Thread: Chiefs on The Clock

Default Chiefs on The Clock

NFL.COM - Chiefs on the Clock
    Some possibilities for the Chiefs in this year's draft.
    Personally I agree that we need a WR to be paired with Dwayne Bowe but a good OLB to be paired with Tamba Hali or an Offensive Lineman to eventually take Casey Weigmann's job would also be a good move.

I don't get much into the Draft, as far as analyzing players, leave that to Pioli, Haley, others...in them I trust, haha. However, I also trust your opinion and analysis Aussie, so...which draftee candidate are you hoping for this year in our first round pick? Whomever you choose as a favorite hopeful Chiefs draftee is who I'll root for too. ;)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I don't get much into the Draft, as far as analyzing players, leave that to Pioli, Haley, others...in them I trust, haha. However, I also trust your opinion and analysis Aussie, so...which draftee candidate are you hoping for this year in our first round pick? Whomever you choose as a favorite hopeful Chiefs draftee is who I'll root for too. ;)
    Well, this year I haven't been as "in depth" with the rookie class as I was last year but I'm honoured that whoever I want drafted, you'll want drafted, thanks. But Ive yet to make a decision on that LOL. Probably a WR or O-lineman. Ill research some possibilities over the next few days ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    NFL.COM - Chiefs on the Clock
    Some possibilities for the Chiefs in this year's draft.
    Personally I agree that we need a WR to be paired with Dwayne Bowe but a good OLB to be paired with Tamba Hali or an Offensive Lineman to eventually take Casey Weigmann's job would also be a good move.
    The need for a WR is the most glaring on the team, from their 2010 season. I would rank it as our #1 team need.

However, I prefer to avoid using our first pick on a WR for a couple of reasons.

Number one, WRs are generally slow to reach their potential, and seem to have a higher bust-rate than most positions. Drafting one, more than likely, does not fill the need for a couple of seasons, if the player ever does produce.

Number two, there seem to be a lot of options at WR available through free agency this offseason. A veteran WR would have a far better chance of filling the team need at WR immediately, and, with a proven track record at the NFL level, is more likely to be a useful player altogether.

So, what I am hoping happens at WR for The Chiefs is that they acquire a younger free agent to play opposite Bowe in 2011. And to pick a young project WR after the first round or three.

Since I see WRs as being so much more "hit and miss" in the draft than most positions, I would prefer to take those risks with less to lose. Meaning a wasted fourth round pick, versus a wasted first round pick.

The position I would most like to see taken in the first round would be OT.

We have issues at both the ROT and the LOT starting spots, with little to no answers for depth.

But most of the site already knows my feelings about drafting a OT in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The need for a WR is the most glaring on the team, from their 2010 season. I would rank it as our #1 team need.

However, I prefer to avoid using our first pick on a WR for a couple of reasons.

Number one, WRs are generally slow to reach their potential, and seem to have a higher bust-rate than most positions. Drafting one, more than likely, does not fill the need for a couple of seasons, if the player ever does produce.

Number two, there seem to be a lot of options at WR available through free agency this offseason. A veteran WR would have a far better chance of filling the team need at WR immediately, and, with a proven track record at the NFL level, is more likely to be a useful player altogether.

So, what I am hoping happens at WR for The Chiefs is that they acquire a younger free agent to play opposite Bowe in 2011. And to pick a young project WR after the first round or three.

Since I see WRs as being so much more "hit and miss" in the draft than most positions, I would prefer to take those risks with less to lose. Meaning a wasted fourth round pick, versus a wasted first round pick.

The position I would most like to see taken in the first round would be OT.

We have issues at both the ROT and the LOT starting spots, with little to no answers for depth.

But most of the site already knows my feelings about drafting a OT in the first.
    Yeah, thats true, and that WOULD be a safer option, so i agree with you on that. And drafting an OL would also help the run game (so we can improve from best in the NFL )

Soooooo, ill have to agree with you on all of that LOL

Think there are two ways we could go 1st round. OL or OLB. I don't think there will be a talented enough WR to warrant a 1st round pick at the 21 spot and all of the top NT prospects have some character issues that I think will keep Pioli away from spending a 1st rounder on.

Here are two Prospects for our 1st round pick that I really like: (Google them and read up if you haven't already)

Nate Solder-OT Colorado
    6'8" 319, 4 years playing experience, 3 years starting LT, Team Captain, Great Work Ethic, versatile (came in as a TE, played in games his Freshman season as a TE then converted to LT his sophmore season and started every game since, Played all but 2 snaps in 3 years, great pass and run blocker, smart player with 3.93 GPA. Could play LT or RT.

Akeem Ayers- OLB UCLA
    6'3" 255lbs, 3 years Experience at starting OLB, Team Captain, played in every game of career at UCLA, Smart (honor roll student), Extremely athletic, Great Pass rusher

Round 2:
    Leonard Hankerson- WR Miami
    6'2" 205 lb Athlete, talked about as "The Next Andre Johnson" when he was recruited to the U. Had a tough Freshman and Sophomore campaings with drops, but broke out his Junior year to lead the team in receptions, yds, and Rec Td's (sounds like d-bowe). Had a recorcord setting Sr. year with 72 Rec 1,156 yds, and 13 TD's all career bests and the 13 TD's set a school record breaking that of a man named Micheal Irvin. Named team MVP in 2010. 4 years playing experience 2.5 years starting.

Round 3:
    Jerrell Powe- NT Ole Miss
    6'2" 331lbs, 3 years exp, played in SEC,run stuffing force at the NT position. One issue that became a non issue was his academic performance early on, later discovered he has dyslexia and with the help of tutors is now on pace to graduate in may. Named team capatin in 2010, 24 years old so may be more mature than other rookies.

Just for those of your who posted on this thread that didn't know alot of prospects names, thought I would name a few that I hope may be chiefs in 2011!