Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Players Union decertifies

Default Players Union decertifies

Per Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL insider.

Players union has filed decertification papers in Minneapolis court.

Peaceful renegotiation of new CBA is now a thing of the past. The courts will decide, and there may be no football this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Here is a copy of the offer the owners made to the players. They offered to meet the players halfway, but the players union walked away.

1.***** We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the Union’s proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).
    2.***** An entry level compensation system based on the Union’s “rookie cap” proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs.* Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today.* Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.
    3.***** A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player’s salary for the contract year after his injury – the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multi-year injury guarantee.
    4.***** Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by
    a.***** Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10, and limiting on-field practice time and contact;
    b.***** Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season; and
    c.****** Increasing number of days off for players.
    More after the jump.
    5.***** Commit that any change to an 18-game season will be made only by agreement and that the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be played under the current 16-game format.
    6.***** Owner funding of $82 million in 2011-12 to support additional benefits to former players, which would increase retirement benefits for more than 2000 former players by nearly 60 percent.
    7.***** Offer current players the opportunity to remain in the player medical plan for life.
    8.***** Third party arbitration for appeals in the drug and steroid programs.
    9.***** Improvements in the Mackey plan, disability plan, and degree completion bonus program.
    10.* A per-club cash minimum spend of 90 percent of the salary cap over three seasons.
    I thought that this was a pretty fair offer from the owners. Yes the owners would have taken money from the players side but they would have given them more off days. You work less you get paid less. It's just how the world works.

Not to mention they would have gotten some of the health benfits they claimed this was all about.I would have taken this offer. It's not a bad offer from the owners.

I have no care for the members of the NFLPA, they did not come to the table in true faith. Prove me wrong.

Over inflated wages in any business cause inflation to the end user!
    I would love to have a brand new car, but I can not afford one, and if I could, the insurance would be unaffordable, why does a new car cost so much? because of the cost to produce it? If unions did not affect the cost of delivery of good to the store I work at then maybe my income would be better than it is. . I am just Pissed about all of this! I have no respect for the NFLPA! Why, Why should I to my opinion they never negotiated in good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Over inflated wages in any business cause inflation to the end user!
    I would love to have a brand new car, but I can not afford one, and if I could, the insurance would be unaffordable, why does a new car cost so much? because of the cost to produce it? If unions did not affect the cost of delivery of good to the store I work at then maybe my income would be better than it is. . I am just Pissed about all of this! I have no respect for the NFLPA! Why, Why should I to my opinion they never negotiated in good faith.
    How can you be so sure that the owners negociated in good faith? Negociating doesn't mean putting a take it or leave it offer on the table. That isn't negociating, that's an ultimatem. Also, your anology about the car would be apt, if any cars were actually built in America, anymore. Detroit is a ghost town. My father's company relocated their manufacturing plant to Mexico. Why? Because they can work the laborers 16 hours a day and pay them literally $2.00 an hour. This isn't about viability, this is about greed. Sad to say, Ross Perot was quite right when he talked about NAFTA, tarriffs and the sound of jobs being sucked out of America.

Regardless, I'm not defending the NFLPA, except to say that I think that both side are equally greedy and could care less about us - except to the extent the we line their pockets. Although people are saying lots of people want to play football, it isn't the players themselves who offered them millions of dollars. I am sure that NFLPA would be quite happy with no salary cap and other concessions they have made over the years.

Really, just watching a lot of greedy millionaires hurt the lives of everyday Americans. What else is new? Anyone who thinks anything else, is a little delusional, IMO.
    Last edited by wilqb16; 03-14-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    How can you be so sure that the owners negociated in good faith? Negociating doesn't mean putting a take it or leave it offer on the table. That isn't negociating, that's an ultimatem. Also, your anology about the car would be apt, if any cars were actually built in America, anymore. Detroit is a ghost town. My father's company relocated their manufacturing plant to Mexico. Why? Because they can work the laborers 16 hours a day and pay them literally $2.00 an hour. This isn't about viability, this is about greed. Sad to say, Ross Perot was quite right when he talked about NAFTA, tarriffs and the sound of jobs being sucked out of America.

Regardless, I'm not defending the NFLPA, except to say that I think that both side are equally greedy and could care less about us - except to the extent the we line their pockets. Although people are saying lots of people want to play football, it isn't the players themselves who offered them millions of dollars. I am sure that NFLPA would be quite happy with no salary cap and other concessions they have made over the years.

Really, just watching a lot of greedy millionaires hurt the lives of everyday Americans. What else is new? Anyone who thinks anything else, is a little delusional, IMO.
    I am very sure that the former nflpa would love to have a no salary cap! There agents will be all in favor of it.

I am very sure that the former nflpa would love to have a no salary cap! There agents will be all in favor of it.
    Interesting thought I had was what if the players banded together and formed their own league? What then, would anyone follow NFL teams with clearly inferior talent? What portion of its share would the NFL stand to lose? At the very least, the owners would stand to lose their virual monopoly.

Not saying that this is going to happen, but I think it shows that both sides have something to bring to the table.

If the NFL tried to lock out the players and break the union, I could see this happening, or the UFL getting much bigger and better much more quickly (as for me, I can't decide if I am a Las Vegas Locomotives fan or San Francisco Bobcats guy...)

Interesting thought I had was what if the players banded together and formed their own league? What then, would anyone follow NFL teams with clearly inferior talent? What portion of its share would the NFL stand to lose? At the very least, the owners would stand to lose their virual monopoly.

Not saying that this is going to happen, but I think it shows that both sides have something to bring to the table.

If the NFL tried to lock out the players and break the union, I could see this happening, or the UFL getting much bigger and better much more quickly (as for me, I can't decide if I am a Las Vegas Locomotives fan or San Francisco Bobcats guy...)
    Where would they play the games?

Where would they play the games?
    Probably college stadiums or where-ever they could. Probably in any city without an NFL team. Realistically, if the NFL tried to break the union, by locking out the players, you would probably see an exodus to Canada and or the UFL. Don't forget, that the new USFL is starting up in 2012, too.

Again, I don't see this happening. Just kind of making the point that the owners and the players need each other because only together can they maximize and fullfill their greedy aspirations.

Frankly, they are like two lions fighting over a giant dead carcass.
    Last edited by wilqb16; 03-14-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Probably college stadiums or where-ever they could. Probably in any city without an NFL team. Realistically, if the NFL tried to break the union, by locking out the players, you would probably see an exodus to Canada and or the UFL. Don't forget, that the new USFL is starting up in 2012, too.

Again, I don't see this happening. Just kind of making the point that the owners and the players need each other because only together can they maximize and fullfill their greedy aspirations.

Frankly, they are like two lions fighting over a giant carcass.
    College Stadiums are not that easy to book, you have to plan around, and then who gets what from concessions, who pays for clean up of the stadium?
    You are wrong, the owners do not need the current nfpa players! There is plenty of football players that want a opportunity to play in the NFL. The biggest mistake anybody makes is that they can not be replaced.
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 03-14-2011 at 02:13 AM.

College Stadiums are not that easy to book, you have to plan around, and then who gets what from concessions, who pays for clean up of the stadium?
    You are wrong, the owners do not need the current nfpa players! There is plenty of football players that want a opportunity to play in the NFL. The biggest mistake anybody makes is that they can not be replaced.
    I disagree.

Let's say that the owners did break the NFLPA and hired scabs. If the players had no where to go, do you think they would just get jobs at Taco Bell? No, in time they would leave the union and return to play with NFL. If you recall, when the NFL hired scabs during the last strike, a number of players crossed the picket lines to play.

No way to stop this. But then what happens, teams start fighting for better players and paying more and more money. Without a CBA, there is no cap. Do you really think the owners would stick together when Tom Brady wants to come back? How do you keep the Patriots from allowing him back?

Problem is that the NFL needs a CBA as much as the players do...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast