Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bills interested in OG Brian Waters

Default Bills interested in OG Brian Waters

The Buffalo Bills are interested in trading for disgruntled Kansas City Chiefs guard Brian Waters, according to a trusted source.
    The Bills, in the market for a new left guard after releasing Derrick Dockery on Thursday, could be looking to land the four-time Pro Bowler for a deal similar to the Marcus Stroud trade last year, when they gave up third and fifth round draft picks.
    Waters has become disenchanted with the additions to the Chiefs organization. According to Kansas City Star writer Jason Whitlock, Waters asked for his release after new general manager Scott Pioli said he had no interest in meeting him. Whitlock said that Waters was “offended and shocked.”
    Also according to the report, several Arizona Cardinals, including Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, gave new head coach Todd Haley less than glowing reviews. Haley was called “condescending and ignored by veterans.”
    While Waters is 32 years of age and the Chiefs offensive line struggled mightily, there is little doubt about his ability to perform. He would be an instant upgrade over Dockery and could give Buffalo one of the finer left sides of the offensive line in the NFL alongside Jason Peters.
    The Bills would likely have to give Waters a new deal. He’s in the fourth year of a six year, $26.5 million deal and has made no bones about declaring himself underpaid.
    While an interest in a Waters trade hasn’t been made public, a source inside the organization tells me the Bills are “very much interested in him.”
    Pioli refused to honor his request to be released and weren’t open to trading him. But that could change after the Chiefs lost a second-round pick in acquiring Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots. By trading the displeased Waters, the club could recoup draft picks as well as not have their new franchise quarterback hampered
    per Scout.com

thoughts?

I think he is worth a 2nd rounder to mid 3rd rounder. The way I see it, rookies that are considered "guaranteed" stud interior lineman are usually taken in the late 1st and early 2nd rounds. Duke Robinson is considered a mid 1st round prospect. Alex Mack is a late 1st rounder, Mack Unger is an early 2nd rounder.

If you get Waters, you are pretty much guaranteeing a pro bowl caliber player. Which is probably more than you can say about those guys I listed above. Yes he is older and has maybe 3 more quality years left, unless he gets injured. So for that reason he is not quite as valuable as those guys because his long term potential isnt there. But to a team that is "close" to contending, he may be worth as low as a late 2nd rounder.

That is how I think, but I am not a football GM, so who knows how they value these things.

I hope he stays though so we can draft some people and he can teach them how to be pro-bowlers.

If they are going to trade, get a pick. I heard that OT from Baylor was good lookin the combine.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

We already have too many holes to fill on the O-line. Trading Waters just adds another one. This wouldnt make sense.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Exactly! too many hole in our offense and defense is just NOT what we need right now! that's why we traded for cassel and vrabel.

I agree losing waters would hurt us even more. restructure his contract for 3 more years and pay him.

I would rather keep him. But if he is going to be dealt, it had better be for at least a 2nd rd pick so we can replace him with the pick. A 3rd and something is not enough IMO.

I do not think Waters is the type of guy to come out and talk down about anyone around the franchise he is a big part of the community and for haley and pioli to treat their best offensive lineman like that is almost unbelievable. I hope it is not true and he stays on the team no third round pick could replace him right now.
    Last edited by djlewis0714; 03-01-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typos

It pains me to say this but Chiefs aren't going to be a contender next year or in 2010 so if the Bills are willing to trade us a 2nd or some variance of multiple picks I say take it there are moves still to be made in Free Agency that can sure up the line and we can adress line throughout the draft as well.

In-house options exist for the O-line. I think we need at least two starting OL between FA and the draft. I could see a combination of Albert, Niswanger, Herb Taylor, and McIntosh on a starting OL. I'm not sure there are any other players on this team that I could see as a starting OL. In time, perhaps Richardson could become a starting RT, but that's another season or two off, IMO. If they had planned to replace McIntosh at RT, I think they would've released him by now.

If I'm building the line without Waters or any FA's, the line could look like this:

LT-Eugene Monroe/Jason Smith
    LG-Branden Albert
    C-Antoine Caldwell (3rd Rd)
    RG-Rudy Niswanger
    RT-Herb Taylor

Of course, I'd have to see which combination is the best for the team and which combination we could get the best result from as a whole, but I'd be ok with a combination of those players for a season or more. I think we need AT LEAST two outside players for the line this season if we lose Waters.

Is it possible that Pioli dissed Waters on purpose? Knowing Waters could be worth a 2nd rounder to replenish the one spent on the Cassel trade. Is he that shrewd? Like the new lion of the pride is he weeding out the offspring of the old lion?(watching way too much animal planet!!)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast