Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Trade Idea

Default Crazy Trade Idea

So, with the first wave of free agency almost over, I had an idea for a trade that may help us a lot in the long term, and be relatively reasonable for the trade partner. Hear me out and let me know what you think.

So, reports are that we are trying to trade Cassel instead of cutting him. If I recall correctly, trading him transfers all of his salary (even the dead space) to the trade partner, instead of leaving us with the deadspace. I believe this is a difference of 4 million. This is probably what the Chiefs are hoping for. If I am wrong, please let me know.

So here is my trade idea:

We trade Cassel and B. Albert to the Arizona Cardinals for their 2nd round pick in this years draft (and maybe a conditional late round pick).

Arizona has big holes at QB and OT, and is one of the teams supposedly interested in Cassel.

We dump about 17+mil in cap space, which frees us up to sign a big name CB, an ILB and some depth for the OL.

Our 1st round pick we get Luke Joeckel, and he starts at LT. Our 2nd round pick (from Az) we get Barrett Jones (C/G/T out of the semi-pro team Alabama) and have him compete for RT with Stephenson or LG with Allen. He can also be our backup for every position on the OL. Im not sure of whether he is more likely to go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but he has great value because he has played every position (and has done well at every position) on the OL. From what I saw of Stephenson, I think he can hold down the RT spot quite well for us.

Our OL would look like:

Joeckel, Allen, Hudson, Asamoah, Stephenson with Jones as a backup QB. That seems to be an OL that could dominate for a long period of time.

We would also have the money to sign a couple more big name FAs AND to possibly extend some of our guys whose contracts are set to expire next offseason (McCluster, Arenas, Moeaki, Asamoah and more Im sure). Right now, with all the signings that are official, I believe we are close to hitting the salary cap.

I know Az signed Drew Stanton, but they may still be looking for more QBs to have a legit competition at the position. I think Albert is a good deal for an early 2nd rounder, and could probably even go for a late 1st if it wasnt for how much $$ he supposedly wants. Throw in Cassel, and value-wise this trade makes a lot of sense. Az could re-work Cassel's contract and make it more reasonable.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jap1; 03-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.

I like the idea of trading Cassel and Albert in a package deal. If we couldn't, I'd even be willing to include our own 6th or 7th round draft pick to move Cassel in a trade to get our from under that entire salary. With Stephenson in the fold at OT, I'm ok with trading Albert if it looks like we'll be targeting a LT early in the 1st round. Getting the Cassel/Albert combo off the books essentially resets the Chiefs' free agent approach while only losing 1 starting player. Lose 1 starter and gain appx $17m in cap space... uh, duh!

This FA season is a buyer's market. There are going to be some GREAT values out there over the next couple weeks... especially in the CB market. Having an additional $17M in maneuvering room could go an extremely long way to making this team a contender next season. I love this idea.

Cool that you're thinking like that, and probably a good deal all around, and 17 mil (if that's right) would mean a ton. I never forgot what we gave up for Albert, and that still hurts. I'd be just as happy to keep Albert, Dump Cassel, eat the 4 mil, draft Joeckel, and have an OL that most teams only dream of. We drafted Dorsey, traded Allen to Minn. for a 1st round pick and got Albert. I hated it. We should have just kept Allen and drafted Albert. Was so stupid. So I have a hard time seeing Albert go.

I also love this idea. From the Chiefs standpoint, they are trading Albert for a 2nd rd pick and getting out from under Cassel's dead cap space if we cut him. From Arizona's standpoint try receive a starting LT and a QB for 2nd round pick and some salary. They problem that I see is that Arizona is in cap hell from my understanding. This move would require them to cut Kevin Kolb who they just traded for, but did not perform last year.
    Kolb's cap number is 13.5mm this year I believe. For similar amount you could fill left tackle(Albert) and have potentially a better QB in Cassel.

If you are Cardinals GM, would you rather have Kevin Kolb and the best LT left on the board in the 2nd rd? Or Matt Cassel and Branden Albert on a 1yr deal? This seems close to me. I think if we throw in a 4th or 5th pick it could get done.

Great idea. I'm gonna throw this up on the front page of CC and promote it on Facebook to see if we can make some noise. Crazier things have happened.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-13-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Suggest it to a talking head on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Suggest it to a talking head on twitter
    If I had a twitter account, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I also love this idea. From the Chiefs standpoint, they are trading Albert for a 2nd rd pick and getting out from under Cassel's dead cap space if we cut him. From Arizona's standpoint try receive a starting LT and a QB for 2nd round pick and some salary. They problem that I see is that Arizona is in cap hell from my understanding. This move would require them to cut Kevin Kolb who they just traded for, but did not perform last year.
    Kolb's cap number is 13.5mm this year I believe. For similar amount you could fill left tackle(Albert) and have potentially a better QB in Cassel.

If you are Cardinals GM, would you rather have Kevin Kolb and the best LT left on the board in the 2nd rd? Or Matt Cassel and Branden Albert on a 1yr deal? This seems close to me. I think if we throw in a 4th or 5th pick it could get done.

Great idea. I'm gonna throw this up on the front page of CC and promote it on Facebook to see if we can make some noise. Crazier things have happened.
    According to spotrac.com (which isnt updated for all of the signings of the last couple of days) Az has about 10 mil in cap space right now, Kolb is set to count 13.5 mil against the cap this year. If they were to cut him, they would still owe him 6 mil. That means they would save 7.5 mil by cutting Kolb, which happens to be Cassel's base salary (although I cant imagine them not restructuring him). I imagine Cassel would be restructured for about 2-3 mil/year. That would leave them with 15 mil for Albert plus the rest of their FAs/Rookies.

I like the the idea, if it could be done. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    Cool that you're thinking like that, and probably a good deal all around, and 17 mil (if that's right) would mean a ton. I never forgot what we gave up for Albert, and that still hurts. I'd be just as happy to keep Albert, Dump Cassel, eat the 4 mil, draft Joeckel, and have an OL that most teams only dream of. We drafted Dorsey, traded Allen to Minn. for a 1st round pick and got Albert. I hated it. We should have just kept Allen and drafted Albert. Was so stupid. So I have a hard time seeing Albert go.
    Actually, if they'd kept Allen ( the Chiefs got #17 and a pair of 3rd rounders for Allen ), they would not have drafted Albert at #5. The more likely O-Line candidate at #5 would have been Ryan Clady.

Sounds good to me. But I'm easy going

Anything that has us taking Joeckel in the first round and gives us a second round pick I'm all for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast