Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of KC hosting a Superbowl?

Default Possibility of KC hosting a Superbowl?

Currently, I'm in Dallas for a few weeks and this city will host Superbowl 45 in Feb 2011 and will be the first time that DFW hosts a Superbowl. (ofc talk of the town/ESPN is how the Cowboys are choking big time, unlikely to make it to become first team in NFL history to play superbowl in its home stadium, but thats another issue)

So was looking at future Superbowl hosting cities 46 is IND, 47 is in NOLA, 48 is in some stadium in NJ, which is a completely open stadium.

I remember KC voters turning down some tax increase to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead, which according to Wikipedia, NFL was going to award Superbowl 49 in 2015 to KC provided it had a roof!

So is there still plans to try to put up a roof on Arrowhead? Or how likely is NFL willing to host a Superbowl in a fully open stadium?

Would be totally awesome to see Superbowl come to KC...and by 2015 hopefully our team will have matured and be considered as much of a Superbowl contender as Steelers/Colts/Pats/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    THe last word I had heard was that no Stadium that could possibly have inclimate whether conditions would host a Superbowl. That meant all northern cities, unless they were a dome.

Then they announced the game will be played in New Jersey and then they said they will do it on a case-by-case basis. They said that consideration on who would get a bowl game would be based on the infrastructure in the city.

I kind of took that to mean that Fly-over cities need not apply.
    Case by case means who has the most political pull inside of the NFL. The New Jersey Super Bowl is in a stadium that is host to two NFL franchises. Personally I think it sucks that they did away with the "no Stadium that could possibly have in-climate whether conditions would host a Superbowl."

When I watch a Super Bowl I want both teams to be fighting each and not the weather. Such a game skews towards a cold weather team if it goes up against a warm weather team. That kind of does away with the idea of the game being played in a neutral site if both a warm weather team and a cold weather team meat in a cold weather Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltWalt View Post
    Case by case means who has the most political pull inside of the NFL. The New Jersey Super Bowl is in a stadium that is host to two NFL franchises. Personally I think it sucks that they did away with the "no Stadium that could possibly have in-climate whether conditions would host a Superbowl."

Alright, but isn't that part of the game and how so many games are decided during each and every season. Darn... we gotta show up in your stadium or Miami's hot weather stadium, where's the Johnny Fairplay in that?
    Last edited by KristofLaw; 10-25-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: sorry had to edit
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

if im shelling out all that dough to go to a superbowl, I dont want to be freezing snowed on or rained on.. If the chiefs are playing..i dont care what the weather is im there!!

I think playing in the heat is just as difficult as playing in the cold. Ask a lineman if he would rather play in 100 degree weather or 60 degree weather. Anyone who is too cold to watch the SuperBowl outdoors can watch it from home.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltWalt View Post

When I watch a Super Bowl I want both teams to be fighting each and not the weather. Such a game skews towards a cold weather team if it goes up against a warm weather team. That kind of does away with the idea of the game being played in a neutral site if both a warm weather team and a cold weather team meat in a cold weather Super Bowl.
    I see your point, but the reality is that unless it is a dome, then weather can always play a factor. The warmer weather in San Diego in February is not so hot that it would be a hindrance, but at the same time, any stadium, including Qualcomm is subject to rain, and that has an impact on the game too. It leans the outcome of the game on teams who play in rainy conditions more often than a team like say the 49ers, or some of the East coast teams.

We are never going to completely take weather out of the equation, and I really don't think that is why the NFL have instituted the policy. The real policy has more to do with the comfort of the fans paying thousands for a ticket.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

It will never happen. The NFL will not host a Super Bowl in an open, cold weather venue.

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    I don't know what the remaining odds are to host the big game. But I do think the NFL should realize well over half their fans live in areas which are accustomed to winter weather.
    Fans that go to the superbowl, or not the normal NFL fan. The superbowl, is a celebrity shoot, and those are the fans who are custom to the box suites with heaters.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 10-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    It will never happen. The NFL will not host a Super Bowl in an open, cold weather venue.
    In all fairness they are, the stadium in New Jersey that got awarded 2012 is cold and uncovered.

Again, it is a case by case situation and no cold weathered city not named New York will get the game unless it is a dome.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    In all fairness they are, the stadium in New Jersey that got awarded 2012 is cold and uncovered.

Again, it is a case by case situation and no cold weathered city not named New York will get the game unless it is a dome.
    True; I stand corrected.

I would say that weather is a part of football and, as such, should be a part of the championship game.

But I definitely see the point in wanting the teams to compete against each other, on even ground.

Basically, if they were to change it, then I'd be good with that. And if they weren't, then that works just as well for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast