Thread: The next round of free agency ...

Default The next round of free agency ...

Now that we have locked up a bunch of people who will play major roles/starters, I think we need to look at the people we may bring in for depth/competition. PFT had this article on who they think are the top 10 free agents left.

Breaking down ten intriguing free-agent fliers left on the market | ProFootballTalk

Off that list, I would be interested in talking with Manny Lawson. He could be good depth behind Hali and Houston. He has the intangibles, and maybe with good coaching from RAC and Co, we could bring him up to his potential.

Also, Geoff Schwartz would give some good depth and experience, expecially since he could play guard or tackle.

Reggie Smith may give us some good competition/depth at FS behind Lewis.

At FB all we have on our roster is Shane Bannon. I dont think he ever made it off of the practice squad last year, so I dont know anything about him. If he isnt cutting it, I would consider looking at Tony Fiammetta.

Some other people not on that list that I would be interested in:

Curtis Lofton, ILB (he would probably start over Belcher)
    Aubrayo Franklin, NT
    Yeremiah Bell, SS

There are also a number of C/G available.

There are a lot of linebackers still out there. One interesting name cropped up though- Tracy Porter, the cornerback that intercepted Manning for a pic six during Peyton's last SB trip, is he still available? Might make for some depth at CB in case Routt doesn't pan out.

Our big need is still O-line, though. Hopefully we'll really be able to stock up in the draft.

Schwartz would be a real nice addition for depth purposes, with the added benefit of playing both OG or OT.

If we could get Franklin, it think he'd be a major addition at NT. Yes he was too expensive and maybe a little overrated going into last years FA, but he definitely would not be asking for the same sort of money as last year, and would be an upgrade over what we have. Plus it means we can look at a NT in rounds 3-5 to develop, rather than reaching on Poe in the first round.

I really think we are looking to draft Keuchly in the first round, so i can't see us looking to make an addition at ILB in free agency with D.J., Belcher and Siler already on the roster.

FB is another position i can see us looking at maybe later in the draft, as I really don't see anyone worthwhile adding in FA.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Now that we have locked up a bunch of people who will play major roles/starters, I think we need to look at the people we may bring in for depth/competition. PFT had this article on who they think are the top 10 free agents left.

Breaking down ten intriguing free-agent fliers left on the market | ProFootballTalk

Off that list, I would be interested in talking with Manny Lawson. He could be good depth behind Hali and Houston. He has the intangibles, and maybe with good coaching from RAC and Co, we could bring him up to his potential.

Also, Geoff Schwartz would give some good depth and experience, expecially since he could play guard or tackle.

Reggie Smith may give us some good competition/depth at FS behind Lewis.

At FB all we have on our roster is Shane Bannon. I dont think he ever made it off of the practice squad last year, so I dont know anything about him. If he isnt cutting it, I would consider looking at Tony Fiammetta.

Some other people not on that list that I would be interested in:

Curtis Lofton, ILB (he would probably start over Belcher)
    Aubrayo Franklin, NT
    Yeremiah Bell, SS

There are also a number of C/G available.
    Would like to bring in Schwartz, heard we brought him in for a meeting or have him scheduled to come in. He seemed like a fan favorite in Carolina, and actually, could be a big steal if we can land him. Would be nice to have the versatility of him playing both OG and OT.

Would love Lofton, but I don't see if happening, haven't heard any word on us having interest, but just don't know if we would be willing to pay him what it would take for that particular position group.

Manny Lawson is interesting...I like that idea, since we didn't get to go after wimbley, I wouldn't mind him, and adding him wouldn't cloud up who would be starting between him and Houston..Lawson is a productive player, and you're right, I think Crennel could get the most out of him.

Also like the idea of Franklin..I would have to say I would like to bring him in the most because I agree that if we try to fill NT in round 1 we might be reaching, and DT's tend to take at least 3 years to develop, I would rather have a serviceable veteran whos price tag has dropped, and rotate him with Powe than basically 2 rookies rotating.

I would say my 1st choices would be Franklin, Lawson, and Schwartz with Bell just slightly behind.

If we could lock all of these guys up, haha man talk about a free agent class!