

As mush as I dislike the guy, he made some damn good points.

Chiefs make case for No. 1, too

Just a few scant hours after the Missouri Tigers used Arrowhead Stadium to make a case for No. 1, Kansas City’s professional football franchise used the same setting to argue it deserves to be No. 1, too.

After falling 20-17 to the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, there’s little doubt the Chiefs belong in the conversation alongside Miami, St. Louis and Atlanta about which team is most worthy of the 2008 NFL No. 1 draft pick.

The Dolphins might be winless, but are they really plagued with the kind of foundational flaws that cost the Chiefs Sunday’s contest?

There are two primary knocks against Kansas City’s team president Carl Peterson and head coach Herm Edwards: 1. Peterson is loath to admit a mistake of any kind and a personnel decision in particular; 2. Edwards is a poor clock and endgame manager.

Anyone looking for proof of these assertions should pop in a tape of Sunday’s game, Kansas City’s fourth straight loss and the Raiders’ first AFC West victory since 2004.

The Chiefs don’t have a kicker. We’ve known that from the beginning of the season when they started with nervous rookie Justin Medlock, and we’ve watched Dave Rayner botch routine kick after routine kick for the past six weeks.

On Sunday, Rayner misfired on yet another chip-shot field goal, a 33-yarder early in the fourth quarter. That miss caused Edwards to eschew a potential, game-tying field goal from 41 yards with 4 minutes, 26 seconds to play.

On fourth and 1 and facing the choice of sending Rayner back out onto the field or handing the ball to rookie runner Kolby Smith, who had gashed the Raiders for 150 yards, Edwards called timeout to think.

After careful consideration, Edwards doubled his trouble by listening to a misguided coach who radioed down to the sideline that Edwards should challenge the spot of the ball. Edwards acknowledged that the refs explained to him a failed challenge would cost the Chiefs a second timeout.

The challenge did fail, which raised the stakes of Kansas City’s fourth-down decision. Down to just one timeout and given the effectiveness of Oakland’s second-half running game, if the Chiefs didn’t convert on fourth down, the game was over.

The Raiders would have all the emotion, the momentum, the clock and Kansas City’s inept passing game on their side.

The Chiefs chose to run Smith. The Raiders met Smith 1 yard into KC’s backfield. Edwards defended his decisions.
    “Three points wasn’t going to help us,” he said.

The lack of timeouts didn’t hurt the Chiefs, in Edwards’ mind, because Kansas City’s defense didn’t stop the Raiders on their ensuing possession.

Whatever, it’s bad football. It’s the kind of football that gets you beat by the Raiders.

Sunday’s performance raised all sorts of questions about Peterson and Edwards.

Why are we just now seeing Kolby Smith? Yes, it was just one game and it was against the Raiders, but Smith looked like the best Kansas City running back we’ve seen this season. He’s shifty, he has good vision and instincts. He can plant and accelerate.

Smith’s success further calls into question Peterson’s Priest Holmes fantasy. Why was Edwards forced to monkey around with Holmes when he could’ve been developing Smith? For years we blasted the Royals for launching youth movements by signing old has-beens. It was a sign that the Royals were poorly run from the top down. We’re witnessing the same thing at Arrowhead.

We’re also witnessing what got Edwards into trouble with Jets fans and New York media.

There was absolutely no reason to challenge the spot of the football after the Eddie Kennison catch that set up fourth and 1. There was no indisputable visual evidence. Some coach in the booth reacted on emotion and a wish and baited Edwards to react.

Edwards’ coaching staff isn’t sharp. Is there a future head coach on the staff? Gunther Cunningham is a legitimate NFL defensive coordinator. Other than that, Edwards has a staff full of position coaches. I’m not sure Kansas City’s special-teams coach Mike Priefer is qualified to coach in the NFL. What phase of KC’s kicking game has improved under Priefer’s direction?

You don’t win championships with position coaches. You win when your quarterback coach is a future offensive coordinator, your linebacker coach is a future defensive coordinator and your coordinators are future head coaches.

It was a black weekend at Arrowhead Stadium. The Tigers and the Raiders wore black, and the Chiefs have set the stage for some season-ending television blackouts.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564
    2. Edwards is a poor clock and endgame manager.
    No; the man is a complete idiot!

God I hope we don't have any blackouts this season.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Pays to live out of market.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

I hope we do; perhaps this will send the necessary message to Clark Hunt.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    Pays to live out of market.
    Hows that cause I might get the 1 that is blacked out but miss 12 of the other 15 lol. Still would rather get every game that wasn't blacked out and risk a blackout.

From what I posted earlier I feel it would have to be a huge number of unsold tickets otherwise the TV station will buy up the rest and sell them at a discount. They cant afford to lose the ad revenue from not showing the game. Again it all comes down to money. If there are a lot of empty seats though might be more contests on tv for tickets lol. Now if they bought 5000 tickets, and gave all of them away, but the stands were say half empty, now that would send a message.

Not that anyone would listen, but it would send a message.

20 years is a long time for a GM. Unprecedented I might even say.

I guess I was going to most of the games in the mid to late eighties and then got videos of the games from my ex in the early nineties.

When I got back from Germany the games were on every freakin' weak, and have been since.

I really can't remember a blackout of the Chiefs.

But then again a blackout is just that... a blackout!!!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

20 years is a long time for a GM. Unprecedented I might even say.

I guess I was going to most of the games in the mid to late eighties and then got videos of the games from my ex in the early nineties.

When I got back from Germany the games were on every freakin' weak, and have been since.

I really can't remember a blackout of the Chiefs.

But then again a blackout is just that... a blackout!!!

Why yes; yes they are. :p
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Why yes; yes they are. :p

I will not be mocked!!!!

Lord Edmund: I find it most baffling that one so low would hope to gain from mocking one so high!

Nigel the Groundskeeper: Excuse me, Squire.. I don't mean to talk out of turn, but with respect to this mockery, sir, I would imagine if anyone was mocking you, it would be the poachers themselves..

Lord Edmund: They mock me! But not to my face! Now, away with you!!

Nigel the Groundskeeper: Right away, Squire! [ runs out ]

Lord Edmund: [ chases him out ] I will not be mocked!! [ walks around, as the Servants continue to mock him ] I grow weary.. [ looks out the window ] The moon is out. I say, the moon is out, and yet it is day. The moon mocks me.. and I will not be mocked!

Servant #1: Yes, yes! The crescent moon lets its lunar contempt be seen for what it is - a brazen canopy of affrontary! Thomas?

Servant #2: Oh, yes, yes, of course! The impudence of the moon's bold audacity!

Lord Edmund: [ walks away, as the Servants mock him behind his back ] I will retire now to my chamber, where there are only my bed and my dreams to mock me. [ exits room ]

[ the Servants starts mimicing Lord Edmund's every expression ]

Servant #2: "I will not be mocked!"

Servant #1: "You mock me!"

[ Lord Edmund re-enters unnoticed to gather his smoking jacket, watching sadly as the Servants mock him ]

[ end ]

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88jmockme.phtml

Heh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast