Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Default Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts.......

22-35. 63%

Net passing yards........248

Yards per attempt..........7.08

Yards per completion.........11.27

Interceptions....................ZERO

Sacked........................5 times for a loss of 25 yards

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way.

He is no star. He's just a decent+ or maybe decent++ quarterback. He won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games.

Lots of quarterbacks like that in the NFL.

Here's what makes Alex Smith a little different from so many other "decent+" quarterbacks......

Alex Smith is a "clutch" quarterback. He can have a lousy game and get chased all over the field, but after throwing no INTs, he will put together one clutch drive when it really counts. He'll lock the lead away or maybe even GOD FORBID get you that go ahead score.

I LIKE Alex Smith.

I don't think he is going to win us a SuperBowl, but I think he is going to be an important part of making our Chiefs respectable again...and maybe get us a playoff win or two.

From there it is up to Reid and Dorsey.

So what does everybody else think????

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Just don't get me too excited buddy! There have been SOOOOO many disappointments over the years. My caution is armor against heartbreak.
    my disappointments go back to the late 60's and 70's. at my age ill jump for joy at just 1 PO win
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

We only have 3 games to judge and I will say he is clutch...not always lighting it up but when needed to get it done he has with the most recent example of a 95 yard drive to win the game and eat the clock...I will say it again 3rd and 10 from the 5...first down...sure the receiver has to make it happen but a lot can go wrong there and the pass has to be almost perfect for it to all happen...they don't score on that drive and it can be over...before the last game he was perfect in the red zone and I will give him and the offense the benefit of the doubt on a short week...I will take a QB like Smith any day over a gunslinger like Jeff George or Jamarcus Russell they have won nothing...even the top tier QBs that have won needed defense in most cases to win it all...defense wins championships

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    my disappointments go back to the late 60's and 70's.
    Mine too. I still remember the New York Times article at the start of the '71 or '72 season....."Taylor Glue Fingered". That was the start of the disappointments. With the exception of the Montana years it's been a long hard road since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Dog View Post
    We only have 3 games to judge and I will say he is clutch...not always lighting it up but when needed to get it done he has with the most recent example of a 95 yard drive to win the game and eat the clock...I will say it again 3rd and 10 from the 5...first down...sure the receiver has to make it happen but a lot can go wrong there and the pass has to be almost perfect for it to all happen...they don't score on that drive and it can be over...before the last game he was perfect in the red zone and I will give him and the offense the benefit of the doubt on a short week...I will take a QB like Smith any day over a gunslinger like Jeff George or Jamarcus Russell they have won nothing...even the top tier QBs that have won needed defense in most cases to win it all...defense wins championships
    I know....it's hard not to get excited about this team. What is so strange is that it is old fashioned football. Like back in the day when they used to say "Defense wins championships". Here we are in an NFL that thinks offense is everything yet we are winning games with defense. Maybe the "worm is turning" and we are at the forefront of a new/old movement in the NFL.....

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Just don't get me too excited buddy! There have been SOOOOO many disappointments over the years. My caution is armor against heartbreak.
    Don't let a fear of the lows keep you from fully enjoying the highs!

Just keep everything in perspective. It's just football. It's pure entertainment.How the Chiefs do should have no direct effect on your daily lives or rob you of other joys.

It's been quite a while since the Chiefs looked this good. Enjoy it while it is here, because it won't last forever.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Don't let a fear of the lows keep you from fully enjoying the highs!

Just keep everything in perspective. It's just football. It's pure entertainment.How the Chiefs do should have no direct effect on your daily lives or rob you of other joys.

It's been quite a while since the Chiefs looked this good. Enjoy it while it is here, because it won't last forever.
    you must be physic pal. we had a sportscaster here named Don Fourtune, back in the 70's who said about the same. "its just a game". man did his phone lines light up
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    you must be physic pal. we had a sportscaster here named Don Fourtune, back in the 70's who said about the same. "its just a game". man did his phone lines light up
    Sacrilege, I know!

I just want one more damned Superbowl before I take the big dirt nap.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast