Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JEEZ! We are being decimated in free agency!

Default JEEZ! We are being decimated in free agency!

Can somebody please find a positive spin to put on this? I'm not too happy right now. :(

Let me ask you guys/girls this question. Aside from Alex Smith how many "Big names" did we get from FA last year? Not very many! Our Rookies did one helluva job here in KC because Dorsey knows how to spot talent! All of our Impact players are still here and we are about to show them donks that you can't buy championships

I do think the Chiefs are building this team the right way. I'm much more inclined to trust Dorsey and Reid as talent evaluators than Pioli/Haley.... primarily because they aren't a couple douchebags.

A lot of truth in what you say Justin.

I suppose that the traditional pattern when a team gets a new GM and coach at the same time is to pretty much blow the team up and start from scratch. And Reid/Dorsey didn't do that. They worked with what we had, added some free agents to fill some gaps and gave us one hell of a fun year. Now we are losing a lot of free agents which is not surprising given our turnaround and the number of Pro Bowlers we had. But given the game our backups had against San Diego I suspect that our free agent losses won't hurt as all that much. And with the compensatory picks we will get for the 2015 draft I suspect we are going to have a very good and young team for the last half of this decade.

I hate seeing a lot of these free agents go, but from the point of view of building a team that could potentially be a decade long powerhouse It's probably for the best.

I just wish like hell that we could have put our playoff curse to bed before we lost so many free agents.

Absolute F so far!!! Not even trying to get better!!!

The best news is that the Chiefs didn't overpay to keep any of these guys. Lost some decent players, sure, but they're replaceable. We basically don't have a guard to replace Asamoah/Shwartz and it's tough to say what they'll do for TJax. There's a full draft ahead though, and the compensatory picks we'll get next year for not re-signing these guys? Pretty huge. Probably a 3/4 for Albert, a 4/5 for Jackson and then some late round picks for Schwartz and McCluster.

This is basically what teams like NE and GB do every year. Hell toss Baltimore in there. They're not out there making splashy signings. They're finding value late in the FA process and nailing their drafts. Oh, and they're getting compensatory picks for the guys they let walk...i.e. more shots and landing good players in the draft.

Personally, I'm happy that the Chiefs finally have this mentality, now it's up to Dorsey to bring in some cheap talent, b/c anyone you take in the draft is going to be a pretty friendly contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Let me ask you guys/girls this question. Aside from Alex Smith how many "Big names" did we get from FA last year? ...
    Alex wasn't a free agent. We traded draft picks and picked up his contract.

If you look at the early FA signings, most of these guys are getting way overpaid. Good for them, bad for the teams that sign them. I heard a stat that none of the top free agents from last year were in the top 10 in receptions, rec yds, rushing yds, TDs, tackles, sacks, or interceptions. NONE of them! You get the best value from the 2nd tier FAs and from the early rounds of the draft. I'm glad the Chiefs aren't blowing what little cap space they have on 1 or two big names.

Our offense was very good the last 7 games of the season and our defense was good before Houston and Hali got hurt. We aren't in that bad of shape. Losing Scwartz hurts. I thought he could be kept relatively cheaply, but he shouldn't be too hard to replace. TJ was decent but not worth $5 million per year. This looks like a deep draft for OL and DL positions and there are still a LOT of good FA on the market.

Be patient, Chiefs fans. Dorsey and Reid are doing the right thing. 2-14 two seasons ago. 11-5 last year. Give them a chance.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
    Don't like being negative but there is absolutely no chance we are winning the west next year, the moves Denver have made they will walk the division.
    I have seen teams that spend a ton of money on players fail more times than succeed, plus they are one injury away from being an over paid bust of a team. Don't qive the Donkies the Super Bowl trophy before even playing a game in during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Don't qive the Donkies the Super Bowl trophy before even playing a game in during the season.
    Good point! A lot of people did that last year and look how that turned out for the donks. Kind of got their butts handed to them IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Good point! A lot of people did that last year and look how that turned out for the donks. Kind of got their butts handed to them IIRC.
    The donks are only adding defense. As good as Forehead is, he loses every game when he is under pressure. Look at that laughingstock of a Super Bowl performance. They can be beat and the chiefs can do it

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    The donks are only adding defense. As good as Forehead is, he loses every game when he is under pressure. Look at that laughingstock of a Super Bowl performance. They can be beat and the chiefs can do it
    Not like its a team game or anything, Defense wasn't doing anything that game to even make it a game as well. Defense was their weakness. Manning only has 3 years (tops) left. They are in a win now mentality, which isn't bad because they know they can get to the super bowl. Their biggest threat in the AFC is New England. Right now, Denver is taking the west, but that can change come december.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast