Apparently i'm the only one who wishes kc would get him
    Instant upgrade over palko.

...So, why did the Jags cut him???

David Garrard makes sense for Chiefs

September, 6, 2011Sep 6
    4:40
    PM ET

By Bill Williamson

You have to put the Kansas City Chiefs on the list of teams that will likely consider signing quarterback David Garrard. He was cut by Jacksonville on Tuesday.

The Chiefs have the worst backup quarterback situation in the AFC West. It would make perfect sense for the team to consider adding a veteran who has started 76 NFL games.

David Garrard

#9 QB
    Jacksonville Jaguars

2010 STATS
    • Att366
    • Comp236
    • Yds2734
    • TD23
    • Int15
    • Rat90.8

Arguably, even at this late date, the Chiefs would be better off signing Garrard now and have him quickly learn their system this week just in case starter Matt Cassel can’t play rather than relying on backup Tyler Palko. Cassel suffered a rib injury last Thursday at Green Bay. Cassel practiced on Monday and he said he plans to play Sunday. But, the fact that he is nursing a rib injury means he could suffer a setback during the game.

If that happens, the current plan is for Palko to play. The 28-year-old has thrown just six passes in regular-season action. Palko has been decent at times in the preseason. But the general consensus has been if a better backup option emerges, the Chiefs could look to add a veteran between Cassel and rookie Ricky Stanzi.

Garrard is a solid option. But there will likely be competition for Garrard. If the Chiefs want Garrard they may have to move quickly.

Not sure what we could pick him up for but a quick search showed he is due 7,975,000 for 2011, 8,475,000 for 2012 and 8,975,000 for 2013 but read that the jags freed 9 mil in cap room?

From a numbers stand point I think its a stretch for Pioli to sign him for insurance. I think it would be a decent move given we have cap space though.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Not sure what we could pick him up for but a quick search showed he is due 7,975,000 for 2011, 8,475,000 for 2012 and 8,975,000 for 2013 but read that the jags freed 9 mil in cap room?

From a numbers stand point I think its a stretch for Pioli to sign him for insurance. I think it would be a decent move given we have cap space though.
    Since he was released, the Chiefs would by no means be on the hook for his Jags salary, and unless that money was guaranteed (pretty sure it's not), the Jags are not on the hook either. The Chiefs would just sign him to a new contract. $3-4M is about the going rate for a veteran backup. Kerry Collins got $4M from the Colts, but I have to think that part of that was to get him out of retirement.

I think its a no brainer sign him cut Palko keep Stanzi in alot better shape.

I actually think Garrard is a decent qb, and last year his gameplan was similar to Cassel he threw a lot of short passes on a predominantly running team. The only difference is Gerrard had took more chances and threw a lot more interceptions but he also had a higher completion rate. I think Garrard would make a great back up, but I'm not sure if he would accept that role, if Palmer doesn't go back to he bengals I could see someone like Garrard swooping in and taking the job.

Yes please! GO GET HIM NOW CHIEFS! If Cassel can't play anytime this season. We are screwed. It wil be a tight race for him but the Chiefs have no reason not to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Since he was released, the Chiefs would by no means be on the hook for his Jags salary, and unless that money was guaranteed (pretty sure it's not), the Jags are not on the hook either. The Chiefs would just sign him to a new contract. $3-4M is about the going rate for a veteran backup. Kerry Collins got $4M from the Colts, but I have to think that part of that was to get him out of retirement.
    Is that as long as no one signs him before the first game? just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast