Thread: D-Line - standing up?

Default D-Line - standing up?

So watching the game tonight, I could not help but notice all 3 d-linemen would basically stand up on the snap and attempt to get their hands on their blocker ( like as if they were pass blocking ), I guess in an attempt to play 2 gap / read & react, albiet in the worse possible way. 3-4 D-linemen play 2 gaps 90% of the time, but normally they still fire out into their guy and still may try to penetrate ( check out Dallas's line, for example ). KC's guys are not doing that and I have to think they are being coached this way for them all to be doing it in unison.

As a Dorsey fan, I can tell you that's not his game, but I don't have to. Is this really what Romeo wants these guys doing? Oh, and good lord, someone sign a NT please!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post
    So watching the game tonight, I could not help but notice all 3 d-linemen would basically stand up on the snap and attempt to get their hands on their blocker ( like as if they were pass blocking ), I guess in an attempt to play 2 gap / read & react, albiet in the worse possible way. 3-4 D-linemen play 2 gaps 90% of the time, but normally they still fire out into their guy and still may try to penetrate ( check out Dallas's line, for example ). KC's guys are not doing that and I have to think they are being coached this way for them all to be doing it in unison.

As a Dorsey fan, I can tell you that's not his game, but I don't have to. Is this really what Romeo wants these guys doing? Oh, and good lord, someone sign a NT please!
    I think it's so that the stay home for the run, since they were so bad last year. While I see the concept, as long as they move blockers back, or at least stay on them, that gives the LBs a chance to make a play.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

My evaluation of the D-line upon watching game second time with DVR.

Kind of standing up just not pushing, they are just letting the O-Line stand there in a clinch with them, they are looking to see what the play is and when the runner gets near em the o-lineman just push em to the side or down. I seen this many times with Hali, Dorsey and Vrabel mostly to Hali.

WE arent flying around making havec, neither is our backfield, the falcons are flying around punching us in the mouth.
    I will tell you this after half way through the first seried Turner was out and the falcons started throwing the ball to TG and others, our D-Line didnt get any better realistically the falcons made some mistakes or didnt execute.
    when redman came in we started getting pressure our 1st against a mix of thier 1st and secong on thier o-line.
    We have IMO a great deal of work to do in the next 4 weeks if we want to be competitive..1st thing we need to do is get some attitude.
    ' I blame haley for the lack of attitude, he seems like he has been mr nice guy this year, maybe he needs to crack the whip..

Both lines are pathetic like last year. Where was the beating they gave towards the end of the year last year?

Look, all these guys are capable of playing the way the are suppose to, we have seen them do it, its not that they can't as more as they just don't want to.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    My evaluation of the D-line upon watching game second time with DVR.

Kind of standing up just not pushing, they are just letting the O-Line stand there in a clinch with them, they are looking to see what the play is and when the runner gets near em the o-lineman just push em to the side or down. I seen this many times with Hali, Dorsey and Vrabel mostly to Hali.

WE arent flying around making havec, neither is our backfield, the falcons are flying around punching us in the mouth.
    I will tell you this after half way through the first seried Turner was out and the falcons started throwing the ball to TG and others, our D-Line didnt get any better realistically the falcons made some mistakes or didnt execute.
    when redman came in we started getting pressure our 1st against a mix of thier 1st and secong on thier o-line.
    We have IMO a great deal of work to do in the next 4 weeks if we want to be competitive..1st thing we need to do is get some attitude.
    ' I blame haley for the lack of attitude, he seems like he has been mr nice guy this year, maybe he needs to crack the whip..
    Well, I don't disagree with Haley needing to "crack the whip"...but if memory is correct, last year when he cracked the whip he was highly criticized for it.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

It just seemed to me that the were all overly concerned with 'catching' their guy to keep them off the LBers and then try to read & react. With all due respect, they appeared very poorly coached. Yeah, a 3-4 is a 2 gap defense for the line, but not at the expense of making plays, yet they almost seemed afraid to; ie coach would chew them. I dunno - if it was just 1 guy, I would say it was the player, but seeing all 3 starters doing it, I have to think the coach needs the whip cracked on him.

Aside from the first defensive series I thought the d-line defended the run better as the first quarter and the half worn on.

Have not been able to catch the game on replay yet, but we did out rush them 130/100yds. pass yds. even at 143/144. but you just cannot give the ball up on your side of the field three times(10 points) and expect good results.They rushed 37 times for a 2.7 yd avg.(they did have a short field) We rushed 28 times for a 4.6 avg. Not liking the sacks, 2 / 13 yds. lost. Arenas broke one for 99!! to get it called back. Pre-season jitters.