Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp reports

Default Camp reports

I usually look up in the KC star how things are going. I thought I would post this on here for a few of you to read and maybe comment on as I found some of it interesting since I didn't even Know who Agnew was. Looks Like Houston is kicking Fisher's butt...

Rookie Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce settles into a groove
    Updated: 2013-07-29T03:53:25Z
    July 28
    The offense
    Order Reprints
    More NewsDaniel holds for kicks
    Rookie Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce settles into a groove
    Offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz shows off his versatility at Chiefs camp
    Dwayne Bowe back at Chiefs practice after recovering from virus
    Ready for some football? A fan’s guide to training camp with the Chiefs
    Read more ChiefsRookie tight end Travis Kelce appears to be settling into a groove, as he and backup QB Chase Daniel connected for the best offensive play of the day. Daniel lofted a pass along the left sideline that Kelce somehow hauled in over three defenders. The quarterbacks spent much of the day working the middle of the field. Alex Smith found tight end Tony Moeaki wide open. Rookie running back Knile Davis has struggled to hold on to the ball in camp, but showed improvement in this area Sunday. He also showed promise as a runner, exploding through the line on a run to the left and speeding up the sideline untouched. Receiver Jonathan Baldwin dropped a wide-open pass early in the practice but came on strong as the day went on, catching a TD pass over the middle.
    The defense
    The defense spent a healthy portion of practice working on its blitz schemes, and at times it worked, as the pass rush forced the quarterbacks to either miss the intended receiver or take a sack. Linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston led the charge. Hali had a sack early in 11-on-11, while rookie first-round pick Eric Fisher had his hands full with Houston all morning. Though Houston jumped off-sides once during 11-on-11, he twice sped past Fisher during pass protection drills — a teammate even came over and smacked Fisher on the tail to encourage him — before he finally stopped Houston by negating a bull rush. The defensive play of the day came from cornerback Vince Agnew, who made a leaping, one-handed interception on a downfield pass by Ricky Stanzi.
    Injury report
    G Jeff Allen (shoulder), DL Marcus Dixon (hamstring), CB Buddy Jackson (hamstring) and DB Sanders Commings (collarbone), fullback Braden Wilson (hamstring) were out. CB Dunta Robinson left the field midway through practice with a hamstring issue.
    Today’s schedule
    Practice starts at 8:15 a.m. and is free and open to the public. Parking is $5.
    The number
    1 Free-agent Vince Agnew showed some serious skills with his one-handed interception, but Agnew was hardly a ballhawk in college, where he tallied just one interception in four years at Central Michigan.
    | Randy Covitz, rcovitz@kcstar.com, and Terez Paylor, tpaylor@kcstar.com
    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/28...#storylink=cpy

Justin Houston is gonna keep a lot of people's hands full this year. Why is Stanzi still on this roster? Any roster? He couldn't beat out Brady Quinn or Tyler Palko for a spot. Ricky must be a lockerroom favorite or have dirt on Clark Hunt.

I'm really excited about this years team. I'm ready to see our new offense and QB.
    Last edited by Coach; 07-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Justin Houston is gonna keep a lot of people's hands full this year. Why is Stanzi still on this roster? Any roster? He couldn't beat out Brady Quinn or Tyler Palko for a spot. Ricky must be a lockerroom favorite or have dirt on Clark Hunt.

I'm really excited about this years team. I'm ready to see our new offense and QB.

From what I have heard, he is playing 4th string right now so he has to really wow the coaches to beat out Bray. Bray has the potention to be something if Reid can get his head on right. After watching camp last year, there was sessions where the QB would work with Receivers only. The 4th QB would then go off and work with the running backs on handing the ball of etc.... Something a coach could easily do but I guess it still work.

This is good that Fisher is getting this type of work in practice against a Pro-Bowl caliber pass-rusher like Justin Houston. Up in Minnesota last year, Matt Kalil went against Jared Allen on a daily basis & helped Kalil get ready for the regular season. Here's to hoping the same process works for Fisher this year.

Stanzi is clearly looking like another QB draft-bust, which is all the Chiefs have ever had with drafting QB's since 1970. I'm glad they didn't draft any QB's this year and snagged Bray as an undrafted FA. I know a blessing in disguise when I see it.

Also it was reported that Eric Berry has a tweaked hamstring and had to leave practice. They need to give him whatever time he needs to recoup, especially with Sanders Commings having the broken clavicle.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 07-29-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Agreed. But remember with this fanbase you need to give a quarterback atleast 4 seasons with the same coordinator.

Atleast that is what I learned with Matt Cassel.

Look at Travis kelce's videos on you tube that guy is amazing I'm stoked to have him as a chief I think he will be amazing for us even right out the gate. Very physical and athletic

Really liked to read this one.

The moment Chiefs fans held their breath...
    By SAM MELLINGER The Kansas City Star
    Updated: 2013-07-29T15:58:14Z
    July 29
    By SAM MELLINGER
    The Kansas City Star
    ST. JOSEPH — The unofficial time was 9:42 a.m. Monday when the people here held their breath. They’re not used to this tackling stuff, not in training camp anyway, and besides, did it need to be Jamaal Charles? The superstar? The irreplaceable part of this offense, the one thing the Chiefs offense had going for it last year? Training camp tackling used to be, more or less, like two buzzed frat guys meeting up: sort of a hug, wrap up, make ’em know you’re there but don’t go to the ground. That’s how Romeo Crennel did it last year, and Todd Haley before him. High and hard, they called it. No reason to take unnecessary risks.
    Well, we saw how that worked out. There’s no telling how much the reluctance to tackle in training camp had to do with the reluctance to tackle during the regular season, but, well, safe to say it didn’t help.
    So now they’re tackling. Real tackling. There’s nothing here that would draw a penalty or fine from Roger Goodell — they’re teammates, after all — but it’s more than enough that you or me would be feeling it the next day. Hard hits, take-the-guy-to-the-ground kind of stuff.
    Which is how we find Charles on the ground, under some bodies, and the fans who came to watch in the rain holding their breath.
    Charles popped right up. Dusted himself off a bit. High-fived the guy who tackled him. No hard feelings.
    So much different than a year ago.
    To reach Sam Mellinger, call 816-234-4365, send email to smellinger@kcstar.com or follow twitter.com/mellinger. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.
    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/29...#storylink=cpy-chiefs-fans-held-their.html#storylink=cpy

This is encouraging:

Chiefs LB Tamba Hali on his thoughts about Eric Fisher's first week of training camp:

“The guy is good, he can block. I don’t play against him much, but he’s a physical guy when he wants to be. He can finesse you when he wants to. Eric is a good player coming out of college. Every college player has to come in and prove themself, that’s the ground I believe in. That’s how it was when I got here.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...d-f13f9c791c0c

Also, Jeff Allen returned to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Look at Travis kelce's videos on you tube that guy is amazing I'm stoked to have him as a chief I think he will be amazing for us even right out the gate. Very physical and athletic
    You aren't alone in that thought. Some people were up in arms on draft day 2 when the Chiefs took him, but I suspected that the Chiefs would take him as his brother Jason played for Andy Reid in Philly and Travis Kelce was easily in the top 5 of BPA at pick #63. He's already made some impressive plays in camp catching the ball & brother, can he ever block.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 07-30-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Jeff Allen, Eric Berry and other minor injured players returned today.

Safety Eric Berry, who left Monday’s practice with a sore hamstring, is back at practice.
    • Guard Jeff Allen, who injured his shoulder on Saturday, returned to practice.
    • Cornerback Dunta Robinson is practicing after tweaking his hamstring.
    • Cornerback Buddy Jackson is back after a hamstring injury.
    • Defensive lineman Marcus Dixon is back after a hamstring injury.
    • Sanders Commings remains out with an injured collarbone, while fullback Braden Wilson remains out with a hamstring injury.
    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/30...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Agreed. But remember with this fanbase you need to give a quarterback atleast 4 seasons with the same coordinator.

Atleast that is what I learned with Matt Cassel.
    Once again this is your BS verison of what people think

NO ONE ON HERE has EVER said a guy needs 4 years with the same corrdinator what has been said when you have a change every year that is not going to end up well. There's a big difference in the 2
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast