Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why everybody thinks they are the next Michael Jordan.

Default This is why everybody thinks they are the next Michael Jordan.

Manchester United Recruits 9-Year-Old Standout After Watching Him on YouTube

Friday, August 03, 2007

Nine-year-old Rhain Davis has been recruited by Manchester United after team scouts saw him perform in a YouTube video.

The club brought in Rhain Davis after his grandfather sent a DVD to United youth staff showing the boy playing for an under-10 team in Brisbane, Australia.
    "Manchester United is proud of its history of developing talented young players, and invests considerable time and resources into trying to find the best young players of the future," the club said in a statement.

In Davis' case, however, United need only have invested four minutes. That is the length of a YouTube clip featuring Davis's dribbling, stepover and goal-scoring skills -- viewed more than 800,000 times on the site -- that has led fans to describe him as the next Wayne Rooney.

The club has downplayed such hype, pointing out that it recruits about 40 players of Davis' age every year, and that Davis' status with the club will be subject to the same annual review as any other youth player.

Davis has moved to England and is training with a United youth squad.

"Being here has been brilliant," The Sun newspaper quoted Davis as saying. "The best part has been meeting a lot of the players, like Wayne Rooney."
    Davis was born in England and has a British passport. His grandfather lives in England.

Copied from foxnews.com
    -------------------------------------------------

I find this totally ridiculous. The kid is nine and they recruit 40 players his age every year! What happens to these kids when the organization decides they aren't pro material? I'm sure some of them are crushed. Maybe to the point of having self-esteem/confidence issues in the future. Of course mommy and daddy (or grandpa, or whoever) don't think about the possibility of little Rhain or little Jimmy working as a grocery bagger the rest of their lives after their dreams are crushed. All they are seeing are fame and dollar signs. This is totally dispicable to me and I'm sure it happens in all other sports as well. (Just look at the little league world series and how early those kids are scouted by major league clubs.) This is the very reason that rookies hold out on contracts or superstars get into trouble, imo. They are spoiled! I guarantee you this kid's parents are gettin a boatload of money for this. SICK!
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I'll play devil's advocate.

Did you watch the video? I saw it today on CNN and watched it before going to work. I am just seeing your thread now.

The kid is amazing. He is talent beyond his years. I think it is good that someone is grabbing him and nurturing him.

If the kid was a prodigy with a violin and a university professor picked him up to make sure his talent was watched over and protected, no one would care.

The only difference: soccer pays more than music.

Keep in mind: the odds of him ever playing professional soccer are still remote. If M UTD drafts 40 10-yr olds a year, they sign only a small percentage of them.

Let the kid play and have the opportunity to be great. If M UTD makes $ and the kid makes $, what does it matter? As long as he is enjoying becoming the best he can be with his natural talent.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Manchester United Recruits 9-Year-Old Standout After Watching Him on YouTube

Friday, August 03, 2007

Nine-year-old Rhain Davis has been recruited by Manchester United after team scouts saw him perform in a YouTube video.

The club brought in Rhain Davis after his grandfather sent a DVD to United youth staff showing the boy playing for an under-10 team in Brisbane, Australia.
    "Manchester United is proud of its history of developing talented young players, and invests considerable time and resources into trying to find the best young players of the future," the club said in a statement.

In Davis' case, however, United need only have invested four minutes. That is the length of a YouTube clip featuring Davis's dribbling, stepover and goal-scoring skills -- viewed more than 800,000 times on the site -- that has led fans to describe him as the next Wayne Rooney.

The club has downplayed such hype, pointing out that it recruits about 40 players of Davis' age every year, and that Davis' status with the club will be subject to the same annual review as any other youth player.

Davis has moved to England and is training with a United youth squad.

"Being here has been brilliant," The Sun newspaper quoted Davis as saying. "The best part has been meeting a lot of the players, like Wayne Rooney."
    Davis was born in England and has a British passport. His grandfather lives in England.

Copied from foxnews.com
    -------------------------------------------------

I find this totally ridiculous. The kid is nine and they recruit 40 players his age every year! What happens to these kids when the organization decides they aren't pro material? I'm sure some of them are crushed. Maybe to the point of having self-esteem/confidence issues in the future. Of course mommy and daddy (or grandpa, or whoever) don't think about the possibility of little Rhain or little Jimmy working as a grocery bagger the rest of their lives after their dreams are crushed. All they are seeing are fame and dollar signs. This is totally dispicable to me and I'm sure it happens in all other sports as well. (Just look at the little league world series and how early those kids are scouted by major league clubs.) This is the very reason that rookies hold out on contracts or superstars get into trouble, imo. They are spoiled! I guarantee you this kid's parents are gettin a boatload of money for this. SICK!
    I agree with your post in general with the exeption of hopes and dreams being crushed. Not making a team is going to happen to most athletes at one point or another. Eventually all of us who have played sports and did not make it to the pro level were disappointed at some time. I didn't make all star baseball when I was 9, but it did not from having self esteem issues. (although I have developed quite the drinking habit) but I do completely agree that professional sports organizations are starting too young with these kids. That is why there are more and more athletes coming out of high school with a feeling of entitlement to play right away in the NBA or holdout on contracts in the NFL before ever making a play or even practice (Bowe) People need to let kids be kids and let them enjoy the game before making it their lifes ambition.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    I agree with your post in general with the exeption of hopes and dreams being crushed. Not making a team is going to happen to most athletes at one point or another. Eventually all of us who have played sports and did not make it to the pro level were disappointed at some time. I didn't make all star baseball when I was 9, but it did not from having self esteem issues. (although I have developed quite the drinking habit) but I do completely agree that professional sports organizations are starting too young with these kids. That is why there are more and more athletes coming out of high school with a feeling of entitlement to play right away in the NBA or holdout on contracts in the NFL before ever making a play or even practice (Bowe) People need to let kids be kids and let them enjoy the game before making it their lifes ambition.
    For every kid who comes out high school and tries to play in the NBA, there are 5 who go to college and get hurt and never play again or who do not continue to develop at the same pace and never make it to the NBA.

It's a gamble, but one you have to take -- because you may never get it again.

The real crime is not the kids trying to make the jump - but taking away college eligibility from them if the declare. If you care about the kids, let them test their skills in the draft and if it doesn't work out, let them go to college and continue to develop.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate.

Did you watch the video? I saw it today on CNN and watched it before going to work. I am just seeing your thread now.

The kid is amazing. He is talent beyond his years. I think it is good that someone is grabbing him and nurturing him.

If the kid was a prodigy with a violin and a university professor picked him up to make sure his talent was watched over and protected, no one would care.

The only difference: soccer pays more than music.

Keep in mind: the odds of him ever playing professional soccer are still remote. If M UTD drafts 40 10-yr olds a year, they sign only a small percentage of them.

Let the kid play and have the opportunity to be great. If M UTD makes $ and the kid makes $, what does it matter? As long as he is enjoying becoming the best he can be with his natural talent.
    I've got no problem with him developing his soccer talent, nor with him making money for playing soccer in the future. The bold section is my problem with this. They fill these kids' heads with delusions of grandeur and then send them packing??? That's not right if you ask me.

At 9 years old, the world is still great, exciting, and dreamy to most kids. By their late teens, most people have begun to figure out that the world can be mean, unfair, and disappointing. It just seems to me that this kind of stuff opens wide the doorway for depression issues in the future for the kids that don't make it.

If this kid winds up being the greatest soccer player of all time, great. M UTD will look like geniuses and he will make millions. I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with little Jimmy having a drug problem or something in the future because he didn't make it. I also have a problem with little Rhain becoming some spoiled money-grubber that disrespects the game (whatever game it may be) by making it all about the benjamins.

Normal people work their asses off doing things essential to the continued existence of civilized society and don't make spit. If they play sports they do it for fun. Yes, FUN. Like I said, I don't have a problem with these guys getting paid (and getting paid a lot) to play. I'm a sports fan and love watching the pros do what they do best. I'm cool with that. However, don't expect one iota of respect out of me when you make millions of dollars a year and want to ***** about it!

I just think all sports should ban recruiting until kids are at least a sophomore in high school. Scout all you want. Have your prospects all lined out. Just don't approach them filling their heads with fame and fortune until they are a little better equipped to deal with it, imo.

This is true. Most 9-year-old prodigies have never been cut, however. Plus, everybody deals with disappointment in their own way. I'm not saying that every kid that doesn't make it starts doing drugs and has low self-esteem. The possibilty does exist, however, and is more likely when talking about younger kids like this.

--------

I completely agree. I believe stuff like this actually teaches the love of money as opposed to love and respect for the game. Get your butt in camp, BOWE!

EDIT: Michael Strahan is a perfect example of this. He is going to prematurely retire because the Colts paid Dwight Freeney some insane amount of money. To me, this shows exactly where his devotion lies. Yes, the paycheck is important, but the game is forever.
    Last edited by m0ef0e; 08-03-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    For every kid who comes out high school and tries to play in the NBA, there are 5 who go to college and get hurt and never play again or who do not continue to develop at the same pace and never make it to the NBA.

It's a gamble, but one you have to take -- because you may never get it again.

The real crime is not the kids trying to make the jump - but taking away college eligibility from them if the declare. If you care about the kids, let them test their skills in the draft and if it doesn't work out, let them go to college and continue to develop.
    and 20 who make the NBA and are mature enough to handle it
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I think the kid is entirely too young to be filling his head with visions of grandeur, however, having thus said there is nothing wrong with encouraging love for the game and teaching good sportsmanship while allowing him to develop his talent. IMO

My problem is not with the kid or his parents, it is with the professional organizations that are turning it into a business. That almost makes it child labor, but if a kid loves playin then let him play at a competitive level and develop his skills. If they don't love the game when they are young then they will never have what it takes to make the pros. IMO

My problem is not with the kid or his parents, it is with the professional organizations that are turning it into a business. That almost makes it child labor, but if a kid loves playin then let him play at a competitive level and develop his skills. If they don't love the game when they are young then they will never have what it takes to make the pros. IMO
    Yeah, I can see that. It's a little like child actors; how do people know that's really what the kid wants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast