Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Our WR's

Default Our WR's

I have been a fan for at least 20 years...So tell me why we have not had a REAL standout reciever WITH a complimentary #2??

I remember J.J. Birden, Willie Davis, Derrick Alexander and Joe Horn and FEW more. Although Horn was not THE go to guy and Alexander on the tail end of his career.

What about Sylvester Morris? Nothing.

Whoever takes the helm, or stays at the helm, needs to be sure that we get 2 more noteworthy recievers.

Oh..A couple of more things..With TG and DB, that is a great start but we have to have some SPEED to compliment and keep the defense stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    Here's an idea: buncha you guys think ARI's dumb enough to shoot for LJ, they have a grouchy Anquan Boldin, let's do it up. The FA WR's are a pretty shallow pool this year so I'd say grab some guys outta draft: Harvin, Britt, Hay-Bey, Williams, maybe Bardin (he's effin 6-6).
    Arizona's brain trust has been savvy in picking up bargain FAs and making excellent draft picks. They are in the SB. They aren't trading a Pro Bowl WR for LJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Pioli didn't build the Pats by blowing high picks on WRs and QBs. He spent his high picks on OL and front seven. And he'll do that here.

Also I like Monroe to complement Albert for our 1st pick at this point...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Also I like Monroe to complement Albert for our 1st pick at this point...
    Me too. Monroe at LT and Albert at RT is a whole lot better than what we're currently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Tell the truth, I'm looking for a 270+ DE for our line. I like Maybin, Johnson, and Orakpo, but smaller DEs only seem to do well when someone larger is on the other side. We all grew pretty tired last year of watching lighter guys like Turk, Tank, Dorsey, and Hali get blown off the line by 300+ OL. I want a Mario Williams, Dwight Freeney, JA, Seymour, or Aaron Smith on the line. Especially if we plan on the (smaller) Dorsey to be a long term fixture of our DL.
    Orakpo is 3 inches taller and 8 lbs lighter than Freeney. And opposite him is Robert Mathis, who is only about 245 lbs yet actually had more sacks than Freeney this season (11 to 10.5).

I've lost a bit of faith in Orakpo, but I think Maybin could be the real deal. I read that he was only about 225-230 lbs coming into college, so he has the capability to put on size. Scouts Inc. currently has him as the top DE in this class, and most people thought he would stay in school for his senior year. I don't think he would work with last season's scheme, but if we switch to a 3-4 he could totally become our great stand up pass rusher. If we stay in a 4-3, I don't think he fits.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    Here's an idea: buncha you guys think ARI's dumb enough to shoot for LJ, they have a grouchy Anquan Boldin, let's do it up. The FA WR's are a pretty shallow pool this year so I'd say grab some guys outta draft: Harvin, Britt, Hay-Bey, Williams, maybe Bardin (he's effin 6-6).

I'll take Boldin for LJ all day~

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Orakpo is 3 inches taller and 8 lbs lighter than Freeney. And opposite him is Robert Mathis, who is only about 245 lbs yet actually had more sacks than Freeney this season (11 to 10.5).

I've lost a bit of faith in Orakpo, but I think Maybin could be the real deal. I read that he was only about 225-230 lbs coming into college, so he has the capability to put on size. Scouts Inc. currently has him as the top DE in this class, and most people thought he would stay in school for his senior year. I don't think he would work with last season's scheme, but if we switch to a 3-4 he could totally become our great stand up pass rusher. If we stay in a 4-3, I don't think he fits.
    There's no way a 245 lb DE like Maybin works in a 3-4. We'd have to move him to LB (which might actually work really well). Terrell Suggs is too small to play DE in a 3-4, and he's bigger than Maybin. Look at the Pats (Warren and Seymour), Steelers (A. Smith and Keisel), and Ravens (Pryce and Bannan) DEs - they're huge. They're bigger than our current DTs!

Mathis only gets the sacks he does because he has Freeney eating up double teams all game. If you paired Mathis with a small DE, his production would drop precipitously. See Hali, Tamba for reference.

True that Freeney is only 8 lbs heavier, and he's a little shorter even. I may be shorting Orakpo some, simply because I don't trust UT grads in the NFL anymore. We've seen so many can't miss UT players miss this decade. And we've been burned soooo many times on the DL these past three years. I just want a can't-miss prospect like Oher, A. Smith, Monroe, Curry, or (my favorite) Maualuga.

I was making a joke of the situation between Boldin and the staff, since this is a topic about wr's and there's been a topic with at least 6 people who thought Arizona would be willing to trade for him, it was conventional.

I'm not suggesting that we shoot for all the WR's I listed either, but in the draft we should be willing to draft 1 or 2. There's seven rounds of fun, so let's not get too bland out on just grabbing OL, DE, and LB's especially when there's an enormous FA pool with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    There's no way a 245 lb DE like Maybin works in a 3-4. We'd have to move him to LB (which might actually work really well). Terrell Suggs is too small to play DE in a 3-4, and he's bigger than Maybin. Look at the Pats (Warren and Seymour), Steelers (A. Smith and Keisel), and Ravens (Pryce and Bannan) DEs - they're huge. They're bigger than our current DTs!
    That's why I said he'd be a great stand up pass rusher in a 3-4, similar to the roles Ware, Harrison, and Merriman play for their respective teams. His speed and ability to sack the QB are undeniable. This scouting report from 3 days ago says that he could be a future NFL sacks leader.

Aaron Maybin Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

I really want to switch to a 3-4 at this point. It seems to be the sexy thing to do these days and the best scheme for getting consistent pressure on the QB. Obviously personnel is an issue at this point, but if Dorsey could make the move to 3-4 DE and we can sign a true NT I think it could work. I realize Dorsey's length isn't ideal for a 3-4 DE, but I believe with the right coaching he can do it well. I also believe that Maybin is a double digit sack guy as a 3-4 OLB.

One huge advantage is that quality 3-4 personnel is MUCH easier and cheaper to acquire than 4-3. The most difficult piece is getting a great NT to anchor it.
    Last edited by yashi; 01-21-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Without a doubt, there are several areas that need addressed and concerning WR's, I do not think that using our 1rst pick for one is wise.

Go to FA and pick up a very good reciever to compliment Bowe. This would push him to perform and have some veteran leadership. TJ Houshmenuada would be a very good compliment and there are others that will be available as well.

Again, why do we ALWAYS ignore our WR corp?

When Vermeil was here and we scored a lot of points, yes we had a better line and we had a running game as well. The O-line also needs time to GEL. Any team will attest to that. If the entire line is on a constant shuffle from year to year, what do you expect?

As it stands, we really do not have a reciever that pulls multiple player coverage.

We need some speed with hands to compliment Bowe's size.

RB's, LB's and Linemen are a dime a dozen as well if you have enough scouting talent to notice them and use the right scheme to accentuate their strong points.

HELLO PEOPLE. Who gives a sh!t about wr's if there is nobody upright to deliver the ball to them.
    Or that we currently field the leagues 31st ranked defense.
    Its all about priorities.
    And its all about beer. I think I'll have 1 or 12 right now.
    SHUT IT

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast