Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

Default Why Suh is a bad choice for the Chiefs

I have heard many people in here say that they want us to pick Suh, if he was available. Some even want us to trade to an earlier pick to get him. I dont think he will be a good fit for the team because he fills a position that is already filled. Bear with me, it is a long post because I want to explain my thoughts in detail.

Yes, I know our defensive line is no where near the best in the league. However, just putting any good player is not going to improve the DL.

First, we need to look at what skill set Suh brings to us. He is a great defensive tackle in the 4-3 that he has played in. He is a little on the small side and has spent some time playing as a DE in special packages in a 4-3. His role in that defense was to get past the person(s) blocking him and get to the QB or the RB. He has good agility, some bull rush ability and good handwork to get off of blocks.

Next lets look at our defense and where we need help. We run a 3-4. The role of all 3 linemen in a 3-4 are to push the linemen back. They are run stuffers, and they are supposed to collapse the pocket. The players who play DE in this defense are not expected to get sacks (but sacks are always welcome). Their primary duty is to occupy space to clog running lanes, and/or to stop the run. The NTs job is very similar. DEs in a 3-4 are very similar in size to the DTs in a 4-3, and a NT in a 3-4 is supposed to be very large. The skill set desired in a 3-4 linemen is strength to push the opponents back. Agility and shedding blockers is not a skill that they are supposed to focus on.

On our DL we have Dorsey and TJ starting at the DE positions. Edwards is our NT. Right now the biggest need is at NT. Edwards is not a true NT. He is a converted DT. He is undersized and not strong enough to handle the double teams a NT should handle. Dorsey has done better than expected at DE. When he was gone, we got destroyed in the running game. TJ has not done great, but he is also a rookie, and there is a huge learning curve (2 seasons usually) for defensive linemen in the NFL. We do not need 3-4 DEs, we need a NT.

If we drafted Suh, what position would he play? NT? He is too small and doesnt have the brute strength to play there. 3-4 DE? He could probably play this position, but we already have one good DE (Dorsey) and someone we expect to become a good DE (T. Jackson). So by drafting Suh, we are basically drafting someone to replace two people we have a lot of money tied up in that are not playing horribly.

We have much bigger needs that we would be better off filling with that 1st pick.

Now, this is obviously just my opinion, but I could not help but share it given everyone's obsession with wanting Suh. Now I am not saying that he wont be a good player, or that he is not worth picking in the top 5. He is just not a good fit for our current team.

Whats funny is we all have our idea of what we need and what we want and who we will get but when draft day comes and the picks are being made we just scratch our heads and say wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Whats funny is we all have our idea of what we need and what we want and who we will get but when draft day comes and the picks are being made we just scratch our heads and say wtf?
    Definitely been there done that! hahaha

What's really fun is being at Draft Day at Arrowhead, and the crowd boo's at the Chiefs drafts! I've not been to DD the last two yrs, but hopefully his year there will be all cheers, and the draftee's will live up to expectations!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Connie I was at draft day last year and when they cqalled TJ's name the crowd went silent and stayed that way as if we were all drained.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Connie I was at draft day last year and when they cqalled TJ's name the crowd went silent and stayed that way as if we were all drained.
    Most times I was there fan's cheered. There was one year, however...they drafted someone the fan's apparently didn't approve of...many booed. I can't remember who it was they drafted though, or the year.

I remember being excited and cheering when they drafted Bowe, cause I'd been wanting them to draft a hopefully talented WR for a while. That was 2006 I think, the last yr I've been since.

I was told they've changed DD alot in the last couple years...is that true?
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 01-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    LOL! Yup!

Okung is no better than Albert...Albert is learning to play LT with proper technique at a weight that allows him stay fast on his feet to keep up with the fastest pass rushers. Hailey made him lose all that weight so he could be our franchise LT and he really started to get it in the 2nd half of the season. Hes going to be a beast next season. Everyone makes it sound like drafting Okung and sliding down BA is an easy automatic fix and its guaranteed to work....Okung is going to go through the same rookie struggles that all non elite OTs go through. Just because he is the top rated OT in the draft doesnt make him elite. If he as elite as everyone here is making him out to be, there is no way he should make it to us with the teams picking ahead of us. Plus, there is no guarantee BA will work out at RG at the NFL level. (he played LG at VA). Too many uncertainties. Why not just draft Maurkice Pouncey with our 2nd and actually fill a position on the line that needs filling?

Quote Originally Posted by endzonewillie View Post
    I am with you on this , we need to pick up a stud LT so Albert can go back to playing RG which is what he played in college.

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    Okung is no better than Albert...Albert is learning to play LT with proper technique at a weight that allows him stay fast on his feet to keep up with the fastest pass rushers. Hailey made him lose all that weight so he could be our franchise LT and he really started to get it in the 2nd half of the season. Hes going to be a beast next season. Everyone makes it sound like drafting Okung and sliding down BA is an easy automatic fix and its guaranteed to work....Okung is going to go through the same rookie struggles that all non elite OTs go through. Just because he is the top rated OT in the draft doesnt make him elite. If he as elite as everyone here is making him out to be, there is no way he should make it to us with the teams picking ahead of us. Plus, there is no guarantee BA will work out at RG at the NFL level. (he played LG at VA). Too many uncertainties. Why not just draft Maurkice Pouncey with our 2nd and actually fill a position on the line that needs filling?
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Sliding Albert to LG and drafting a LT puts our Oline BEHIND 1 more year as we would have 2 starters learning their position/system. Albert was damn near flawless near the end of the season (Ya, I said it. Watch the tape). As Haley would say, "He gets it". We need an OG/OC on the line. I'm on the Berry/McClain Train.
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

if suh dropped to us we would have teams on their knees competing to trade up into our spot...i never see it as a possibility but it would be highly profitable for us to auction away the player in the draft that everyone wants

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    if suh dropped to us we would have teams on their knees competing to trade up into our spot...i never see it as a possibility but it would be highly profitable for us to auction away the player in the draft that everyone wants
    Never thought of that possiblty. We would probley have a lot of intrest in that pick. seeing that we do have dorsey it might be a good thing to aquire more picks. I dont think any draft pick is worth at least not thinking about getting more.

Best player on the board is still Sam Bradford IMO. If he's there we don't take him though. :(

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast