Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An overlooked problem with our offense.

Unhappy An overlooked problem with our offense.

I have seen may reasons offered as to why our O is struggling. But I do not remember this one discussed. We jump around blaming the new scheme, the O-line, the QB, the receivers, the OC, the O-line coach, the play calling, etc. But we should not overlook the fact that this offense is sorely lacking in locker room leadership. We simply do not have motivating veteran players on our Offense. The closest I can think of that should have assumed that role are:

1. Alex Smith- All the talk about his game manager label, added to the fact that he simply distrusts his receivers does not earn him a general's credibility among the rest of the O players.

2. Jamaal Charles- Dude is an awesome RB, who performs well on the field. But I have not detected anything in his demeanor as a star player who should demand perfection from his fellow offense players.

3. Branden Albert- He demanded LT money and showed himself pretty selfish in the off season refusing to accept a move to a more suitable position where he can possibly excel. In the process he has been no more than an average LT delaying Fisher's development.

4. Dwaine Bowe- I was really happy with his never say die attitude during the ugly disaster that was 2012. At times he literally carried the offense on his shoulders last year. This year, after the big contract he seems to have lost his focus and desire to play hard. This is the saddest one of all, because he has the talent and the outspoken personality for the leadership role.

5. (Can't think of any other) :(
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 11-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Yeah....WR is looking like a position we need to draft next year. Between DB, our 1st round pick and our 3rd round pick it's hard to believe we can't come up with a couple of guys that REALLY REALLY REALLY want the damned ball!!!!

If our WRs become a REAL THREAT then the tight ends should be getting 5-7 yards nearly every time they get targeted.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Yeah....WR is looking like a position we need to draft next year. Between DB, our 1st round pick and our 3rd round pick it's hard to believe we can't come up with a couple of guys that REALLY REALLY REALLY want the damned ball!!!!

If our WRs become a REAL THREAT then the tight ends should be getting 5-7 yards nearly every time they get targeted.
    It depends on the number of juniors that are WR's that declare themselves eligible for the draft, but if a majority of them do, then the Chiefs might get one of those guys.

Damn you Pioli/Haley, for gambling on Baldwin in round 1 in 2011 and not considering Randall Cobb in round 2. No that isn't hindsight, as I had Cobb rated as a better football player than Baldwin going into the 2011 draft. Cobb had torn up SEC defenses, repeatedly & could not be covered one-on-one by anybody. Baldwin was NOT Larry Fitzgerald and many had labeled him a diva.

No use crying over spilt milk. Just glad Pioli/Haley are gone and that Dorsey/Reid are running the show. Reid has done WONDERS for the team as an entity and Dorsey is as sharp as a new razor blade. They may not be "perfect" but they are MILES ahead of anything we have had in a long time. Wish they were both in their 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It depends on the number of juniors that are WR's that declare themselves eligible for the draft, but if a majority of them do, then the Chiefs might get one of those guys.

Damn you Pioli/Haley, for gambling on Baldwin in round 1 in 2011 and not considering Randall Cobb in round 2. No that isn't hindsight, as I had Cobb rated as a better football player than Baldwin going into the 2011 draft. Cobb had torn up SEC defenses, repeatedly & could not be covered one-on-one by anybody. Baldwin was NOT Larry Fitzgerald and many had labeled him a diva.
    At that point...WE NEEDED O-LINE BAD. But what did we get? A WR that broke his hand in a fistfight with Thomas Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
    This is on the Sherman fumble, Alex has got to see either bowe or Avery wide open.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I saw that on anther site.

My thoughts are this to me it looks like Alex has already began throwing the ball. The defender on the bottom is already starting to run towards Sherman and it looks like the defender on top is starting to change and go to Sherman as well. I would like to see this play just a tad earlier before I can say how open they were
    Balls still in Alex's hand just, he could have pump faked to Sherman then looked to Bowe/Avery. The issue I have is that if the easy short throw is open he will throw to that receiver usually without looking downfield atall.

stare down the middle, turn and thow to sherman (that's what it looks like to me)

Wish I could replay that in slomo. Somebody was WIDE open on the right. At full speed I just can't tell if Smith was already committed by the time the receiver on the right was wide open.

This is on the Sherman fumble, Alex has got to see either bowe or Avery wide open.
    This cannot be dismissed as a major part of the problem. I have been saying for a long time, Smith performs like Cassel in this area, he does not see the open receiver and is always looking for the dump off short pass. Whether this is a problem with Smith or the coaches, that is unknown at the moment.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post

stare down the middle, turn and thow to sherman (that's what it looks like to me)
    Ill be honest, it is hard to tell exactly what is happening with who because of the size and inability to pause that gif. So, I'm going to play Alex's defense attorney. You mention staring down the middle. He is most likely reading the safeties. Some people coach QBs to look at the defenders, not their WRs. They should know where their WRs are going to be, it is the defenders you need to know about. He looked down the middle, saw the safeties backing up, and must have figured they had the deep route(s) covered. Also, it is possible he turns his head before the WR makes his break to the outside, thereby not seeing that he could be wide open. Also, I will add that in the NFL, those DBs can close on those deep routes quickly making that wide open Route a contested route.

Then again, maybe he froze and just dumped it to Sherman.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post

Sherman is the only option here.

The WR on the right, that everybody seems to think is 'open' is the least open receiver out there. He is double covered, with a corner underneath, and the Safety over the top. There is a tight little spot to throw to, but this guy is hardly 'open'.

Sherman was the right guy for Alex to throw to, but Sherman DIDN'T protect the ball with both hands and coughed it up when he got hit.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast