View Poll Results: Which QB would you want?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Geno Smith

24 53.33%
  • Matt Barkley

9 20.00%
  • Mike Glennon

0 0%
  • Tyler Wilson

0 0%
  • Other (Specify)

12 26.67%
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith vs Matt Barkley

Default Geno Smith vs Matt Barkley

At this point, which QB would you rather have KC draft in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Are there any backup QB's worth trading for? Any QB's in the draft worth taking a shot at in the 2nd?
    I wouldn't mind even drafting Aaron Murray in the 1st round. I don't no if anyone else watches or listens to the Dan Patrick show but Tony Dungy today said he would even take Murray first over all.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Ryfo, you're spot on with having to get it right. Is there anyone worthy @ QB for the #1 pick? I've got a not so good sneaky suspicion of G.Smith (i.e. J.Russell? or am I way off?) Barkley, he seems like a smart QB- just doesn't get my "he's the guy" juices boiling.
    I don't agree with the Geno Smith/Russell comparison at all. It's a lazy comparison that is thrust upon many a black QB out of college. I know that's not what you intended, but it's true of many football fans out there.

Read this article about Geno Smith's work ethic: West Virginia Mountaineers quarterback Geno Smith's focus is solely football - ESPN

If you don't want to read the whole article, here's some quotes:

"First of all, Smith is a football nerd. He did exactly what he wanted to do Saturday night. There's nothing he likes to do more than come into the football building and watch video, except maybe to download game or practice video onto his iPad to take home and watch."

"He's a very intelligent kid," [head coach] Holgorsen said of Smith. "His goal in life, his focus in life, is to learn as much about football as he possibly can. He loves to read. He loves to draw. He's got some hobbies. But I guarantee you, when he's reading and drawing, he's still thinking about football."

"Smith's confidence in his mental acuity knows few bounds. His confidence in his physical ability is not the same. In fact, it is why he pushes himself to study.

"If you look at me," he said, "I'm not one of those guys who strike you as an imposing player (West Virginia lists him at 6-foot-3, 214). I honestly don't think I'm that great of a player. There's pretty much a lot of guys out there more talented than I am. But I understand the game and I'm far ahead of my peers when it comes to that. I know defense like a defensive coordinator. I know offense like an offensive coordinator. It puts me levels ahead of those guys, and 90 percent of the game is mental, which allows me to ... end up with these crazy numbers at the end of the game, because I'm always making the right decision.""

Jamarcus Russell is talented, but the work ethic absolutely was not there. In short, he was a lazy quarterback that was interested in taking illegal drugs.

I don't think anyone in this room will argue that Matt Cassel doesn't work harder than anyone else in the building. The problem is his limitations are physical. Picture a Matt Cassel that busts his butt AND can throw a deep/accurate ball, read a defense, and progress through his WR reads.

Geno Smith has the potential to be a great QB in this league. He could also be a bust. But this team cannot afford to NOT take him IMO. If it doesn't work out, well then back to square 1. But we're never going to move on from being an uncompetitive team without a talented quarterback under center.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

Geno Smith has the potential to be a great QB in this league. He could also be a bust. But this team cannot afford to NOT take him IMO. If it doesn't work out, well then back to square 1. But we're never going to move on from being an uncompetitive team without a talented quarterback under center.
    He's 6-5 this year. I no you like him but it's not like he's leading his team in title contention. He might very well be a good QB in the NFL but To say we can't afford to not take him is a big stretch
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    He's 6-5 this year. I no you like him but it's not like he's leading his team in title contention. He might very well be a good QB in the NFL but To say we can't afford to not take him is a big stretch
    But you're simplifying things and just looking at the record. Tim Tebow was 7-4 as a starter last year. Do I want him on my team? Absolutely not.

The Mountaineers are 14th in the nation in scoring w/ 40 points per game. Their defense gives up 40.6 points per game, the 121st worst out of 124 FBS schools.

If your best argument against Geno Smith is his record on a team that is a sieve on defense, then that's more reason we should take him. That's like saying that it's Drew Brees's fault that the Saints are 5-6 this year. Extremely lazy analysis.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.

If Geno smith is such a football nerd then why he is he taunting opposing teams fans, throwing up game signs and such. A student of the game, one would think, would be more humble. And it's not like he was a mizzou qb going to Kansas. Or Ohio st and Michigan it was Texas. Pretty immature if you ask me what's he going to act like when he's a millionaire then.

I still think we trade down if we can, take ryan nassib or landry jones in round 2, take best players available with xtra piks, increase talent level of team for new regime so they can start winning asap
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Our biggest hole is still QB though.
    Nope. Our biggest hole is an inept GM that doesn't know how to build a football team.
    SHUT IT

What other team are in a need of a starting QB through this draft? Jax? Henne has looked good. I would say Philly and Arz but they need O-lineman more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    But you're simplifying things and just looking at the record. Tim Tebow was 7-4 as a starter last year. Do I want him on my team? Absolutely not.

The Mountaineers are 14th in the nation in scoring w/ 40 points per game. Their defense gives up 40.6 points per game, the 121st worst out of 124 FBS schools.

If your best argument against Geno Smith is his record on a team that is a sieve on defense, then that's more reason we should take him. That's like saying that it's Drew Brees's fault that the Saints are 5-6 this year. Extremely lazy analysis.
    Not necessarily true. Last year Baylor was 10-3 at the end of the season. With only one game left they're 6-5. What's the major difference?

I was going to say lets look at Geno Smith's play compared to RG3. Both offenses put up monster #'s and both had D's that were sieve's.

Geno Smith
    Marshall - allows 43.6 ppg, gave up 69
    James Madison - allows 15.5 ppg, gave up 12
    Maryland - allows 27.2 ppg, gave up 21
    Baylor - allows 38.5 ppg, gave up 70
    Texas - allows 28.3 ppg, gave up 45
    Texas Tech - allows 31.8 ppg, gave up 14
    Kansas St - allows 20.8 ppg, gave up 14
    TCU - allows 23 ppg, gave up 38 in OT, 31 in regulation
    Okie St - allows 28.4 ppg, gave up 34
    Oklahoma - allows 24.8 ppg, gave up 49
    Iowa St. - allows 23.3 ppg, gave up 24

7-4....6-1-4 if you want to call the Iowa St. game a tie.

RG3
    TCU - allows 23.2 ppg, gave up 50
    Stephen F. Austin Jacks - allows 24.9 ppg, gave up 48
    Rice - allows 36.1 ppg, gave up 56
    K-State - allows 30.4 ppg, gave up 35
    Iowa St - allows 32.3 ppg, gave up 49
    Texas A&M - allows 31.3 ppg, gave up 28
    Okie St - allows 28.2 ppg, gave up 24
    Missouri - allows 25.6 ppg, gave up 42
    Kansas - allows 47.7 ppg, gave up 31
    Oklahoma - allows 24.8 ppg, gave up 45
    Texas Tech - allows 42.8 ppg, gave up 66
    Texas - allows 23.2 ppg, gave up 48

9-3 in the regular season

So the major difference was their record. Baylor last year was 10-3 and this year they're 6-5. They're basically playing the same people as last year, a few powder puff games and then the Big 12. West Virginia is doing the same this year and they're 6-5.

Both offenses put up monster #'s but their records are horribly different. The big difference is that Baylor had a leader, an "it" guy that lead them to the win in RG3. I just don't see that with Geno Smith.

Not only that but we've seen a player that's got all the NFL tangibles but would throw fits when his team wasn't playing as well as they should be. His name is Josh Freeman and he's been sucking it up after coming in and looking....average his first year.

I'll pass on Geno AND Barkley. I'd rather aim for McCarron (who ISN'T Croyle 2.0) or Tyler Wilson from Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    If Geno smith is such a football nerd then why he is he taunting opposing teams fans, throwing up game signs and such. A student of the game, one would think, would be more humble. And it's not like he was a mizzou qb going to Kansas. Or Ohio st and Michigan it was Texas. Pretty immature if you ask me what's he going to act like when he's a millionaire then.
    We can put these guys up on a pedestal if we want but the bottom line that this is a 22 yr old kid. If you can seriously sit there and tell me that you knew a 22 yr old kid that never did stupid things I've got a shiny new $100 bill here for you.

Not excusing it, just saying young kids do stupid things. Eventually they grow up and grow out of it.

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast