Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preseason thoughts

Default Preseason thoughts

We have now seen a preseason with this team and these are the things that Have stuck out for me.

First the good

The run game looks like the best area of the team getting Charles back and he has looked like Charles something that we really missed a season ago. The Run game will win us some games this year.

I think the coaching staff got the qb spot right. Cassel has to me clearly looked like the number 1 Quinn clearly the 2. The QB spot could of course be better but I think Cassel is going to be Cassel of 2010. He won't do a ton that wins us the games as I said the run game will do that. But for the most part I don't see him doing a lot to lose the games either.

And now for the not so good.

I think the thing that stands out the most is that the biggest area of need from this team has moved away from O line to the defensive secondary. They need a lot of help there. Flowers coming back will help that but they need depth. The biggest hope for me right now is that some other team is forced to cut a guy who we can pick up and help with this problem because right now that is our biggest worry.

Depth is still a issue with this team overall. If Cassel were to go down I think that would hurt. If we get a couple of guys hurt on the o line I think that will hurt big time. I think the same can be said about most other teams so it's not a big issue but I think it's more important for the Chiefs to keep certain guys healthy then for others. If we don't have the injuries pile up like they did a season ago I think we will have a pretty good season and like last year be in the race till the end.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

MMO--> if we can run, then we can pass via Play Action... and honestly, there are teams that can't accomplish that, so it's not really a bad thing.
    I'm sure we were pretty vanilla in both sides of the ball, but the fact remains that offseason screw ups may hurt us more than (they) we realize(d) until Week 1 when "oh sheet!!!" moments strike the front office.

And as a Cassel backer, PA pass is really his strongest suit... that and the "dink and dunk" short yardage style play is his bread and butter, we don't need that "big play threat", we have 3 to 5 "reliable play threats" that can average 4 yards out in a formation, we can keep the ball moving, which as we all know, keeps the other offense off the field, eases the burden to our D...

and helps us win games.

Them 50 yard bombs look amazing and get the blood flowing of everyone watching, but keeping control of a game helps you WIN.

We wanna win the games, and I don't know that Shaun Smith gives us anything we don't have. He has more of an "in your face" attitude, and I think he could actually help along the younger guys, but hey we have a "youngest NFL roster" title to watch out for, and adding him is going to ruin that LOL

He may be the best thing for Poe, give him a fiery guy in his ear to get him some feedback, get him fired up, it very well could be worth a shot. Cut Stanzi and add S. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I think we can easily see the management made a mistake by letting Carr walk and franchising Bowe.
    +1. We had a great chemistry going on with our secondary. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And we "fixed" it.

It's not so much that I had a problem franchising Bowe, but not at the cost of screwing with our secondary. The front office turned it into a "Must lose one to keep the other" scenario...Only to come this >< close to losing both. Dallas picked up a really good CB.

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    I agree but it would be nice if we had a qb that could really stretch the field...having a run game and being able to fire it down field can really hurt a defense..all it took was that one big play to send us packing for the season.
    Yea, big plays need to happen, it is only a matter of time until opposing D realizes all your plays are all within a 15 yard maximum range, and then they clog it up for you..usually week 2 LOL

whats that overused phrase, tv rides it like it's ooooh yea, Keep the defense honest lol we need to stretch it more often, to try to keep them honest. we can basically keep a defense honest, but not quite 100%. if we could do everything (on paper at least) that we should be able to do with weapons available, and then have 1 or 2 that can stretch the field, the Chiefs could seriously worry defensive coordinators into the ground I think.
    Granted, that would be perfect scenario, and nothing perfect in this world, but overall I think the offense, generally, has quite a lot to work with, and hopefully it's enough to maybe hit that 10 game "into the playoffs" magic number that coaches seem to harp on so much

If we had been able to get a long term deal done with Bowe, then I would have disagreed and said that we made the right move for the long term. Snce now we only have him for the year (My gut tells me hes not coming back) it is sounding like less of a good decision.

Bowe does bring a lot more value than just as a WR. He has a great reputation as a great blocker, which helps to open up the outside running lanes for JC and Hillis. I hope once the season starts Routt will step up and we won't be regretting the Bowe/Carr situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post

I am glad I'm not the only one who said this...since they did it.
    On top of loading up with other WR, we get a project from Oakland with the history of collecting laundry! Aaaargh!!!
    *I deleted my diatribe about Stanzi, Carr, and Bowe lol you all wouldn't wanna read it from a newb anyway*

I want to get one thing out there that a lot of people seem to be forgetting. Routt had good years all the way up until last year when he had a season high penalty total. Every year up to that he was playing a #2 CB role. So what changed last year? He played in the #1 CB role. We aren't asking Routt to play in a #1 role. There will be learning curves but Routt will be just fine.

Carr wanted to get paid, plain and simple. For those that are still complaining about him leaving if we'd have lost Bowe instead of Carr we'd be complaining about that. Haters wanna hate.

Looking at last year the bottom line is that we needed more firepower on offense than defense. So that's the decision we made. The defense is banged up right now but when everyone heal's up things are going to be just fine. Let's get into the actual season before we lament the loss of Carr and how Pioli made the wrong decision.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I want to get one thing out there that a lot of people seem to be forgetting. Routt had good years all the way up until last year when he had a season high penalty total. Every year up to that he was playing a #2 CB role. So what changed last year? He played in the #1 CB role. We aren't asking Routt to play in a #1 role. There will be learning curves but Routt will be just fine.

Carr wanted to get paid, plain and simple. For those that are still complaining about him leaving if we'd have lost Bowe instead of Carr we'd be complaining about that. Haters wanna hate.

Looking at last year the bottom line is that we needed more firepower on offense than defense. So that's the decision we made. The defense is banged up right now but when everyone heal's up things are going to be just fine. Let's get into the actual season before we lament the loss of Carr and how Pioli made the wrong decision.
    THIS THIS THIS AND MORE THIS

Routt is not in anyway our number 1 Cb. He's not being asked to be so. We have not seen him in a game when Flowers was playing. That's going to help our Cbs.

Carr is being overhyped by some. He was a good number 2 cb. But he wasn't our number 1. He was not a guy that we couldn't afford to lose. Now Carr is in Dallas and he is there number 1. Can he do it? He might be able to. But He might not. We don't no. He has never been asked to be a number 1 before for a whole season. Carr wanted to be paid like a number 1 when he was the number 2. I have no problem with letting him go he hadn't yet proven he was a number 1 and was asking that money.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12