Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post

a bigger running back needs to be a semi-high priority with jones likely to be done after this year (maybe sooner) and if the nfl switches to an 18 game season, its a necessity to keep charles fresh
    I forgot about that position. Not sure if Thomas Jones will be back, or not. But a young bruiser should be brought in, for the future, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

He made some rookie mistakes. But he was a weapon against the pass and the run.

If you expected better of a rookie at SS, then you are just plain wrong to do so..

100% agree. Eric Berry was not perfect but NO rookie in the history of the NFL at any spot has ever been perfect. He got better as the season went along. He is fine where he is. All this move this guy here and move this guy there would do is set us back yet anther season.

I forgot about that position. Not sure if Thomas Jones will be back, or not. But a young bruiser should be brought in, for the future, either way.
    I hope that Jones is back next year and he can do what he did for this team this year next year.

We do need to get a younger Jones like back this offseason. Jones was seen as a mentor to Charles he could do that with a young power back. That rb and The Chiefs would be better because of it.

1. OC, A creative and aggressive "young" OC.
    2. QB, an NFL starting caliber quarterback
    3. WR, Bowe needs a quality complementary WR
    4. LT, move Albert to Guard
    5. C, Casey is getting old and he's too small
    6. DE, an athletic, havoc-wreaking end to apply pressure

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    100% agree. Eric Berry was not perfect but NO rookie in the history of the NFL at any spot has ever been perfect. He got better as the season went along. He is fine where he is. All this move this guy here and move this guy there would do is set us back yet anther season.
    Moving one or two guys -- perhaps 3 or 4 -- is going to set an entire team back? Just like moving Ryan Lilja from the LG position that he played at Indy to RG with the Chiefs and moving Shaun Smith out to DE when TJ got hurt, right? I am overwhelmed by how these two moves set the Chiefs back in 2010. Get my drift?
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-12-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Moving one or two guys -- perhaps 3 or 4 -- is going to set an entire team back? Just like moving Ryan Lilja from the LG position that he played at Indy to RG with the Chiefs and moving Shaun Smith out to DE when TJ got hurt, right? I am overwhelmed by how these two moves set the Chiefs back in 2010. Get my drift?

Moveing a guy from RG to LG is not a huge deal they are still playing Guard. And really we didn't chose to move Smith we HAD to due to Injury. Moveing a guy due to injury is completly diffrent.

The REASON that it would set us back is Albert has 0 experance at LT in the NFL and Berry has 0 FS in the NFL. College and the NFL are two diffrent things. Otherwise there would be 0 draft bust. And Has it ever occured to you that there are reasons that we don't move them? If it was such a clear upgrade that you suggest don't you think we would have done it?

All this move this guy here and move this guy there would do is set us back yet anther season.
    Isn't that what every team does when the bring in a rookie class and play them?

And isn't that what we did with about every position on the defense this past season?

Moveing a guy from RG to LG is not a huge deal they are still playing Guard. And really we didn't chose to move Smith we HAD to due to Injury. Moveing a guy due to injury is completly diffrent.

The REASON that it would set us back is Albert has 0 experance at LT in the NFL and Berry has 0 FS in the NFL. College and the NFL are two diffrent things. Otherwise there would be 0 draft bust. And Has it ever occured to you that there are reasons that we don't move them? If it was such a clear upgrade that you suggest don't you think we would have done it?

Albert has a lot of NFL experience, and a lot of OG experience.

In Branden Albert's case, it's not like bringing in some rookie, who has never played against the elite of the elite. Nor is it like moving a guy who has never played OG inside.

Albert has shown that he has great skill in run blocking, and struggles with open field pass blocking.

At OG when a pass rusher gets an angle on you to one side, or the other, you have players on that side (OT and DE, or C/OG and DT). There is a barrier on both sides of you, even if that barrier is another defender. Your guy can not go through that barrier unimpeded.

At OT, there is no barrier to the outside. That is why defenses have their best pass rusher going to the outside so much more often than inside.

I would love to see a true LOT brought in this offseason. But I have been waiting for quite a while now.

The REASON that it would set us back is Albert has 0 experance at LG in the NFL and Berry has 0 FS in the NFL. College and the NFL are two diffrent things. Otherwise there would be 0 draft bust. And Has it ever occured to you that there are reasons that we don't move them? If it was such a clear upgrade that you suggest don't you think we would have done it?
    And how much NFL experience did they have at those positions when they came into the NFL to begin with? None. Your arguement doesn't hold an ounce of water and you've already been given examples of guys that made the switch successfully ( John Tait ring a bell ? )

And yes, it has occurred to me many times why they haven't made the move as far as moving Albert to Guard. The only valid reason for it is a syndrome known as "pigheadedness". And the Chiefs O-Line coach did want them to draft Russell Okung and if they had, that would have meant Albert moving to another O-Line position because there is no way that Albert would have beat Okung out at LT.

I would love to see a true LOT brought in this offseason. But I have been waiting for quite a while now.
    Same here. Willie Roaf has been greatly missed & Albert is not a viable replacement for him.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-12-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    And how much NFL experience did they have at those positions when they came into the NFL to begin with? None. Your arguement doesn't hold an ounce of water and you've already been given examples of guys that made the switch successfully ( John Tait ring a bell ? )

And yes, it has occurred to me many times why they haven't made the move as far as moving Albert to Guard. The only valid reason for it is a syndrome known as "pigheadedness". And the Chiefs O-Line coach did want them to draft Russell Okung and if they had, that would have meant Albert moving to another O-Line position because there is no way that Albert would have beat Okung out at LT.

Same here. Willie Roaf has been greatly missed & Albert is not a viable replacement for him.
    Really? The fact that he is getting better is not a vaild reason to keep him there? Not to mention that it would have been easy for Haley and company to move him since he was not drafted and put at LT by them.

A O line coach might have wanted to draft Okung but the fact that we didn't means that more coaches the gm and scouts wanted Berry.

Like I have said before I have no problem moveing Albert IF and ONLY IF we get a clear upgrade or he is beat out for it not before.
    Last edited by matthewschiefs; 01-12-2011 at 10:28 PM.

I think we need to get the spots filled that we are ageing on the o line before albert. Albert will still be there in a few years. Wigman Waters wont we need to get there replacements first.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast