Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gradecard: Scott Pioli - D

Default Gradecard: Scott Pioli - D

1. Pioli should had stepped in immediately after Haley let Gaily go. That was the tell-tale sign that Haley was not the future of this team.
    2. Pioli dishing out a 2nd round pick plus 60 million for a backup QB also not the brightest decision.
    3. Pioli seems to be unable to separate himself from his New England connections rather than come up with his own team philosophy.

I think Clark made the wrong decision in making Pioli a NFL GM. And it shows. Perhaps, Clark might had extended the offer to Belichick, who made all the decisions while Pioli was working with him.
    That said, I'll give Pioli another year to right this ship. Firing Haley is a start, but the fact remains that he was the man that hired him in the first place. I'm not too enthused about who he might bring in next.
    Maybe I'm being too critical, maybe I'm just tired of sneaking into the playoffs once every 10 years, only to lose once we get there.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I have to disagree with the no depth at RB. Jackie Battle, Mccluster both had pretty good season for a back up rb.
    Battle got 4.0 yards per carry Mccluster ended with 4.5 yards per carry. Pretty good for back up guys. Give Charles back with those to the running game will be strong.
    McClusteter shouldn't be your backup RB. There are two many ways to get him the ball in space, and tailback isn't the best method. And Battle is never going to carry a team. Jones needs to retire. But if we had depth at QB and OL, I would say that the RB situation going into the season was reasonable. But that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    McClusteter shouldn't be your backup RB. There are two many ways to get him the ball in space, and tailback isn't the best method. And Battle is never going to carry a team. Jones needs to retire. But if we had depth at QB and OL, I would say that the RB situation going into the season was reasonable. But that's not the case.
    Mccluster averaged 4.5 yards per carry this year. I think that's pretty darn good. Battle might not be able to Carry a team week in and week out but that's not what you ask you back up to do. For the spot they were put in Mccluster and Battle showed they are pretty good depth this season. You can't plan on loseing your starting RB in week 2 of the season. RB is not a spot where we need to focus on. We need to focus on O line and if we have the right QB FAR more then we need to look at RB. Charles coming back will be a huge help to the run game.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Mccluster averaged 4.5 yards per carry this year. I think that's pretty darn good. Battle might not be able to Carry a team week in and week out but that's not what you ask you back up to do. For the spot they were put in Mccluster and Battle showed they are pretty good depth this season. You can't plan on loseing your starting RB in week 2 of the season. RB is not a spot where we need to focus on. We need to focus on O line and if we have the right QB FAR more then we need to look at RB. Charles coming back will be a huge help to the run game.
    And I'm thrilled we have him. I'll give you the point, 4.5 is pretty darn good. 114 carries for 516 yards. Good for RB by committee. With Charles back, DM should be used a lot different than a backup RB, buy you're right, you can't predict your starter will be hurt in week 2. Still don't have a lot of confidence in Battle and Jones is finished.

I thin I can give Pioli the Benefit of the doubt with his first draft... Pioli was hired mid January 2009, and he Hired Haley the 2nd week of February 2009, They then began to fill the coaching staff, and the beginning of march now brought Free Agency.

So within 3 months he had to come into a completely new organization and asses it from top to bottom, side to side (yes the GM's manage more than just the football operations, I work for the Official Printer of the Chiefs, and he even has to sign off on certain marketing materials before they are produced) He then has to set the tone for how he is going to run this operation, get a feel for who he can trust within the organization to help him out while he build relationships within the new organization, conduct a head coaching search, hire that coach, fill that coaches staff, asses the entire roster top to bottom to determine a plan of action and what positions are in need of help, target free agents, bring them in for visits, sign free agents, and oh wait.... There's a draft in April?? He just got here.

Fact of the matter is, Pioli took Jackson for 1 big reason.. HIS CHARACTER! (Pioli was actually attempting to trade back into the teens and planned on taking Tyson there, but the deal fell through)Pioli knew and has stated that he trusted the type of person Tyson was, and wanted to be sure to select someone that could handle the large contract they were about to receive. The last thing Pioli would have wanted to happen, was to take a guy with character issues, and the money go to the guys head, it would have set him back even further. From Day 1, Pioli said he was building this team with players that possess high character, and a passion for the game, and that's what TJ is. He also said the day after he picked Tyson that "He is the type of player that will allow us to build a defense the way we want to, he may not ever become a stat machine, but he is the type of player that will allow us to implement a system that will allow the players around him to be able to easily do what they are supposed to do, and hopefully be more successful because of him." (hmmm...coincidence that DJ had a career year?)

Just saying the 2009 draft class AS A WHOLE produced little talent, and I'm glad to have one of the players that are producing for their teams. TJ is better than he gets credit for.

As for the Grade I give him a B...

Free Agents/Trades: Jones, Lilja, Vrabel, Breaston, Cassel (all played significant roles on this team)

Not to mention Blecher in 2009 as an Undrafted FA now starting 2 full seasons for us at ILB, and notching 100+ tckl season this year.

2010 Draft: Berry, McCluster, Arenas, Asamoah, Moeaki, Lewis... Are you kidding me 6 significant contributors out of 1 draft! the only one not contributing is Cammeron Scheffield, who unfortunatly was injured in the pre-season last year and placed on IR, we have since draft Justin Houston who seems to be working out.

2011 Draft:
    1. Baldwin (Shown lots of Flashes, Injured first couple of weeks,needs consistent QB, but will help this team)
    2. Hudson, (started games this year, will take over for Wieggman Next)
    3a. Houston (1st round talent, for 1/3 the price, he is our answer oposite Hali)
    3b. Bailey (Dude came on the 2nd half of the season, and is our answer to our Pass rush at the DE position)
    4. Jalil Brown (Not alot to go off of, but has shown promis on special teams and in sub pkgs)
    5. Stanzi (Jury is out, but did show promise in pre-season)

So in 2 drafts we have 9 SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTORS to this team (and about 3-4 that could become). I'm sure any NFL owner would be happy with that.

I'm happy with what Pioli is doing, and I think he is really close to making that splash that the Patriots used to do, that puts them over the top to compete for a championship

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    And I'm thrilled we have him. I'll give you the point, 4.5 is pretty darn good. 114 carries for 516 yards. Good for RB by committee. With Charles back, DM should be used a lot different than a backup RB, buy you're right, you can't predict your starter will be hurt in week 2. Still don't have a lot of confidence in Battle and Jones is finished.
    What is it you want to see out of Battle? I thought he did pretty well. He was a 4 ypc guy as a backup I don't think that's bad at all. Battle will never be a Number 1 rb IMO but I do think that he is a pretty solid number 2 throw in a few carries for Mccluster I think Our Running game is one of the best there is.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I thin I can give Pioli the Benefit of the doubt with his first draft... Pioli was hired mid January 2009, and he Hired Haley the 2nd week of February 2009, They then began to fill the coaching staff, and the beginning of march now brought Free Agency.

So within 3 months he had to come into a completely new organization and asses it from top to bottom, side to side (yes the GM's manage more than just the football operations, I work for the Official Printer of the Chiefs, and he even has to sign off on certain marketing materials before they are produced) He then has to set the tone for how he is going to run this operation, get a feel for who he can trust within the organization to help him out while he build relationships within the new organization, conduct a head coaching search, hire that coach, fill that coaches staff, asses the entire roster top to bottom to determine a plan of action and what positions are in need of help, target free agents, bring them in for visits, sign free agents, and oh wait.... There's a draft in April?? He just got here.

Fact of the matter is, Pioli took Jackson for 1 big reason.. HIS CHARACTER! (Pioli was actually attempting to trade back into the teens and planned on taking Tyson there, but the deal fell through)Pioli knew and has stated that he trusted the type of person Tyson was, and wanted to be sure to select someone that could handle the large contract they were about to receive. The last thing Pioli would have wanted to happen, was to take a guy with character issues, and the money go to the guys head, it would have set him back even further. From Day 1, Pioli said he was building this team with players that possess high character, and a passion for the game, and that's what TJ is. He also said the day after he picked Tyson that "He is the type of player that will allow us to build a defense the way we want to, he may not ever become a stat machine, but he is the type of player that will allow us to implement a system that will allow the players around him to be able to easily do what they are supposed to do, and hopefully be more successful because of him." (hmmm...coincidence that DJ had a career year?)

Just saying the 2009 draft class AS A WHOLE produced little talent, and I'm glad to have one of the players that are producing for their teams. TJ is better than he gets credit for.

As for the Grade I give him a B...

Free Agents/Trades: Jones, Lilja, Vrabel, Breaston, Cassel (all played significant roles on this team)

Not to mention Blecher in 2009 as an Undrafted FA now starting 2 full seasons for us at ILB, and notching 100+ tckl season this year.

2010 Draft: Berry, McCluster, Arenas, Asamoah, Moeaki, Lewis... Are you kidding me 6 significant contributors out of 1 draft! the only one not contributing is Cammeron Scheffield, who unfortunatly was injured in the pre-season last year and placed on IR, we have since draft Justin Houston who seems to be working out.

2011 Draft:
    1. Baldwin (Shown lots of Flashes, Injured first couple of weeks,needs consistent QB, but will help this team)
    2. Hudson, (started games this year, will take over for Wieggman Next)
    3a. Houston (1st round talent, for 1/3 the price, he is our answer oposite Hali)
    3b. Bailey (Dude came on the 2nd half of the season, and is our answer to our Pass rush at the DE position)
    4. Jalil Brown (Not alot to go off of, but has shown promis on special teams and in sub pkgs)
    5. Stanzi (Jury is out, but did show promise in pre-season)

So in 2 drafts we have 9 SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTORS to this team (and about 3-4 that could become). I'm sure any NFL owner would be happy with that.

I'm happy with what Pioli is doing, and I think he is really close to making that splash that the Patriots used to do, that puts them over the top to compete for a championship

Great post.

09 I have always put more on the people that Haley and Pioli replaced. Then them. Even with that said 09 was not a bad job by any means. Yes they didn't go out and get the big name guys but look at it this way. When your building a house you don't put in the big screen tv first. You put in the plumbing and eltric work first. You don't go after the luxury items you go over what you need. That's what was done in 09. It wasn't being cheap it was understanding that we needed to do the dirty work first. It's now time to go after that big screen tv and get the luxury items after we get the O line upgrades that we need.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I think Pioli has done a good Job. but we need to get rid of Cassel, And keep Orton. He is twice the QB that Cassel will ever be. If Pioli Keeps Cassel, Im not sure if I'll keep my season ticket.
    Last edited by batfishon; 01-08-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Great post.

09 I have always put more on the people that Haley and Pioli replaced. Then them. Even with that said 09 was not a bad job by any means. Yes they didn't go out and get the big name guys but look at it this way. When your building a house you don't put in the big screen tv first. You put in the plumbing and eltric work first. You don't go after the luxury items you go over what you need. That's what was done in 09. It wasn't being cheap it was understanding that we needed to do the dirty work first. It's now time to go after that big screen tv and get the luxury items after we get the O line upgrades that we need.
    Thanks,
    I mean just think about this, in those two drafts we have came our with at least every pick in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds being starters or big contributors. (not to mention a few more out of the 4th-5th rounds)

This off season we have the fewest amount of holes to fill since he has been here. (probably need an immediate upgrade along the o-line, either LG or RT, a immediate need at NT, if he doesn't plan on Powe taking over, and depth at safety, RB, ILB, QB and TE)

The odds are looking pretty good that we can find 3 players in the first three rounds to fill the holes needed. I think he is doing a really good job, with the "right coach" to go along with his "right 53" I think we are really close to making some noise around the NFL.

What is it you want to see out of Battle? I thought he did pretty well. He was a 4 ypc guy as a backup I don't think that's bad at all. Battle will never be a Number 1 rb IMO but I do think that he is a pretty solid number 2 throw in a few carries for Mccluster I think Our Running game is one of the best there is.
    I think my problem with the running game this year, was the lack of ability to get the first down. Couldn't sustain drives. Although, I will blame a lot of that on the OC. Call the same play 5 times in a row and chances are it's not going to work. For a guy as big as Battle, I expect him to be able to grind out 2 or 3 years to pick up the first down, and often he couldn't. But it's over. Charles back next year, get a replacement for Jones, and work on the real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    Yeah I know who would want a franchise NT or pass rusher?
    Yeah, Hali and Houston are crap!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast