Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Crow

Default Geno Crow

I'm eating it. Still rooting for the kid though. Not like he needed anymore motivation...

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    It's depressing because we are doomed with a qb who has not throw for yards or touchowns in his career. EVER. Although we don't know, facts indicate we are in the same boat we were with Cassel.

Either you think this is the guy for the team or you don't. For once take a stance, what side of the fence are you on?
    When you look at the Facts you don't see Matt Cassel. Unless you only look at the Facts you want to.

FACT Matt Cassel has never had a good year and then improve on that Like Smith has the last couple of years

FACT Matt Cassel has never taken a team to the playoffs an won

FACT Matt Cassel has never taken a team to a confrance title game and had the lead until the kick returner muffed 2 punts in a row.

Alex Smith has done all those things that Matt Cassel has never done.

I choose not to judge a guy before hes played 1 down for us. As I have nothing to base that judgement on. He won't be in the same offense as he has been before. I won't judge the move until I have something to base that judgement on Sorry it's just not fair to judge based on nothing
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    When you look at the Facts you don't see Matt Cassel. Unless you only look at the Facts you want to.

FACT Matt Cassel has never had a good year and then improve on that Like Smith has the last couple of years

FACT Matt Cassel has never taken a team to the playoffs an won

FACT Matt Cassel has never taken a team to a confrance title game and had the lead until the kick returner muffed 2 punts in a row.

Alex Smith has done all those things that Matt Cassel has never done.

I choose not to judge a guy before hes played 1 down for us. As I have nothing to base that judgement on. He won't be in the same offense as he has been before. I won't judge the move until I have something to base that judgement on Sorry it's just not fair to judge based on nothing

There are more similarities than differences. I can also state accomplishments Alex Smith does not have on Matt Cassel.

FACT: Cassel has had two 20 td seasons, Smith has had 0.

FACT: Cassel has played on two 10 win season teams. Smith has not.

FACT: Cassel has had a 3600 yard season, Smith has never come close, not even a 3200 yard season.

Matt Cassel has done all those things Alex Smith has never done. Smith never had 2 consecutive successful seasons, do you know why? Because he was hurt.

It took Alex Smith 6 seasons to win a playoff game. Cassel was only a starter for 4.5 seasons. On top of that you act like one playoff win in 6 seasons is impressive, some sort of big accomplishment that is worthy of being mentioned. Is that what we are going to strive for? 1 playoff win in 6 seasons?

Their career stats are VERY similar, so similar it's scary.

Hey, onto another topic whatever happened to Chief 31?
    Last edited by MyManHali; 04-27-2013 at 05:09 PM.

There are more similarities than differences. I can also state accomplishments Alex Smith does not have on Matt Cassel.

FACT: Cassel has had two 20 td seasons, Smith has had 0.

FACT: Cassel has played on two 10 win season teams. Smith has not.

FACT: Cassel has had a 3600 yard season, Smith has never come close, not even a 3200 yard season.

Matt Cassel has done all those things Alex Smith has never done. Smith never had 2 consecutive successful seasons, do you know why? Because he was hurt.

It took Alex Smith 6 seasons to win a playoff game. Cassel was only a starter for 4.5 seasons. On top of that you act like one playoff win in 6 seasons is impressive, some sort of big accomplishment that is worthy of being mentioned. Is that what we are going to strive for? 1 playoff win in 6 seasons?

Their career stats are VERY similar, so similar it's scary.

Hey, onto another topic whatever happened to Chief 31?
    FACT Matt Cassel's first coach was One of the best in the history of the game Alex Smith got Mike Nolan. Again name me a QB who played well under Mike Nolan I have begged for this over and over. Coaching was a factor in Smith's early struggles. Also look at the talent around Cassel early and What Smith had early. Cassel had Randy Moss his first year playing in the NFL who did Smith have?

The fact is that Cassel and Smith have never been in the same situation. But Smith when he had good coaching did more then Cassel did when he had a good coach/OC.

And I have wondered that about 31 myself Last I knew he was very upset about the way people were treating Cassel
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

FACT Matt Cassel's first coach was One of the best in the history of the game Alex Smith got Mike Nolan. Again name me a QB who played well under Mike Nolan I have begged for this over and over. Coaching was a factor in Smith's early struggles. Also look at the talent around Cassel early and What Smith had early. Cassel had Randy Moss his first year playing in the NFL who did Smith have?

The fact is that Cassel and Smith have never been in the same situation. But Smith when he had good coaching did more then Cassel did when he had a good coach/OC.

And I have wondered that about 31 myself Last I knew he was very upset about the way people were treating Cassel

But even with a stacked team Smith still didn't throw for yards or touchdowns which means he finally found a coach that could mask his weaknesses. Harbaugh designed a simple system for Smith which was to complete short, conservative routes and hand the ball off to Gore the majority of the time. Had Alex Smith been capable you would of thought Harbaugh would turn him lose similar to what they did with Kaepernick, they had the same number of attempts but Kaepernick ran the read option 80 times. That was also Kaepernick's first real half of a year as a starter, and harbaugh STILL put the ball in his hands a lot more than Alex Smith.

But even with a stacked team Smith still didn't throw for yards or touchdowns which means he finally found a coach that could mask his weaknesses. Harbaugh designed a simple system for Smith which was to complete short, conservative routes and hand the ball off to Gore the majority of the time. Had Alex Smith been capable you would of thought Harbaugh would turn him lose similar to what they did with Kaepernick, they had the same number of attempts but Kaepernick ran the read option 80 times. That was also Kaepernick's first real half of a year as a starter, and harbaugh STILL put the ball in his hands a lot more than Alex Smith.
    Kaepernick was a much better fit for Harbaugh's system. That's not to say Alex is bad. Again the game he "got benched" in he was 18-19 232yards 3tds Alex was starting to adjust to Harbaugh's system some this past season he was throwing more 200 yards games more then before and was getting better before he got a concussion and with the new rules regarding concussions he had to sit out Kaepernick got hot. Its happened before sometimes the backup comes in gets hot keeps the job like Kaepernick did and it competley backfires on a team. Smith will no longer be in that system. Reid chose Smith to be his QB Harbaugh didn't there's a difference. Reid choseing Smith means he plans to build a system around Alex Smith. Smith was just there when Harbaugh came in. And at the time was the best option it's like when a team hires a GM. Chances are that GM is going to be makeing a coaching change. Or when a team gets a new owner chances are that owner brings in his own GM and coach. Same with coach. Harbaugh brought in his guy. That's not to say Smith is bad. Smith was still doing pretty well this year. Why ignore that? Does that mean he's going to do well in KC no. But it means there is something you can look at and say maybe this will work out.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Kaepernick was a much better fit for Harbaugh's system. That's not to say Alex is bad. Again the game he "got benched" in he was 18-19 232yards 3tds Alex was starting to adjust to Harbaugh's system some this past season he was throwing more 200 yards games more then before and was getting better before he got a concussion and with the new rules regarding concussions he had to sit out Kaepernick got hot. Its happened before sometimes the backup comes in gets hot keeps the job like Kaepernick did and it competley backfires on a team. Smith will no longer be in that system. Reid chose Smith to be his QB Harbaugh didn't there's a difference. Reid choseing Smith means he plans to build a system around Alex Smith. Smith was just there when Harbaugh came in. And at the time was the best option it's like when a team hires a GM. Chances are that GM is going to be makeing a coaching change. Or when a team gets a new owner chances are that owner brings in his own GM and coach. Same with coach. Harbaugh brought in his guy. That's not to say Smith is bad. Smith was still doing pretty well this year. Why ignore that? Does that mean he's going to do well in KC no. But it means there is something you can look at and say maybe this will work out.

I don't ignore it, I admit he is a good game manager but he fails to throw for yards and touchdowns in every year that he has played including 2012. Breaking the 200 yard mark shouldn't be a goal or accomplishment for a quarterback, but it is for Smith.

i don't know what 49ers "stacked" offensive unit you are talking about. They were a running team. Look at the receivers on his first couple teams. Stacked is an extraordinary stretch. This was the first year they had a decent unit. Now next year San Fran is stacked.

Hali and Matthews, you are both making very good points. I've actually enjoyed reading your debate throughout the season. If my train of thought leans toward one side of the other in (Smith is not the answer) or (Smith hasn't had time and he has great potential) I would have to side with Hali for these reasons.

I understand Hali's point that Smith might not be the answer (He probably isn't IMO). In my own words I view Smith as a guy who IS similar to Cassel in quarterback play. Yes, Smith is a better athlete overall than what Cassel is but how they operate in a game is so similar it's scary. Neither have very strong arms and when they have their "good" games it was because they managed the game perfectly. My concern is that there hasn't been a game manager type of quarterback that has won the superbowl since...Trent Dilfer and before that... The point of rooting for our Chiefs is the hope that they can win a superbowl. There is a STRONG trend that you NEED that strong armed, smart decision making, big play making quarterback to succeed in the league now. It's an air it out league and when your ceiling is around 3500 yards and 20 TD's you won't crack the top 3/4 of the league in quarterback play. Chiefs are due/NEED a qb that can consistently go off for 300 yards and throw 3-4 TD's some weeks. Having a high completion percentage and throwing for 200 yards with 2 TD's leaves ZERO room for error on offense and defense. The big play making ability just isn't there. To compete against the Patriots/Broncos or other high offensive teams we need to have a new school type of offense.

This will be my optimistic post to back up Matthews.

I agree with you that when Smith had some consistency he started to excel. The way Smith's quarterback play excels still isn't what the majority of successful NFL teams are currently looking for. I do like the new regime and think that Andy Reid can work wonders with quarterbacks. I do worry that Reid might get to throw happy when Smith starts a game 8/8 with 75 yards and abandon the run game (It is his MO). That will put the burden on Smith's shoulders to never make a mistake, if you make a mistake as a game manager type of QB it is very hard to win. Smith was our best option this year, he can run a little, and can lead us to more victories than Cassel. Smith can be a greater leader, he's been at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL and showed that he can play his type of game if given the chance. I don't think we'll ever win a Superbowl under Smith and I really question us getting a playoff win under him as well. He will give us the best chance during the regular season but if nothing develops I'm going to HATE to see the STUDS leave just like Tony G had to do to be successful deeper in the playoffs. We have a very talented team, I don't want to see it wasted on a qb that doesn't have a high enough ceiling. I DO trust Reid though, he's very sneaky with quarterbacks!

Matthews, I understand why you defend Cassel but I think that it was his fault that he lost the team. Poor quarterback play and bad leadership, I wouldn't be giving it 100% either. Others played bad around him but when QB's have that issue, it kills morale.

I also have concern on how Smith utilizes his wideouts. He is good at throwing to his TE's (Vernon Davis) but isn't it strange how Crabtree emerged once Kaepernick took over? Just some food for thought.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast