Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blockbuster baseball trade...

Default Blockbuster baseball trade...

Ahh finally someone other than the Yankees is spending money and collecting stars. The Tigers just took Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera from the Marlins for prospects. There line-up next year will be straight up scary, and Willis will likely be a #4 starter for them behind Verlander, Bonderman, & Robertson. Rogers & Durbin will have to fight for the 5th spot in the rotation. That's sick. If Zumaya can return healthy, they'll return to having one of the best bullpens in the game too. The Tigers will quickly become the new Yankees.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Cabrera, Willis dealt to Tigers

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Detroit Tigers had enough to pull off the biggest heist of the winter after all.
    The Tigers acquired Florida Marlins slugger Miguel Cabrera and pitcher Dontrelle Willis for star prospects Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller, plus four other players.
    The Tigers have long coveted Cabrera, their management's love affair with him dating back nearly 10 years. Detroit assistant GM Al Avila, then the Marlins' scouting director, frothed over Cabrera as a 15-year-old in Venezuela. A year later, Marlins GM Dave Dombrowski – now in Detroit – plunked down a record $1.8 million to sign Cabrera, and three years after that, he was in the major leagues.
    Detroit planted the seed for trades earlier in the day, when manager Jim Leyland approached a Marlins executive Tuesday morning and said, "We want Cabrera." The 24-year-old third baseman, who could be shifted to outfield, was rumored to be headed to the Los Angeles Angels until Detroit jumped into the fray.

As the day progressed, the scope of the trade grew to include the 25-year-old Willis, who finished second in the 2005 NL Cy Young voting.
    The Marlins, looking to shed payroll, picked up the 20-year-old Maybin, universally regarded as one of the five best prospects in baseball, and the 22-year-old Miller, a left-handed pitcher who was considered the best player in the 2006 draft. Also included were catcher Mike Rabelo, reliever Eulogio de la Cruz and starters Dallas Trahern and Blake Badenhop.
    A knock on Cabrera has been that he is overweight. It's possible that a rival of the Tigers, Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, inadvertently helped his American League Central foes become more aggressive about acquiring the third baseman when he was quoted Monday night as saying, "He eats the right things. He works out every day. He's in the best shape I've ever seen him in.
    "Whoever gets this kid is gonna have a heck of a ballplayer with a different mentality."
    Detroit considered adding Willis after the 2005 season, though his stock had soared so high the previous season that the price was prohibitive. The Tigers advanced to the 2006 World Series anyway, while Willis struggled that year and was even worse in '07.
    His value dropped enough that the Tigers struck the deal even after trading their other top two prospects, outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and starter Jair Jurrjens, to acquire shortstop Edgar Renteria earlier this offseason.
    Now the Tigers boast the scariest lineup in baseball, with Curtis Granderson leading off, Placido Polanco hitting second, Cabrera, Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Guillen, Renteria, Ivan Rodriguez and a platoon or Jacque Jones and Marcus Thames.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

i use to know all the players in the major leagues...in the late 80s, early 90s. I no longer do..and dont know any of these players involved in the blockbuster trade.

i lost my interest of baseball 11 years ago!!!!!!

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by timsatt1 View Post
    i use to know all the players in the major leagues...in the late 80s, early 90s. I no longer do..and dont know any of these players involved in the blockbuster trade.

i lost my interest of baseball 11 years ago!!!!!!
    Was that the strike year, I also lost interest during the strike, never got it back. Since the strike I have watched one full game, the Cardinals and Cubs and I took my 6 year old to the game with me, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it. (It was the end of the year and last year at the old Busch Stadium)

Magnum P.I. will be stoked!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I still love baseball, I can't help myself.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    I still love baseball, I can't help myself.
    i wish i could love baseball. i use to.

fun little fact about me...nothing big but for me it is a big deal.

i grew up playing club soccer with the NOW minnesota twins manager Ron Gardenhire's son. Ron Gardenhire sat by my dad during a lot of those games, both in their lawn chairs watching the boring game of soccer lol. At that time he was the 3rd base coach of the Twins.

anyways, he knew i also played baseball and he gave me the Minnesota Twins workout sheet along with some rubber bands (no, not the small rubber bands, the ones you use for like rehab and stuff) and I still have those to this day as memorabilia.

Quote Originally Posted by timsatt1 View Post
    i wish i could love baseball. i use to.

fun little fact about me...nothing big but for me it is a big deal.

i grew up playing club soccer with the NOW minnesota twins manager Ron Gardenhire's son. Ron Gardenhire sat by my dad during a lot of those games, both in their lawn chairs watching the boring game of soccer lol. At that time he was the 3rd base coach of the Twins.

anyways, he knew i also played baseball and he gave me the Minnesota Twins workout sheet along with some rubber bands (no, not the small rubber bands, the ones you use for like rehab and stuff) and I still have those to this day as memorabilia.
    Why can't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    Why can't ya?
    i just have no interest in it anymore. something i cannot change.

i quit liking it when i quit playing it at age 14.

up until then i always dreamed of being a major league baller.

when i was 14 and we won state tournament and after that was over and we had already played 50 games, our coach tells us we are playing fall ball and in an adult league. after seeing high 80s, i decided then that i do not want to continue baseball :) and i was burnt out because of how many games we played that year.

I also lost interest in baseball around fifteen years ago. (Strike year.) I stayed away from the game for more than a decade.

I had a close friend, who was living across the street from me at the time, who was still crazy about baseball, and kind of got me back into it.

But, there is still not the same passion that I used to have for the game. In fact, there are many different things that keep my attention diverted from baseball.

The most recent realization that I have come to is that one single game, in baseball, means nothing. By comparison to football, where a team plays 1/10th as many games in a season, a baseball game doesn't even average-out to the first quarter of a football game.

Even one playoff game is nearly insignificant. Lose a playoff game, and play another tommorrow. In football, if you lose a playoff game, you play again next season.

I still have an appreciation for the skill that it takes to play the game at that level, but get a whole lot less enjoyment from watching the games.

I enjoy the strategy and pace of the game. Also, there's nothing better than sitting in the stands at Kauffman holding a cold Bud Light in your hand.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast