Default DeSean Jackson?

Published: March 18, 2014 at 05:27 p.m.
    Updated: March 18, 2014 at 05:59 p.m.
    Report: DeSean Jackson draws Patriots, 49ers' interest

Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer

2013: Best of DeSean Jackson
    This didn't take long to escalate.

Mere hours after we pointed out that recent trade speculation isn't sitting well with DeSean Jackson, a report has surfaced that the Philadelphia Eagles are listening to offers for the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

Citing a league source, CSN Philly's Derrick Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking at least a third-round draft pick "and potentially more" in return for Jackson. The team has already heard from the San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots, per Gunn.

The 49ers are an interesting match, as they are desperate for a speed element in the passing game and Jackson played collegiately in the Bay Area at Cal.

Why would a team favored to win the NFC East and contend for a Super Bowl appearance be willing to trade its No. 1 receiver and biggest mismatch in the passing game?

Pro Bowl Can't-Miss Play: Luck-y flea-flicker
    Jackson and coach Chip Kelly got off to a rocky start last offseason. There has been mounting speculation that the high-maintenance receiver is not a fit for the culture Kelly wants to instill.

We suspect the braintrust took an awfully dim view of Jackson's public plea for more money in January, less than two seasons after he was awarded a five-year, $48.5 million contract coming off a disappointing campaign.

Even with Jackson's unique talent, that perceived me-first attitude and a top-10 salary at wide receiver will challenge the Eagles' efforts to get fair value in a trade. If they decide to pull the trigger, it makes sense to wait until the weekend of the 2014 NFL Draft to see if they can lasso a replacement playmaker for Nick Foles.

The "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the latest free agency moves and highlights a few under-the-radar signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    He's vastly overrated and has been a pain his entire career. Why in the world would you take on his contract and give up a draft pick when you are short one already in a WR rich draft? No thanks!
    Because he's proven. Obviously since we had a non inked deal with Sanders the chiefs are looking for a veteran. Well stuff hit the fan with that and now this opportunity arises. I'm a firm believer in fate, everything happens for a reason. The stars just aligned on this and I'm pretty sure we could make this happen.

The Chiefs have roughly $5.2 million in cap space and DeSean is getting $10.5 million per year. To sign him and still have enough money to pay our draft picks, we would have to free up over $6 million and we would STILL be up against the cap. Who would you cut to free up that much money?

A first or 3rd round pick could be almost as good and a lot cheaper, plus we wouldn't have to give up another very good player or two to make it happen. DeSean may be worth the money, but it is money that we don't have. I don't see a good way to make it work.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Too expensive a proposition. The Chiefs have no choice but to pass on Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Because he's proven. Obviously since we had a non inked deal with Sanders the chiefs are looking for a veteran. Well stuff hit the fan with that and now this opportunity arises. I'm a firm believer in fate, everything happens for a reason. The stars just aligned on this and I'm pretty sure we could make this happen.
    Yeah a proven idiot. The guy signed a $47M deal one year and wanted to renegotiate it the next. He's a "me player" and the Chiefs do not need that. Even as goofy and downright stupid Dwayne Bowe can be, he's a team first guy. Sounds like character is high on Dorsey's priorities. Jackson has little.

It's moot without serious salary manipulation of several contracts including Jackson's. KC can't afford him. NBD. Jackson may produce stats, but he isn't a winner.

Even if he were a saint, the Chiefs are not in a position where throwing a ton of money and draft picks at a player is prudent. It doesn't push them over the top. Last year was an aberration fueled by a soft schedule. This season could be a rude awakening for many fans.
    Last edited by Mongo; 03-19-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Still some in tank but he don't get out of Philly

I like Jackson, but think we're better off money-wise by sticking to this year's WR deep draft class. Also want to see what Hemmingway and Jenkins can do after an off-season after getting their feet wet in Reid's offense. Both were making big improvements towards the end of last season.

apparently there is a "done deal" for a trade, but it's not saying who. Wouldn't mind him, but I have a feeling he'd be too expensive honestly and he's not really worth as much as he will ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Chigurh_KC View Post
    apparently there is a "done deal" for a trade, but it's not saying who. Wouldn't mind him, but I have a feeling he'd be too expensive honestly and he's not really worth as much as he will ask for.
    Patriots, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Patriots, perhaps?
    maybe, perhaps Carolina, they have 0 WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    maybe, perhaps Carolina, they have 0 WRs.
    I think their cap is in worse shape than KC's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast