Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sharing pics of my trip to Canton for DT's Induction...

Default Sharing pics of my trip to Canton for DT's Induction...

Prior to sharing my pics, I'd like to share first a bit of a personal story. I've been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid, my dad becoming a fan in '63 when they moved to KC...I was raised with Red & Gold blood, haha.

As with many Chiefs fans, DT became my all time favorite Chief...not only as a result of his obvious talent as an athelete, but for who he was as a human being...his huge heart & compassion towards helping others.

I can honestly state, that although I didn't know DT personally, I felt much love for him as a Chief on field, & for the person he was off field. I never visited DT's modest home in suburban KC, but he visited mine weekly. I knew him, though he didn't know me.

When DT tragically lost his life, at some point amidst my tears, shock, & sadness...it occurred to me that someday DT would be inducted into the NFL HOF. I considered the thought of DT's future Induction, from that point forward as being his final big play in the NFL. I made myself a promise, that come hell or high water I would be there personally to witness DT's Induction Ceremony. I saw my presence there being my way of honoring and thanking DT for all he gave from his body, heart & soul as a Chief to his team and fans, as well as his contributions to the Kansas City community.

I miss Derrick, and to this day still find myself at times looking for the #58 on the field of play. Derrick is on God's Pro-Bowl team now, and no doubt is smiling down upon Arrowhead each & every game day. :)

Awesome Photos!! thanks for sharing..I know there are lots of jealous Chiefs fans out there!!!
    and yea....LOVE the truck!!! (what I could see of it in one pic) LOL!
    **ChiefsChick**

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    LOL @ 'Canton Connie'...not a bad idea! Friends & family nicknamed me 'Redzone CJ' a long time ago...which explains the 'Redzone' tag on my truck. They limit to 7 letters, so couldn't add the CJ.

A few yrs ago I joined a couple other Chiefs websites, posted briefly...can't remember the names off hand, went by RedzoneCJ there. People didn't reply back much, so lost interest I suppose. Around Super Bowl this year I decided for some reason to give Chiefs website participation another try...found this website then.

Y'all are much friendlier here, haha. THANKS! :)
    Welcome, and good to hear. Just make yourself at home here.

That was awesome. Thank you Connie.

Thanks for sharing the photos and your experience at Canton!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBree View Post
    Awesome Photos!! thanks for sharing..I know there are lots of jealous Chiefs fans out there!!!
    and yea....LOVE the truck!!! (what I could see of it in one pic) LOL!
    Thanks!

My trip to Canton was indeed a blessing! There were many obstacles to overcome, and at times I wasn't sure I'd over come them, but with help from friends encouraging & supporting me emotionally to make the trip...I did it, and a 9 yr dream came true! :)

Here's a better pic of my truck, right after I spent about 4 hrs cleaning it preparing to head for Canton. I bought it a little over 4 yrs ago, only 10 payt's left thankfully, haha. It's been a bit of a struggle making the payt's since divorcing back in March, single income now, but I'm managing! I'd likely go without eating to keep my Chiefs truck...it too was a dream come true when I bought it. I'll never trade it in, too many sentimental memories related to family, friends, Chiefs, etc...it's mine for life! :)

As a 49er fan I must say Connie those pics are awesome and your truck is great...thanx for sharing

Women who behave,rarely make history.

totally awesome!!rep

here you are. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. Would love to have been there, maybe one day, it's on my 'bucket list'

Now looking back at all the AFC practices we got to enjoy I should have taken more pictures.

Do you have anything signed by Derrick Thomas?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/smokesomekill/Sports-Diverse/KANSASCITYCHIEFS.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
    here you are. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. Would love to have been there, maybe one day, it's on my 'bucket list'

Now looking back at all the AFC practices we got to enjoy I should have taken more pictures.

Do you have anything signed by Derrick Thomas?

Yes, I do as a matter of fact. I have an authentic DT jersey he signed and donated for auction to raise money for the Third & Long Foundation back in the late 90's I think it was.

I also have the DT Christmas ornament sold through his Third & Long Foundation that has his printed autograph, but he also signed it personally on the other side, another charity auction purchase.

I have the solo Derrick Thomas 1990's era poster that has him in Native American attire, it too autographed by DT. That poster is the mate to 'The Tribe' poster with the Defense all dressed in Native attire, including DT, which I also have, but not autographed by any of the Defensive players shown.

I have DT's autographed 8x10, and a football as well, however...my football wasn't game used, or related to a Pro-Bowl. It too was purchased at a charity auction several years ago.

I ran into DT once at a convenience store off I-29. He was buying a Honey Bun I can remember, haha...a guy in line paying next to him...joked with him about it. DT laughed, and said, "awe man, don't tell anyone!".

Carl made note a few times in his speech about DT's remarkable captivating huge smile. I saw his smile that day in person at the convenience store, and it was captivating, so understood when Carl spoke of it in the manner he did. DT's smile could easily warm even the coldest heart.

I didn't approach DT that day, I dunno...I'll ask for an autograph while a celebrity is on the job so to speak, but for some reason refrain if they're on personal time.

I do regret now not approaching DT, at least shaking his hand and thanking him for all he gave us fans on the field, and off. I'm not one to have many regrets in life, but that is one. :(

I'm green with envy!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast